Aftermarket Can recommendations?

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section highlights some key aftermarket accessories or installation walkthroughs that people have found useful.

Moderator: Moderators

oilhead_02

Aftermarket Can recommendations?

Post by oilhead_02 »

I am looking for opinions on the best aftermarket cans out there. Here is my criteria. I have an 04 rr and love it. I also like the look of the stock can better than just about all aftermaket cans. Unfortunatley, the lawnmower sounds is not idea... With that said, what are your recommendations of the best aftermaket can for sound quality...Loud is not what i want, just dont want the lawnmower sound. Its an 1150 after all, lets make it sound a little more like one.

I have heard staintune is excellent but dont like the smallish size and little nipple on the end!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

There are so many out there to choose from...I'm sure they all work.

I would recommend getting one that will not need regular re packing.

About the Staintune....I've seen plenty of them....but I've never seen one with a nipple... :shock:

DJ
Last edited by DJ Downunder on Sun May 29, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

You can always cut it open, take some of the baffling out and re-weld it........can anyone guess who in this board did that?

No, it wasn't me........ :lol: :lol:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
DG02
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DG02 »

I also like the look of the stock muffler better than any of the aftermarket exhausts. The solution was to get a Laser Y-pipe, eliminating the catalytic converter, and keep the BMW muffler. It sheds a lot of weight as well as getting rid of a massive amount of heat trapped right under the gearbox.

For my ears, at least, it is the perfect sound for a BMW. Not as sexy as my old bevel drive Ducati with Conti's on it, (what is?) but a really nice growl under acceleration that tones down when at steady throttle. A lot of the stock muffling effect comes from the cat, you may have seen threads where people have removed the muffler and run with just the cat.

You might try a Y-pipe first, and if that's not the sound you're looking for, add an aftermarket muffler later.
Dave
Member #2
Board #1