Remus exhaust on 1150R?

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section highlights some key aftermarket accessories or installation walkthroughs that people have found useful.

Moderator: Moderators

hotzuk
Donating Member #: 0

Remus exhaust on 1150R?

Post by hotzuk »

Hey, has anyone installed a Remus aftermarket exhaust on our beloved R1150R. I am looking at just the slip on pipe and not the full system that involves removing the catalytic converter.
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

I have a Rockster and I have the full Remus Revolution system on it. Another fellow I know has an R1150R with the full Remus on it as well. Don't know of anybody with just a slip-on. It's a waste of money, I'd say, not to go with the full system.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

I have the Remus Genesis aluminum can.
I'm very impressed with the fit & finish and build quality of the canister. Lots of very nice finish work and the can is very sturdy. I've had mine for 30K miles with no probs at all.
I also have the Remus cat eliminator but I will soon be changing that back to the Y-pipe I had originally. These are also well made and sturdy.
I doubt the performance is any better than stock but it does have a little more "sound". The real bonus is with the Y-pipe in place you lose about 25 lbs.
Go for it!
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

i have a remus wiyh y pipe and love the s#!t out of it from low to high end and blurping in traffic ,well worth the money :wink:
ride it like you stole it
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

i have a remus wiyh y pipe and love the s#!t out of it from low to high end and blurping in traffic ,well worth the money :wink:
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Hey you boys with the Y-pipes -
Do you have more occassional exhaust backfires with the Y or stock?
I had a Y before I got the pre-muff/cat eliminator and it popped a lot so I traded. I think now it just needed to be sealed up better.
I have another Y now and will seal it up well. It's a nice used one I ground down the GS brackets on it then polished the whole thing...good as new!
What's your experience?
Dave

beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

ive only had a couple of very small pops and they were good ones [no what i mean] even with hard engine braking on the twisties, dam bike runs better every time i ride it... sorry about the double post :oops:
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Yeah, darth- I now have the Remus with a Y-pipe and it spits 'n pops on deceleration. I think it's just air leaks that need to be sealed. I love the sound of the thing, and it's 19lbs lighter than the stock pieces. Not to mention I think it looks great and has a nice throaty growl. I'm curious- I "think" there's a minor loss of low-end grunt with the Y-pipe, although I certainly enjoy how the bike feels "uncorked" at higher revs... does the cat eliminator feel the same as the Y-pipe performance wise? I have the notion that it may retain a bit more of the "grunt" down low? Does the bike rev as freely with it?
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
bad n ruin
Lifer

Seal's the deal

Post by bad n ruin »

I have the Y with the stock can and will assure you, if you seal it right, there will be nothing more than a very occasional back-pop. In fact, to be honest, I had more backfiring through the stock cat/can arrangement.

I think the key ingredient here is the kind of sealant you use. I used a 3M gasket sealant. It's the typical high-temp rust-red color that you'll notice with high-temp RTV sealants, but a thinner consistency. I'm not sayin' this is the end-all, be-all - just that it worked for me. Beyond my expectations. :)
Ride to work, work to ride
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

r1150rider -
The cat eliminator/pre muff is just a big empty can with no baffles...I verified that with a Remus tech guy I met at work. Sort of an "expansion chamber" but doesn't work like a 2-stroke chamber, just allows an "appropriate" amount of back pressure which they do need. I'm certain this does have some small effect on performance, probably affects the torque curve to a degree.
Although I switched from a Y-pipe to the pre-muff, it was 3 years ago and all I really remember is that the pre-muff is quieter (too quiet) and doesn't pop as much. If there had been any noticable power/erformance delivery I would remember that, believe me!
My guess is the Y-pipe and pre-muff just swap exhaust gas velocity for backpressure with a minor change is the "shape" of the power band and little, if any, overall effect.
Some guys with more exhaust tuning knowledge/experience need to chime in!
Dave

fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

I, too, have the Y-pipe, and occasionally it pops, but that's about it. I can "feel" the better throttle response throughout the whole range of RPM, especially at mid range and upper range.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »