600 mile check, valves, & "rubber burning smell&quo

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section discusses maintenence and service issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Jon

600 mile check, valves, & "rubber burning smell&quo

Post by Jon »

I'm getting close to that "600 mile check up" on my '04 1150R, and am not thrilled about the prospect of the 800 mile round trip to the selling dealer. I decided to do the work myself, but first I must find out what has to be done. Can someone direct me to the list of things to do, and the specific requirements of each thing.

I understand a valve check and or adjustment may be required and I know there are places on the web that give detailed instructions and will walk you through it. Could some one please direct me to these information sources.

The help I've gotten from this group has been great. Incidently I sent a post a little while ago requesting information about a mysterious rubber like burning smell coming from my engine. I spoke to the dealer about it and he said one of his other customers reported the same problem only to discover that he had picked up some asphalt on a freshly paved road and it settled on something hot and burned/smoked. We have not had a driving rain to wash off the accumulated tire bits and road surface material so I believe that's how I aquired my problem, the smell went away.

Thanks,
Jon
arkline
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by arkline »

Go here:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/

And check ouit the information on maintenance collected by one of the boards members.
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
MIXR
Basic User

Burning Rubber?

Post by MIXR »

Don't know about burning rubber smells, but it's got to be better than the stench of burning grasshoppers that I've got thanks to a few late hatchings out west around Wagga!

Damn they stink! Even after a good wash-down the smallest bits reek when I stop at the lights and they seem to take forever to burn off!

As for noises - Just go faster and leave the noise behind! Mine has all sorts of rattles, ticks and squeaks, but its all been checked, tightened, serviced and seems to run just fine. They are a noisy engine as they get older, but some are worse than others it seems.

I think you will pick a genuine 'bad' noise up pretty quickly if one develops.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
glennbtw
Basic User

burnt rubber smell

Post by glennbtw »

check along your exhaust system for some type of hose or other rubber item that may have been knocked out of place. that's the only thing hot enough to cook the rubber. on my 1100 it was the battery vent hose
95 R1100R
95 R1100RS
05 K1200LT
R1100RT-P in a previous life