Riding Pants

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section highlights some key aftermarket accessories or installation walkthroughs that people have found useful.

Moderator: Moderators

Rootin55
Donating Member #: 0

Riding Pants

Post by Rootin55 »

Being it gets hotter than a two peckered billy goat down here, I currently have a pair of MeshTex pants. Thank God I've never had to put them to the test, but in the event I do, I would think the need for more/better armor is in order. There is padding in the MeshTex hip area as there is in the knee area. I've tried some CE type in the knee slots but it doesn't seem to fit correctly. Went by the new BMW shop close to the house to get some oil to change the fluids and was looking at the BMW stuff. No hip armor, but there seems to be slots to add some. Just read a thread in Aventure Rider about someone who's knee exploded in an accident, he was OK everywhere else BUT....he was dressed everywhere else, was wearing jeans. Enough of the jabbering........I want pants with good ventilation, CE in the knee & hip area in addition to abrasion resistance. Is this doable? Recommendations.

I might be a fixin to get me a pair.......(this is a semi private joke for Acacia)
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Root -
You have a very good brand of pants already. I have a pair of those First Gear Mesh Pants for hot and a pair of First Gear HT Overpants for wet or cold weather.
Any tailor shop can adjust the armor pockets for you.
Due to an "inseam/waist ratio imbalance" problem I have, I'm getting both of mine modified to relocate the upgraded CE Core Comp armor so the knee armor won't hit me in the shins!
I'm also looking into a new First Gear CE armor that is pretty thin flat "rubber". Some new hi-tech stuff that passes CE approval but is thin & not at all bulky. But I don't know enough about it to discuss it yet.
Any BMW shop can get the upgraded armor for you. Lots on the market, I am just more familiar with First Gear.
The guy I was talking about on the Texas Hill Country thread that was hit by the giant deer was wearing First Gear Armored Mesh jacket & pants. Both are now toast but saved his bacon. He even said the ER folks were very complimentary of the gear.
He is going to loan me the jacket, pants & helmet and I'm going to do a "tech session" for our Inside Sales reps here at Tucker Rocky. I want them to know what this stuff does and how well it works. Plus, there are a few squiddies here that wear only baggy pants and t-shirts for "safety gear" and I want them to take a close look!
The FG stuff is made of synthetics other than Nylon. Nylon will melt into your skin in a slide, polyester won't.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Try the BMW "Summer Pants"

Post by TonyT607 »

Root, I've got the BMW summer trousers in black and tan and I think they're pretty good. You're right, no hip armor, but they appear well made and they have CE pads in the knees. Plus, they unzip at the knee and turn into a pair of not-too-dorky shorts. Don't laugh ! I've actually used this feature several times on trips to the Jersey shore. Some of these NJ beach towns don't allow changing in the public bathrooms so all I do is park, put my boots/jacket in the system cases, and unzip away.........and walk across the street to the sand.

8)
mattpeyton
Basic User

Bohn Armor

Post by mattpeyton »

I replaced all the armor in my Meshtex suit with Bohn armor. With a little (very little) trimming it fits in the pockets nicely.

http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/products.php?id=19

It all costs $90
Matthew Peyton
Silver 2004 R1150R
http://www.peyton.com
gel9001

bmw pants

Post by gel9001 »

Rootin,
Try BMW's new Cooling Machine pants and jacket, top of the line. I don't recall if they have hip protection, but they definately have pockets to add ce protectors later on.

Gene
wncbmw
Lifer

armor

Post by wncbmw »

I had some First Gear mesh pants last year and they are very cool but after years of an Aerostich, I just didn't feel the protection was sufficent. I sold them and got some high dollar Vanson perfed pants. Certainly great pants but you do look like a racer type all the time wearing them.

I am about to experiment with Bohn mesh armored shorts under another pair of mesh pants. (Olympia). You can also get the mesh pants with knee armor or both shorts and pants in lycra instead of mesh. Hasn't been hot enough to try yet but it looks to be a great solution for hot riding. They fit under the pants (made to fit under jeans) and should give a good level of protection while allowing air flow around the "equipment". Even have a tail bone pad. Might be worth checking out. The shorts were less than $100.
jamais
Basic User

Post by jamais »

Hey Rootin, I live in Kingwood and share the summer heat with you. In addition to the knee armor in the BMW Summer trousers, there are also hip pockets for optional hip armor. I would give serious consideration to them.

I've just about bought everything. I own a pair of Hood Jeans which are cotton jeans and full lenght kevlar lining underneath with Knox armor for the hips and knees. Looks pretty "cool" but for summer they are anything but cool. That Kevlar lining will protect you from road rash but NO air gets through it. I don't see how the cops wear bullet proof vests with so little air passage.

Just recently I bought a pair of Fieldsheer Titanium Air Pants. Really nice for the money and excellent CE Armor. But they are more of a Sport rider's tapered fit with the legs fitting inside your boots. Of course they only come in black. What's with black only? The armor resides behind ballistic nylon so that cuts down on air flow through the pants as well. But where the mesh is, there is ample air flow.

My opinon regarding armor: It doesn't matter how good it is, if the garment isn't snug enough to hold the armor in the intended area of protection then it will probably roll out of position and may not provide any protection what so ever. Specifically, I have a pair of Motopants which are 1000 denier Cordura. This is a well made overpant. The armor, though not CE type, covers large areas; but the overpants are somewhat of a loose fit, consequently the whole pant leg could roll around my leg like a pretzel. The armor's protective qualities are put into question.

By the way, its nice having a real dealership near us. Its a first class operation.
Security is a myth
Ed K
Lifer

Post by Ed K »

Hey Guys. . .I have the BMW summer pants as well, and also purchased the hip inserts. . .a definite add that any BMW dealer will have.

Also, I have the BMW Venting Machine jacket for upper body. . .which I love. Can also get the Venting Machine pants. . .but they did not seem as ventilated to me as the jacket, and about the same protection as the BMW summer pants (which cost much less).
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member
Airman1

Darien Pants

Post by Airman1 »

I've got the Aerostich Darien pants which I wear year round. I bought the optional hip pads for them. Since there is no insulation in them they're fairly cool even in hot weather. And very water proof if you should need it. Just for summer though, I've been considering a pair of the "Arborwear" pants they sell. They're like a really heavey duty pair of jeans with Tf2 armor in the knees.
old paul
Basic User

hot pants

Post by old paul »

Am using the Joe Rocket mesh pants over bicycle shorts. Lets in a lot of air, but they do look kind of goofy in a restaurant.