K1200R as a touring machine

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

dwayne
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

K1200R as a touring machine

Post by dwayne »

I know this bike is EXCELLENT for short hops, but what about setting it up for long distance ride...say a 5000 Km round trip? I know I can get panneirs for it, and I plan on putting on the sport windshield. What else should I consider? Keep in mind I don't have the bike yet. I won't put money on one 'till March.

Also, what about scheduled maintenance on the bike: what would be an average cost for a service visit?
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

but what about setting it up for long distance ride...say a 5000 Km round trip?
You may want to invest in an airhawk for that size trip.. :D

DJ
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

Like DJ, I harbour barely-concealed lust for for a K12R.

I'm not keen on the KR Sport colours or half fairing, but a black-as-possible KR could well be my next bike if the weather / wind protection is better than the RR. I love the KS more, but they still hold their money too well in the UK for me in the foreseeable.

Does the 'touring' screen work? Is the reach to the bars similar to the Rockster etc?
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

I had a K1200S before my R12R and while comfort was no problem the bags are on the small side for extended touring (even expanded).

And although the KR can carry 213kgs payload (rider, passenger + luggage) which is much better than the 202kgs my KS managed it is still not near the capacity of the touring bikes: R12ST = 231kgs, R12RT = 236kgs, and even my R12R manages 227kgs!

People toured on Vespas in the 60s so I am a firm believer that you can tour on any bike. But some are better suited than others. I would rate the KR as at the lower end of mediocre. I am not even sure if you can buy a touring screen for the KR which is a huge plus when considering bikes and something I will invest in for my RR if I go touring again.
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
GTR350cc
Basic User

Post by GTR350cc »

Stock bike. 6000 miles; 14 days; plenty of luggage; one rider (mid-lifer). No problems. The seat and bars are comfortable for back to back 500 mile days. It is really only limited by the rider's ability to withstand fatigue and fit the ergo's.

Two up, however, I'd say not likely.
I don't mind paying for mistakes. Can I get a discount?