Looks like ...no longer a K12R

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

dwayne
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Looks like ...no longer a K12R

Post by dwayne »

I wasn't sure if I'd ride again after destroying my R1150R, but I just can't shake the riding bug. I have cut a K 1200 R from the heard...its still at the dealership with 0 kilometers. It's the sun yellow which I think is the sexist looking colour for this machine. My wife thought the front of it was ugly, but I reminded her that she'll mostly only see the backend of it! LOL!

What can I expect from this machine? I did a lot of bitching about the routine I had to go through of checking the oil on the R bike. What should, and what can I expect on a new K bike in terms of how the motor likes to be broken in... or little rattles that go away, or oddities of this model?

Thanks in advance to all those that can shed some light.

THANKS!
Last edited by dwayne on Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
mad1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 522

Post by mad1150 »

My wife thought the front of it was ugly, but I reminded her that she'll mostly only see the backend of it! LOL!
You wife's jealous because it's always winking at you or flirting!

Others will chime in with it's idiosyncrasies I'm sure

Congrats in advance! I'm sure you will enjoy it, it's a BMW! :D
Mark - Member 522

04 R1150R (Silver)
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I have been told 2 things:

1. The bike will eat rear tires.
2. You must actively work at keeping your license.

Let's make it impossible for you to back out....here

Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
mad1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 522

Post by mad1150 »

Evil! pure Evil! Both you and the bike, Herb :P

Now can I have a K1200R for Christmas too, Puuleeeese????

Man I like that evil street fighter look!
Mark - Member 522

04 R1150R (Silver)
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

1. Remove the hideous yellow fork protectors. No harm from that. The black fork leg looks very good.

2. First ride, plan for 250-500 miles that include all your favorite rides and roads. The duolever front end and the instant on throttle will take a small amount of getting used to. The turn-in, tracking and overall feel of the duolever is just noticeable when compared to the telelever.

3. Front tire 36-38 Rear 38-40. Gives better grip but sacrifices tire life.

4. Oil sight glass/tube is on right side under your leg. Can read on center or side stand, hot or cold, and get a usable reading. You'll figure out the parameters quickly. New engine does not consume oil like a Boxer.

5. Do not baby the transmission. Shift hard and quick. Pre-load the shifter for smoother shifts. There is an amount of clunk in this transmission.

6. Replace the fly screen with a sport screen. You'll be happy.

7. Watch that side stand...this bike is not balanced like the Roadster. There is a front leaning bias. It is easy while getting used to it to push the bike forward when mounting and dismounting which can surprise you as it tips away. Also when leaving it on the side stand, it can slip forward on even the slightest downhill slant. Consider leaving it in gear or park facing slightly upslope.

8. The sound is amazing. Jet engine under tight control, yet seeming to burst loose on the slightest twitch of the wrist--suddenly you are doing the ton.

9. ABS/ESA? I have no experience with that. Simple brakes - soft initial feel, then good steady feel but never a good bite. Many models squeal at medium pressure just before a full stop. There are two potential fixes, neither of which work. a) rubber grommetts on the floating disc studs; b) 5mm rotor replacing 4.5mm rotor. Many try aftermarket pads and many also report that good hard braking from speed will make the squeal go away for awhile. Go figure.

10. Have too much fun! Congrats.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

sjbmw wrote:I have been told 2 things:

1. The bike will eat rear tires.
2. You must actively work at keeping your license.

Let's make it impossible for you to back out....here

Now, how can anyone not call that sexy!!!
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

Have a stock pile of rubber waiting. I went through three sets in 5K miles!

Enjoy!
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

rivi7777 wrote:Have a stock pile of rubber waiting. I went through three sets in 5K miles!

Enjoy!
Why does this bike go through tires like that? Is it based on how it is ridden or just the nature of the bike? Is this true across the board or with only some bikes.

So Dwayne -............. did you get the bike? Photos? Comments?

I really want one of these too. I'd like to have an all black one, but since they don't come stock like that - I'd get the yellow and change the fork covers like MikeCam said, and then when there was excess money lying around, I'd grab it up and get the rest of the yellow parts painted/changed to black. Have you ever seen this bike in all black? It's scary looking.

Let us know when you get the bike.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Hey GypsyRR..My guess on the tire thing is its how they're ridden..and how much you twist the wrist.. :D

Also Re the all black one..

My dealer will do an all black one by swapping the Silver and Black bikes so that all the black bits are on the one bike and all the silver on the other...

Would you like to see a pic?..I'm sure your dealer would do it also if you gave him a big smile..and told him that they do it in Oz..(swap the bits from two bikes).

DJ
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

DJ Downunder wrote:Hey GypsyRR..My guess on the tire thing is its how they're ridden..and how much you twist the wrist.. :D

My dealer will do an all black one by swapping the Silver and Black bikes so that all the black bits are on the one bike and all the silver on the other...

Would you like to see a pic?..I'm sure your dealer would do it also if you gave him a big smile..and told him that they do it in Oz..(swap the bits from two bikes).

DJ
My dealer did the swap thing, but I wasn't ready for a KR then and the bikes both sold. He has a used (1600 miles) '06 right now, but I think it is overpriced. Unfortunately, giving them a big smile doesn't seem to have any effect on their prices or their willingness to change things for me. :cry:

Back to Dwayne's thread though - Dwayne, show us your new bike.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

The 2008 K12R will be available in all black, a green similiar to triumph speed triple, and current silver. Apparently they are now rolling off the production line. I saw some photos at my local dealers on the weekend - The all black DID look good, but personally I still prefer the look of my yellow. It looks just as angry as the black, but I think it defines the unusual/aggressive lines of the bike a little better. Anyhow, the yellow has a black engine, so it's a simple job to paint the relevant parts if the all black look should grow on me in the future. The green looked OK, but seems to be trying too hard.

Damo
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

GypsyRR wrote:
DJ Downunder wrote:Hey GypsyRR..My guess on the tire thing is its how they're ridden..and how much you twist the wrist.. :D

DJ
My dealer did the swap thing, but I wasn't ready for a KR then and the bikes both sold. He has a used (1600 miles) '06 right now, but I think it is overpriced. Unfortunately, giving them a big smile doesn't seem to have any effect on their prices or their willingness to change things for me. :cry:

Back to Dwayne's thread though - Dwayne, show us your new bike.
Hey, I'm going to wait until October when the new brochure comes out for the '08s. If there is no real significant change, and the dealership is willing to work numbers to my favour, then I'll go with the '06 otherwise I'll hold out for February to order an '08. I will post pics AS SOON AS I HAVE THE BIKE. No worries there! Are you kidding; I dream in Yellow and Black!
I test rode a K12R on Saturday, wow, what a ride! The thing is so smooth and the power!! I had it for about 2 plus hours driving everywhere and on the freeway. The bike fits me better then the R1150R did, which I think is due inpart to the narrow seat on the k12R cause if I'm not mistaken they are both offered in 790mm seat height, and I'm only 1.79m tall. I guess that's 5'7" ?? I hate not having a bike, really wish I wasn't such a dumb-ass with the other one. I really miss the R1150R.
I've also been looking at the F800ST which is another bike that fits really well, but getting a demo on those is hard... the dealership can't keep them in stock long enough...selling like hot cakes up here.

...and now I'm looking at the R12RT. Though I never sat on one, and never riddin one, I've no idea how they handle.

Talk to you later, I'm in Sault Ste. Marie at the moment, going on the Algoma train tomorrow which ought to be fun. I was suppose to ride my bike here, but :(
crousos
Lifer

tire life

Post by crousos »

my road pilots lasted for almost 5000 miles, I just replaced them with a set of Conti road attack last week.

Tinos
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

1.79m is 70.47 inches = about 5ft 10 and a half inches
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
Ian
Basic User

Post by Ian »

sjbmw wrote:Image
:^o - i hate this bike
Ian

dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

Ian wrote:
:^o - i hate this bike

:lol: Ya, it grows on ya. 8)
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

The all-black '08 (and less so, the new green) is growing on me ...

See: http://www.bmw-motorrad-bilder.de/index.php?cat=9
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

NO LONGER closing on this bike. It's a beauty but the K 1200 S seduced me.