Recommendations for Modular Helmets?

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section highlights some key aftermarket accessories or installation walkthroughs that people have found useful.

Moderator: Moderators

Shaman
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Recommendations for Modular Helmets?

Post by Shaman »

Went to 3 shops this past weekend and they all had the same brand Modulars (HJC).

They seemed kind of clunky. Fit was "ok", but the Frontal action was catchy and did not have a real slick feel to it. The visor was not as smooth as my RF700 either.

Any recommendations?
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

KBC has a new one that's pretty cool.
Nolan probably sells more modulars than any other.
I had a Shoei Duotec and later a Synchrotec and was satisfied with both...until I got the Arai and saw what noisy, heavy big clunkers they are.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

I had a Shoei Syncrotec and the shape pressed on my forehead, so I got a Schuberth Concept - it is okay and I use it - shape is good but I don't like the latch mechanism and it is LOUD!.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"

Post by Guest »

I'm using a Schuberth. It fits pretty well, is somewhat heavier than other helmets, is loud at anything over 35 mph, and it wasn't cheap. It has a couple of features beyond its flipness that I really like. The chin vent breeze can be directed either up inside the faceshield (helps in removing fogginess) or down to cool your chin. The faceshield pops away from its seated position about a sixteenth of an inch and allows a breeze to ventilate your whole face. Good to help with internal fog and great on long, hot rides. You can cool your face but avoid direct contact with rocks, insects and low flying deer.

My wife has a Schuberth she absolutely hates. She ended up getting an HJC. It fit her better and she claims it is quieter than the Schuberth. On the other hand, the shield mechanism is not as smooth or accomodating as the Schuberth. When you want a little breeze you have to open the shield a skosh at the bottom. But it is hard to achieve that just-right sliver of openess.

My dealer used to carry Schuberth in quantity, but now Nolan has more shelf space.

I'd look at the KBC FFR if I could find a dealer around here that carried them.
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Post by Shaman »

Doing some quick searches, it looks like the modulars are about to go through a generation change.

Here is a review of the new Nolan:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3258
dallara

Modular Helmets

Post by dallara »

I just switched from a Schuberth Concept to a Caberg Justissimo (formerly called a Jarow Mono X2) and I couldn't be happier!

BTW, Thanks Britnheaven! :smt023

Anyway, back to the helmets...

Mind you, I love "flip-face" helmets, primarily because I am an eyeglasses wearer and I got tired ot the ritual of pulling my glasses off to remove my full-face helmet and then the tediuos "feeding" the earpieces on my glasses back through the eyeport at every stop. It had driven back to open face helmets until I discovered "modulars".

I was a dedicated Shoei wearer (they just fit me well), so I tried a Syncrotec first, but for some reason the Syncrotec fit "different" than any of my other Shoei's (RJ-Air, RFR, RF-900, and a Shoei MX helmet) and I just couldn't get it "right", so off to shopping again...

I tried on an HJC at a dealer, and he even let me take one on a short test ride. It was okay, something with it didn't quite fit right either (and I have two other HJC's that fit just fine - one full face and one open face). I also didn't like its face-piece latching mechanism, and I could never get the shield to seal up nicely...

Back to shopping...

Tried on a Nolan at another dealer, and it just did not fit at all. Ditto a Lazer.

Then I tried on a Schuberth, and I thought I had found the "one", especially with its great added extra of the separate, flip-down sun visor. I bought one immediately, and that's what I rode with the past year or so. I made one small mod along the way to the Schuberth... I removed the chin curtain. Not only did this give much better airflow and ventilation (important here in South Texas heat), but it actually made the helmet quieter for me at speed, though I am at a loss as to why. It also reduced (but did not eliminate) the Schuberth's tendency to "lift" at really high speeds.

I could deal with the noise of the Schuberth, as I mostly ride with earplugs or with my Etymotic ER-6's and an iPod, but it most definitely is one noisy helmet, with all sorts of different roars, rushes, and whistles that vary like an out-of-tune symphony depending on how your turn or tilt your head. Still, its various convenience features, along with its build quality and secure latches, etc. made it my favorite helmet for a year.

But then it just bagan to "bug" me more and more... It would buffet severely at hyper-legal speeds. The shield's detents are not particular strong and the if I had the shield open at any speed above 35 mph it would slam shut. It still had a constant feeling of "lift" at any speed over 70 mph, too...

So, I started reading and researching again, and had actually decided on just getting a Shoei Syncrotec and trying to make it fit "right" when I saw a post here with Bob/Britnheaven wearing a Jarow Mono X2. I asked him about it, both here on the board and privately, and from his review and experience decided to give one a try. No one I could find here in Texas carried them so I would be taking a chance on no trial fitting, but decided to go ahead anyway, primarily because the Jarow/Caberg has the same flip-down sun visor arrangement as the Schuberth.

I found them in stock in Silver (the color I wanted) at Sierra BMW and gave 'em a call, and three days later had am XL Silver Caberg Justissimo on my bench top.

The fit and finish is outstanding, and it is actually painted, with a deep clear coat over the paint and its logo decals, giving a true impression of quality. The face piece latches on mine are metal (apparently the earlier Jarow's had plastic latches in this area) and lock down with secure authority. The quick release is much easier to use once you get the hang of it than the Schuberth's, and it also has a single D-ring so you can lock it to a helmet lock. The actual "fit", for me, was much, much better than the Schuberth, Shoei, or anything else I had tried... (I was very lucky there). The sun visor works much better than the Schuberths, and comes down farther, too. The shield is very high-quality, and plenty thick, and claims to be treated to be fog-free. Optically it appears to be perfect, and is actually quite easy to change (no tools needed) once you walk through it. It has a removable Cool-Max liner so it is easy to clean (the Schuberth's is removable, too, BTW), but it has much thicker cheek pads than the Schuberth. A big plus over many flip-face helmets is that the face piece is lined with actual EPS material rather than just some soft foam. It comes with both a removable breath/nos guard for cold weather as well as a removable chin curtain.

Now the best part... NO buffeting, NO lift, and MUCH less noise. It is still not as quiet as my Shoei RF-900 or RF-R, but much, much quieter than the Shuberth, and it's a different kind of noise... No high-pitched whistling at all, but definitely some wind roar, however, it doesn't seem to change pitch and tone all over the scale like the Schuberth did whenever you move your head. The shield has strong detents, too, and a neat "lock down" if you close it and press down on it firmly. You can hear it snap down and hear the "lock" when you close it all the way, and then the shield is sealed to the front of the helmet with gasket strips mounted on the helmet.

Even though it weighs only slightly less than the Schuberth, it feels much lighter. It is also not nearly as BIG overall as the Schuberth, nor presents near as much frontal area, which may be why it both feels lighter while riding and doesn't make as much noise.

It is both DOT approved and meets the highest European ECE standards - and if you read the recent "Motorcyclist" article you know that's plenty good.

It is also a good deal less expensive than either a Schuberth or a Shoei Syncrotec...

All in all, I am extemely happy with the Caberg Justissimo, and consider it a great improvement over the Schuberth.

Anybody want to buy a good, used Silver Schuberth Concept, complete with spare sun visor shield? :lol:

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dallara
R1150R in Africa
Basic User

Post by R1150R in Africa »

What are the experiences of anyone having used the BMW modular helmets (I can't for the life of me remember the names of them at the moment !) ?
Gary
'05 Dark Ferro-Metallic R1150R
Johannesburg, South Africa
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Caberg Justissimo

Post by rdsmith3 »

Dallara

How did the sizing of your Caberg Justissimo compare to your Shoei RF 900? In other words, if you were XL for the Caberg Justissimo, what size were you for the Shoei?

I am a Shoei user, and based on your positive review, am considering the Caberg.

Are there pictures of this helmet anywhere?

Thanks.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
dallara

Well, RDSmith3...

Post by dallara »

Well, Bob/RDSmith3...

First off, here's a review with some good pictures of the hat:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... ustissimo/

I purchased mine through Sierra BMW because at the time they were the only place I could find that had an Silver one in size XL, and that had spare face shields in stock (I always buy a spare shield when I get a new helmet in case I need one in a hurry, like on Sundays when the M/C shops are closed... :lol: )

As far as sizing goes... Well, I have always been kind of funny about that...

In an Arai I wear an XL... both in a full-face or an open-face.

In a HJC I wear an XL in a full-face, but a Large in an open-face...

In a Shoei it is much the same as an HJC - I wear a Large in an open-face but primarily an XL in a full-face... However, my RF-R Shoei is a Large, as is my old GRV... But the RF-900 is an XL. Go figure? :smt017

Schuberth's run small as hell, and I had to get an XXL to even get close, and it was pretty tight until it broke in.

From what I gathered from Bob/Britnheaven and his experience with Arai's, I took a guess and went with the XL for the Caberg, and simply lucked out. It fits as good as any helmet I can remember and I have nearly 800 miles in it now so it is certainly getting broke in, and it only seems to fit better and better.

I would say if you wore an XL in a full-face Shoei go with the XL in the Caberg. From what I understand they make three different thicknesses of cheekpads if you need to adjust it there. I believe they come with the "medium" cheekpads, BTW.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dallara
Last edited by dallara on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
denverchuck
Lifer

Post by denverchuck »

rdsmith,

Check out this review, it seems to echo what Dallara has said. Not much info on sizing though.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/jarow/mono-x2/

I too am interested in sizing on this helmet, price seems reasonable!

Are there any others on the board that can give additional sizing comparisons / feedback???
Lifer #400
denverchuck
Lifer

Post by denverchuck »

once again, beat me to the punch,

Thanks for the additional info 8)
Lifer #400
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Re: Modular Helmets

Post by Shaman »

Dallara wrote:I just switched from a Schuberth Concept to a Caberg Justissimo (formerly called a Jarow Mono X2) and I couldn't be happier!
Clicking through the links provided that is one snazzy looking lid!
It just looks 'different' than most of the other offerings.

I highly doubt there is a remote chance this is carried here in Maine.
Know any good vendors with easy return policy?
7-3/4 Headband....
dallara

Hey, Shaman...

Post by dallara »

Hey, Shaman...

Check with the folks at Sierra BMW (http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/), though I would heartily suggest calling them rather than doing the purchase online. That way you can make absolutely sure they have what you want in stock (Caberg now makes a really trick looking multi-colored silver-gray lid in the Justissimo, and if one had been in stock I would have bought it...), etc.

They were very helpful with the sizing questions, too.

When I called 'em they boxed it all while I was on the phone and called me back later to tell me it was on its way!

I'm sure if you talk to them on the phone they have some sort of return policy.

Cheers!

Dallara
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Re: Hey, Shaman...

Post by Shaman »

Dallara wrote:Hey, Shaman...
I'm sure if you talk to them on the phone they have some sort of return policy.
Maybe if I call. This is from their website:
Available Colors:
- Light Silver Metallic
- Dark Silver Metallic/Titanium
- Black Metallic
- White

Caberg Sizing Chart
6 7/8 = Small
7 1/8 = Medium
7 3/8 = Large
7 5/8 = X Large
7 7/8 = XX Large

Be wise, know your size--NO RETURNS.
Titanium looks sweet.
dallara

Wow, Shaman...

Post by dallara »

Wow, Shaman...

I never saw the "no returns" deal when I was shopping for one...

Hmmm... Gives one pause. However, the guy I spoke to there was damn helpful and quite customer service oriented, so I wonder...

BTW, here's the "Speed Graphic" multi-color I was talking about...

http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.j ... ID=1521754

Man, I really like the way it looks, and as I said, if there had been one of those in stock I would have gladly paid the extra $30... :shock:

Cheers!

Dallara
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

What are the experiences of anyone having used the BMW modular helmets (I can't for the life of me remember the names of them at the moment !)
I have a BMW system 4 evo flip helmet....I've had it almost 4 yrs now and love it.

It still looks and works like new...and I ride every day.

The new BMW system 5 in due out soon so the system 4's have dropped in price to clear stock.

DJ
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have the Nolan N100, and it is good for what I paid for it, but my previous helmet was a BMW System 2(or 3). The BMW was much better, the vents actuall worked properly, and it was less noisey.

I would love to get a System 4, but they are not available in the USA.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Bry
Basic User

System 5

Post by Bry »

Hey DJ!

Have you seen a system 5 yet? none over here... If so I'm curious, arethey significantly lighter? As when you hold the system 4 and BMW's new non-modular, they weight difference is amazing! :shock:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Re: Wow, Shaman...

Post by Shaman »

Dallara wrote: BTW, here's the "Speed Graphic" multi-color I was talking about...
Even better.

We have a small helmet store here in Maine that might order me a special order so I can try it out. Not sure what my 'committment' would be if it did not fit. I'll have to give them a call this weekend.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Have you seen a system 5 yet? none over here
No...not yet...I think September...the UK has them already (I think)...I want one.

DJ