Does This Madness Never End? K1200R Mods

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Does This Madness Never End? K1200R Mods

Post by MikeCam »

Selling off the spares, parts, and accessories from my R115RA Yellow Jacket got me to thinking about how easily stuff accumulates around motorcycle owners and our propensity to upgrade, modify, and add-on various bits and pieces of glitz, bling, and farkle.

Here is a short chronology of my experience so far with the K1200R.

July 30, 2005 Took delivery of a stock, yellow/black, K1200R from the delivery dock at Morton's. Added BMW bags/liners, battery charger, and Maintenance CD. Bought a used Pit Bull rear stand.

August 1st week - changed oil at 450 miles. Removed hideous, yellow fork protectors. Left forks bare, black.

2nd week - painted rear seat cover panels flat black to cover over bright yellow.

3rd week - 600 mile service (included in sale) at 900 miles.

4th week - Installed a GS luggage rack and 35 liter Top Case. No mods required. (On-hand from prior ownership.)

September - Road tested the cases and top box on a short weekend camping trip. Ordered BMW tank and battery panels in Dark Graphite to replace yellow ones. Ordered M1's for spring/summer usage.

October - Replaced fly screen with R1100/1150 Roadster Speedster screen. No mods required. (On-hand from R1150RA.)

November - Painted silver footpegs and passenger frame brackets semi-gloss black to match rear seat cover panels and in anticipation of tank panels.

December - Installed used Throttlemiester.

January 2006 - Installed recently arrived tank and battery panels. Posted 'Beastly Black' pics to board.

February - Ordered Pilot Roads for Boise trip.

March - Changed oil at 3500 miles. Sold last of the Airhead/Oilhead collection. Installed BRAKE! LED and Lite Blazer LED running lights and flashing brake lights.

April - Installed K1200RS ('02) mirrors in place of stock. Mid-major mod of KRS stems required. Achieved semi-integrated look with new, vastly better looking (and somewhat improved vision rearward) mirrors. Completed 4000 miles and conducted spring services per manual in anticipation of 6K services at Morton's in May/June.

And somewhere along the line there are the RKA tank bag, no-name rear seat bag and ROK straps to remember.

Whew! And here is the list of things I am considering to add or change...

Center stand, horn, air filter(s), bigger windscreen, re-paint left-over yellow tank/battery panels another shade of black or striped yellow/black.......

Does it ever end?
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
gelbe Kulter
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gelbe Kulter »

Mike, no full Remus titanium exhaust? Lose thirty pounds and gain 18 hp - manufacturer's claim. I'll attest to the sporty bark it produces. 8)
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

Apparently not...

My list to do...

Wunderlich speed screen.
" oil cooler guard
" tank protector

BMW centerstand.

yep.. cheaper runing costs... dearer accessories.. :D

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

No Can Man

Post by MikeCam »

I'm not a can man.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Time for another pic... :D

DJ
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Pic Link

Post by MikeCam »

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

R1200ST Bags on a K1200R

Post by MikeCam »

Was browsing Max BMW site today and saw the listing to fit R1200ST bags (bigguns) on the K1200R. Same mounts? Anybody have knowledge? Dean?
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Geez Mike,

I have not done a thing to mine except the oil changes and a new rear tire.. and I had to pay for my 600 service... hmmmmmm. Oh, I did add some Moto Lights. That's all though, I swear :)

Incidentally, I only got 3500 miles on that stock rear Dunlop.

That Remus can is looking tempting though.

COH (Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

Cup,

Got a pick of the motolights?

After the R12ST, lights something I need... :)
been looking around for options

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
AL
Basic User

Post by AL »

I like the looks of the new mirrors on your bike, but was wondering if you think the stock mirrors could be mod. to fit a r1150r.I looked the k1200r mirrors at the dealer and think they would look good on my roadster but can't figure out what it would take to adapt them. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Was browsing Max BMW site today and saw the listing to fit R1200ST bags (bigguns) on the K1200R. Same mounts? Anybody have knowledge? Dean?
Mike, I have no knowledge of the RT/ST bags fitting on the new K bikes.
Dean-O
Member #33
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

THx Dean

Post by MikeCam »

Dean, Thanks. Looks like maybe a mispost at Max's site.

Al,

The R1150R mirrors fit into the handlebar grip fitting through a pre-drilled hole and fasten with an 8mm hex nut that is purpose built for it. Tensioning occurs due to some cast cut-outs that engage within the fitting to prevent turning of the stem. That stem is 12mm diameter with an 8mm thread at the tip.

The K1200R mirrors are fastened using a compression fitting onto a 10mm threaded base which is clamped to the handlebars. The compression part is also 10mm as are the mirror stems.

So --- if you were to thicken the 10mm KR stems and provide for the anti-turning feature somehow AND cut some threads into the bottom AND AND find a nut that would fit into the 12mm hole while engaging the 10mm threads, then it could work. Simple?

I suppose you could insert the mirrors until the thicker (semi-tapered) part of the stem enters the RR hole and expecting that the bottom of the stem would protrude, attach an exterior nut. Tightening that would probably tension the stem enough to prevent turning. There might be enough room there what with cables and hoses routed around. Or you could fashion interior threads and use a Navy screw. Maybe.

If you want to try it, I'd send along my excess KR mirrors, but would want some cash up front and you'd have to assume the risk of damage, no fit, etc.

Still, it's an interesting thought.

M
AL
Basic User

Post by AL »

Thanks for the reply Mike but I think I'll have to go to the same mirrors you used. The info you gave was very informative. Thanks again, Al
CupOHemlock
Basic User

No pic yet, but..

Post by CupOHemlock »

Bry wrote:Cup,

Got a pick of the motolights?

After the R12ST, lights something I need... :)
been looking around for options

Bry
I don't, but I can snap one this weekend. They look pretty good in flat black against my graphite decor. I have not been able to find a place to host pics though. I will see what I can do since I have lots of stuff I want to post.

COH (Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494