cost of ownership

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

tkm
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

cost of ownership

Post by tkm »

Hi all. I currently own an 04 1150R but am considering getting a four cylinder. I realize the K bikes have lots more power but was wondering how much they cost to run. I average about 20.000 miles a year and do much of my own maintenance . I'd like to know how the the two bikes compare as far as fuel mileage, tire wear, insurance, etc.......... . Any and all information will be greatly appreciated...........tkm
Peter
BMWPA
Lifer

Re: cost of ownership

Post by BMWPA »

Maybe a bigger bike would attract more 'chicks' but I don't think the second post addresses the key issue of cost of ownership unless they were 'rich chicks'
;)
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Fuel mileage is close to the same as long as the operating profile remains close. The extra performance can lead you into extra costs for tires and gas if you ride it more aggressively - say a 1/4 to 1/3 increase in replacement costs. Brakes, suspension, electrics, fluids, and filters about the same.

Insurance depends more on you, where you live, and who your company is. Mine insures the same as the R1150R.

PS

I killed the cobra8 post.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
tkm
Basic User

Post by tkm »

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up getting a blue k1200gt, an awesome bike,best I've ever had................Peter
Peter
bruno71
Basic User
Donating Member #: 495

Post by bruno71 »

Peter,
I sold my R1150R and purchased a CGM K1200GT about four or five months ago. So far, I think it was a great decision. The new bike increased my touring capability several times over and the power is incredible. Even better, my insurance went down about $50 every six months as well (State Farm). That is kinda funny considering I traded up from an 85 hp bike to a 152 hp rocket. Enjoy your new ride!

-Bruno
"Enough said------maybe too much?"

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
tkm
Basic User

Post by tkm »

Hi Bruno thanks for the advice. I ended up pulling the trigger on a 1200GT three weeks ago and you are absolutely right about the bike. As good as the roadster was the GT is fantastic, smooth, powerful, and stable. It is in a class by itself.
Peter
Tlaloc
Basic User

Post by Tlaloc »

This is why I love this forum. I had this same question... and I find someone who's been through the same thing. I'm thinking very seriously about trading my 02 R1150R for an 03 K1200GT.
bruno71
Basic User
Donating Member #: 495

Post by bruno71 »

Tlaloc,
Take a look at K-bikes.com and you should be able to find a significant amount of info on the bike. The older KGT/KRS has a somewhat poorer reputation for handling/power to weight, etc. However, some folks swear by them. Most agree that it was a great engine, just not a great overall package. But, different strokes for different folks. I don't give bike recommendations (anymore) unless I expect to pay for it and/or ride it. Final drive failure seems to be a constant no matter what BMW bike you purchase. The R1150 is clearly a great bike for a certain mindset. If you have not arrived at that mindset or you are past it, it is definitely time to move on to something different. My next bike will be for the riding I actually have the opportunity to do, not the kind I imagine myself doing. Then, of course, it would be nice to have a stable full of 'em. Best of luck with your new bike.

-Bruno
"Enough said------maybe too much?"

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit