airbox cover modification

This section is a culmination of what the site's users feel are common questions, or topics that seem to repeat a lot. Users are encouraged tp post to this section, but PLEASE DO NOT PUT GENERAL BANTER IN HERE, just factual/informational stuff. Please try and keep this section structured and neat!

Moderator: Moderators

gel9001
Basic User

airbox cover modification

Post by gel9001 »

Anyone remove the tabs on the back of the air filter cover? I did that last week since its always been such a pain to get it back on by aligning those dam tabs.
Now the cover doesn't sit all the way down and that bothers me. I'm sure air is getting in there when I think it should only be entering through the snorkel.
Have I done any damage? I did it because I read about how convenient it is and yeah it makes putting it back on very easy.
thanks,

Gene
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

gel9001,

You're only supposed to shorten the tabs . . . not remove them! When they are shortened so they both protrude enough into the slots so they are flush with the airbox's exterior surface, you can remove the lid with only a partial tilt . . . without lifting the fueltank.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--