Transmission Oil Change

This section is a culmination of what the site's users feel are common questions, or topics that seem to repeat a lot. Users are encouraged tp post to this section, but PLEASE DO NOT PUT GENERAL BANTER IN HERE, just factual/informational stuff. Please try and keep this section structured and neat!

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Transmission Oil Change

Post by MikeCam »

Ed: As always post corrections, challenges, criticisms...

Good internal link to pics http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11586

Hmmmm! From memory....

on right side midships is the transmission filler and drain plugs. Upper is filler plug (8mm Hex bit socket) and lower is drain (duh!).

Bike on centerstand. Remove filler plug. Remove drain plug. Drain tranny fluid into suitable container. Smell that good smell of clean unburned tranny fluid. Smells burned? Worth checking with dealer/service tech for cause. Carefully tilt bike to insure most fluid drains....might want a helper. Inspect plug head for any residual bright metal bits. BAD. Small non-shiney,crud residue -OK.
Replace plug. Torque 22-23 foot pounds 30Nm. Wrist tight plus 1/16 turn.

Replace tranny fluid with your choice of natural or synthetic (better regardless of mileage I think) API GL5 in 80W90, 75W140, or Redline HD Shockproof (the good stuff!). Add a measured 0.80 liter (.85 quart) to bottom of filler threads. Replace filler plug. Torque 22-23 fp/30Nm.

HTH

Ahhhhh! Pages 73 and 79 in Maintenance manual.
Last edited by MikeCam on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
def38
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by def38 »

Redline and some other so-called premium brands have been known to foam excessively in this application, not good.

Many autoparts store 75W-140 GL5 synthetics (or brands like Texaco, Shell, Mobil) do better. I ad 10% moly to both transmission and final drive oils for reduced friction, extended seal life and improved shifting.

BTW, I flush both transmission and final drive gear case with ATF while draining the used oil. This helps carry out any debris and solids not caught by the magnetic drain plug.
Dennis....quit worrying about your oil..go ride