The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

wilrobasy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1200GS or K1200R ?

Post by wilrobasy »

Alright guys, I have been smitten.
But as is usually the case I cannot focus all my attention onto one bella worthy of my praise and adoration. That’s probably why I have an Italian and a British car and a Japanese bike. Anyway to the point.

I may in the position shortly to upgrade the ’05 model VFR800. Why you ask, well the K12R and the R1200GS are just two dammed sexy bikes that are hard to ignore.
But alas which do I choose?

I am sure there are others out there that have faced similar dilemmas.
Please I would be interested to know what factors influenced your decisions.

I ride to the office every day on a short commute that the viffer handles well however it’s when I get out on the road it’s not bad, but a BMW would be ohh so much better for the long 400 - 600 km’s rides that I do some weekends.

How are the K12R’s for long hauls?
I take it as a given that the R1200GS is a great long distance tourer. But can it handle itself with some fun in the tight twisty stuff or will I be disappointed?

The VFR goes to pieces when I am two up, even though the fairer half of the equation is only a light 50kgs. How is the K12R two up?

Once again I assume that the R12G would handle it with ease after seeing what Ewan and Charlie loaded up their 1150GS’s with.

Any traits, that are commonly referred to in Alfa and Jag circles as items that give the cars character, that I should watch out for if I decide to go with a used example of either of these?

Thanks guys for putting up with my ramblings but your comments and thoughts would be much appreciated.
If you can still hear the misses complain then you are not going fast enough.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Hi there wilrobasy...welcome...where in Oz are you...I'm in Melbourne.

Your question about these two bike is one that only you can answer...ride them both...and decide what type of riding you do most.

If you are torn between the GS and the KR why not consider the RR....it's sort of inbetween....and does it all well...IMHO

DJ
yukon42
Basic User

Post by yukon42 »

If you do any off pavement riding then you should heavily consider the GS.
06 K1200R "Super B"
07 R1200RT
74 "MachIII" clutch lever
70 Kaw "Green Streak" shift lever
rivi7777
Basic User

GS

Post by rivi7777 »

I sold my KR to buy the GS. For me, the GS is the better bike.
BMRBIKR
Basic User

Post by BMRBIKR »

........Yo Rich......I wouldn't even have asked to ride THAT ....KR

.......but I can't wait to see you on your new GS..........

........Hope to bump into you soon.....! 8)
...Once you get over the hill, you begin to pick up speed...

________

'02 Black RT
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

I have taken a few 300 mile trips on my K-R and I find it about as comfortable as my 1150.. which is to say good enough for me.

DJ is right... find a dealer who will let you take a cruise on both. The K-R is wicked fast and handles really well, but I have to admit that it is not the bike for daily heavy traffic. If your commute is mostly open road you would love it.

2-up on the K-R is not bad, but the pillion rider is more exposed to the wind/elements even than the rider. If you do a lot of 2-up I would opt for another bike.

If you do any riding that is not strictly on pavement then obviously you do not want the K-R.

I love mine.. and no tickets yet (miracle)

COH (Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Reasons to go for the GS: Any dirt. Much better 2 Up. Macho character.

Reasons to go for the KR: If you're inseam is wanting, like me. If you want smooth, right now! acceleration. Badass character.

500 Km is no problem on either. If you want to go round the world, then the GS. 'Course if you want to start in Oz you'll need some pontoons or something.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
gramma
Basic User

Post by gramma »

feels wierd to use my wife's username to chime in on this subject. i have an r1200gs and other than i'd kill to have electronic cruise control, i wouldn't trade it for anything. i'm 6'7", and other than ceebailey's biggest windshield it's stock. i have put over 4500 miles on it in 5 months of midwest winter since i bought it in november. just came back from arkansas and did alot of riding on the mountain twisties. this thing handles like a sportbike. probably would be better if i wasn't so tall and didn't have a load of stuff packed on the bike. all day long riding back roads, chicago expressway traffic, this bike does it all. i really like it in traffic cuz it sits so tall i can see over the cars. haven't had it off road yet. not alot of places in illinois to do that. if you get one, you gotta have the vario side cases. ALL bikes should have these. good luck.
Luv my blue roadster!!
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Boxer Engine Quirky

Post by MikeCam »

Boxer engines (GS) are known to be quirky.

KR engine is a Japanese clone. Very good rendition, mind.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.