Summer jacket revisited....

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section highlights some key aftermarket accessories or installation walkthroughs that people have found useful.

Moderator: Moderators

Pat
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Summer jacket revisited....

Post by Pat »

I stumbled onto a very favorable review for the Rev'it Mesh Jacket, does anybody have any opinions to offer with regard to this jacket?

I really liked the way my First Gear Mesh Tex performed, but I'm seeking a little more protection via First Gear's Leather Mesh Tex. Has anybody had any experience with this First Gear Mesh and it's leather sleeves & shoulders? The Central Valley frequently gets to over one hundred degrees, and I'm stupid enough to (think I) enjoy riding in it.

(I'm still waiting to check out a Triumph Vented Raptor, and a mesh Cortech.)
Member #31
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Pat, that's the jacket I've been using the last 2 summers. Only once in August of Alabama heat and humidity did I have to shed it for more air. The leathert parts seem ample for the trade off in coolness.
vinman
Basic User

mesh jacket

Post by vinman »

I just order a Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket. Its a leather jacket that has zip off panels on front, back, and inside of arms to reveal a mesh jacket. So, when the leather panels are off the shoulders, forearms, and elbows are still leather. Newenough carries these.
HiOSilver
Lifer

Post by HiOSilver »

Pat,

I have the Rev'it Mesh Jacket with liner and really like it. I bought it with my bike last September, so it has not had to survive a Phoenix summer (the ulimate test). Having said that, it breathes very well so it's probably as cool as anything out there.

NOTE: If at all possible I recommend you buy it somewhere that you can try it on - the sizes run very funny. I'm 5'8 and had to go to the XXL to get a proper sleeve fit!!

Hope this helps!
-Chris
04 Silver R
Lifetime member #423
BOB W
Basic User

Post by BOB W »

Here is my 2 cents:

It may not have the best protection, but, I have two Joe Rocket Phoenix
Jackets and they provide all of the ventilation I need during the hot months here in Missouri. I have others, but, these are my favorites.

Bob
IN THE WIND
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Hein Gericke Timbuktu Air Jacket

Post by Pat »

I just got through doing a quick 163 miles to and from A&S BMW in Roseville. In addition to all of the BMW (expensive) designer stuff (wish I was RICH!), they had some First Gear and Hein Gericke (one is made by the other).

I fell in love with the VERY reasonably priced Hein Gericke Timbuktu Air jacket! This is a 3/4 length jacket for $230.00, with pockets galore, mesh panels, additional vents, removable rain-proof thermal liner, and armor. In Black & Charcoal it's quite a handsome jacket. The only problem I had with it was the back armor hiking up my neck and preventing my full-face helmet from giving me freedom of movement. (My bike has me leaning more forward than in an upright position, which is why my First Gear Kenya isn't working out for me ((my lower back is exposed)). I guess I could cut the back armor down at the neck in the Hein Gericke......

When I first saw the Joe Rocket Alter Ego, THAT is what I considered to be my PERFECT jacket! Joe Rocket doesn't fit me nearly as well as First Gear, in fact the Alter Ego doesn't fit me at all. Right now I'm leaning REAL hard toward the First Gear leather Mesh Tex; I only wish First Gear had a version of the Rocket's Alter Ego.......

I honestly believe I could have it covered for year 'round riding with the Mesh Tex and a Timbuktu in our California weather. I still wanna see what the appeal is for the Triumph vented Raptor before I make a move.

Did you know that the Track Day I plan to do does not recognize ANY mesh to be considered safe enough for the track?
Member #31
UHGORDO
Lifer

Jacket "Short"age...

Post by UHGORDO »

Pat, you mentioned that your jacket "rides a little high" in the back.

Man, Dude, you could put a killer sweet tattoo there and let everybody see it!

Dave
"Raising kids is better than raising cane!" Thanks for the Ride!
vinman
Basic User

mesh

Post by vinman »

I've heard also that mesh is generally unacceptable for track days.

The joe rocket seems to fit me fine so I opted for it. It doesn't have a thermal liner though, so a gerbig vest maybe on order too so I can use the same jacket year round.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Tattoo

Post by Pat »

Dave,

I have a problem with the soft, smooth, and sensual curve of a lady's lower-back marred with the addition of a tattoo...... and I think it could be just as disturbing (for different reasons) to catch a glimpse of a tattoo on the hairy lower-back of a man :shock: . Funny though, what would a guy have tattoo'ed back there?

Yeah, California weather could permit a guy to wear that Hein Gericke Air or First Gear Kilimanjaro Air year 'round, especially with the addition of a heated vest (if one does not make it a habit to ride frequently in heavy rain). I may still get one, but I think I need a serious mesh that allows more air to move.

I must admit though, the fact that race tracks don't recognize "mesh" as adequate safety equipment, gives pause for thought. I think it goes to what Dave suggested, it's just a matter of the compromises one chooses to make.
Member #31
buckeye96
Lifer

mesh jacket

Post by buckeye96 »

Pat,

I just got the Olympia Mesh jacket and it is great. It feels like a normal jacket, (meaning I enjoyed having it on and didn't fight the armor). I found it very comfortable and simple. I tired the jacket without the windbreaker and about froze my freakin a$$ off in 60 degree weather. My only problem was that I needed a 2XL and I am only 5'11" 200 lbs with a 44" chest.

I highly recommend this jacket.
Bones
Lifer

Mesh Jacket

Post by Bones »

Pat,
The track day thing: it is both a liability issue and statistical issue re the track and protection. You might not go down, but someone will, and they want to make sure everyone is protected. Mesh just doesn't deal with the abrasion issue nearly as well as non mesh, period. As on the track, if you go down, there is likely some sliding involved, they want your skin to stay attatched to you. Ride you own ride and you will stay upright. But there is always someone out there who will go down, it seems. You will love the track day experience,however. You will meet some nice folks and see some real smooth riding and probably learn some stuff. Enjoy!

Bones