How to change the rear brake pads (w/ pictures)

This section is a culmination of what the site's users feel are common questions, or topics that seem to repeat a lot. Users are encouraged tp post to this section, but PLEASE DO NOT PUT GENERAL BANTER IN HERE, just factual/informational stuff. Please try and keep this section structured and neat!

Moderator: Moderators

rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Re: How to change the rear brake pads (w/ pictures)

Post by rdsmith3 »

marsdog wrote: How do you guys check wear on the rear?
If you run them all the way down, you hear metal scraping metal, so you don't need a wear indicator. :lol:

Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
marsdog
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by marsdog »

True, and I bet it makes pretty sparks when you stop (or attempt to)!
spenserj87
Lifer

Post by spenserj87 »

I was monitoring the wear holes on my bike, but still got caught out on a 500 mile two-day trip. So metal-to-metal was the giveaway to me. My rotor is scratched, but not severely so and the new brakes work as well as the old ones. They may wear quicker, but I don't think the wear holes are that helpful since to of them still have material in them - but clearly, the pad surface is gone. I went with EBC organic pads.
2007 R1200R
marsdog
Basic User

Post by marsdog »

spenserj87 wrote:I was monitoring the wear holes on my bike, but still got caught out on a 500 mile two-day trip. So metal-to-metal was the giveaway to me. My rotor is scratched, but not severely so and the new brakes work as well as the old ones. They may wear quicker, but I don't think the wear holes are that helpful since to of them still have material in them - but clearly, the pad surface is gone. I went with EBC organic pads.
Have you noticed if you can readily monitor wear on the EBCs?
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I actually use a little mirror with a pivot head. I was told that the pad had to be at LEAST the thickness of the metal plate the pad is connected to to pass inspection. Most people find that one pad wears faster on one side than the other.
Buckster '03R