Clutch fluid hose and bleed nipple

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section discusses maintenence and service issues.

Moderator: Moderators

whaycoc
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Clutch fluid hose and bleed nipple

Post by whaycoc »

The clutch fluid bleed nipple is a small device located on the right side of the bike zip tied up under the right passenger foot rest and bracket. You must take the right side panel off to get to it. Once the cover is off look for a round looking foam bundle zip tied up to the frame member. The size of the foam bundle is about the size of a roll of pennies - it is foam and the foam covers a tubular plastic thing that is attached to the end of a hose - this is the clutch fluid drain hose.

Take the zip tie off and get the foam off - now, you will need to put a new nipple on that you buy at the dealership for about $8.00. After you get the new nipple, unscrew the plastic tubular thing off and screw in the nipple where the hose end is - no need to worry, no fluid will come out.

This picture shows the location of the hose and what the new nipple looks like.

This picture is a closer view - note the need for a 11mm and 12mm wrench to open and close this nipple for a fluid change. The nipple stays permanently on the bike after you put it on - do not (no need) to put the plastic thing back on. When you go to the dealer to buy this nipple you might want to take a picture along as many parts people will give you the standard brake caliper nipple - these are not what you want! If in any doubt, after you buy the new nipple take it back to the service department and get a mechanic to make sure you have the right one.

The last picture is one showing how i protect the paint when I do brake and clutch fluid changes - I use a plastic shower curtain to cover the bike - the bungii is use to secure the handlebars so they won't swing around while the reservoir cap is off the reservoir.

Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

Good tips....good pics....and good thinking.....thanks I appreciate it.

DJ