The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Am I the first on here to crash a K?

Post by riceburner »

:(:(

Paused on a rural main road last thursday on the way home from work (first day back on a bike after the Rockster/LandRover interface, and riding the wife's K-R), in order to clear some wood debris from a fallen branch. I was pulling right into a driveway when suddenly I find myself sitting on the road in a dazed state.

Some idiot drove up behind me and completely didn't see me until the last minute so smacked into me at around 40mph.

Still not sure what state the K is in, it's being delivered to our dealer for assessment tomorrow.

Insurance company (wife's insurance) reckon it's completely a non-fault situation, but we have yet to discuss it with the police who attended (I wasn't really able to give much input at the time).

I was beaten up a fair bit - I think I was thrown off the bike, my left calf hit something (footpeg?) and my head and left shoulder were most likely what hit the road first. They're certainly the bits that hurt. No other injuries luckily. My leg and shoulder still ache, but it's just bruising (unless there's hidden damage, but they took x-rays and the radiographer seemed pretty sure they were clear).

No idea who hit me or what state his cars in, I've lost about half an hour of time due to the concussion. A friend actualy drove past and said there were two women tending to me as I was sitting there. I have absolutely no memory of them at all. :( (my friend couldn't stop to help as there was no room for her to park safely, and the police were already in attendance at the scene, in the UK the cops are pretty tight on keeping scenes clear of rubberneckers).

I just hope the beast isn't a write off. :(:(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Whoa! sonofabuildingblock!

I am relieved you are OK, that is the important part. Machines can be replaced.

Please get checked out for a concussion, memory lapse is a sign of that.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sjbmw wrote:Whoa! sonofabuildingblock!

I am relieved you are OK, that is the important part. Machines can be replaced.

Please get checked out for a concussion, memory lapse is a sign of that.
oh - they confirmed I was concussed.

not sure what help that is though....
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
toner87

Post by toner87 »

Ricer,
I'd say you were due a long stretch of accident free riding... Stay safe and healthy!
T.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Thursday You say?

Post by MikeCam »

If it was Thursday, April 20, GMT then I'd say you were the first.

Mine was Friday, April 21, 1300 EST.

Truck pulled out of blind driveway, turned toward me, partly in my lane, proceeeded forward then turned back across my path into 2nd driveway- 20 feet in front of me.

On the non-ABS brakes and hit a white painted (and wet) line, lost the front. Remained standing but bike bounced on left then right side- possibly beyond repair. Distance from start to finish about 40 feet.

Driver and vehicle disappeared into the sales lot of the Auto dealership where this all occurred. 6 persons on the spot "saw nothing".

Wasn't going to post, but you deserved an anwser.

I feel that I should have been able to keep the bike upright and undamaged, but as my lawyer has stated: I avoided impacting the offending vehicle, I remained on the road, in my lane, as opposed to a ditch or an oncoming vehicle, I remained standing, and my only failure was to keep the bike upright. I am a hero! (Gotta love lawyers.)

Hope you remain well and can be made whole on your damages.

Best to ya!
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Thursday You say?

Post by riceburner »

MikeCam wrote:If it was Thursday, April 20, GMT then I'd say you were the first.

Mine was Friday, April 21, 1300 EST.

Truck pulled out of blind driveway, turned toward me, partly in my lane, proceeeded forward then turned back across my path into 2nd driveway- 20 feet in front of me.

On the non-ABS brakes and hit a white painted (and wet) line, lost the front. Remained standing but bike bounced on left then right side- possibly beyond repair. Distance from start to finish about 40 feet.

Driver and vehicle disappeared into the sales lot of the Auto dealership where this all occurred. 6 persons on the spot "saw nothing".

Wasn't going to post, but you deserved an anwser.

I feel that I should have been able to keep the bike upright and undamaged, but as my lawyer has stated: I avoided impacting the offending vehicle, I remained on the road, in my lane, as opposed to a ditch or an oncoming vehicle, I remained standing, and my only failure was to keep the bike upright. I am a hero! (Gotta love lawyers.)

Hope you remain well and can be made whole on your damages.

Best to ya!
Ouch!

Sorry to hear it Mike, that CAN'T have been nice to watch! :(:(:(

I hope you were comprehensively insured!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

What a bugger guys...glad you're both ok.

DJ
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Okay

Post by MikeCam »

Riceburner,

Sounds that you have it worse than I and my hopes for a smooth recovery (head and health as well as vehicle) are with you.

I am fine. Insured and lawyered up!

Seems the duolever took a force -- my service tech was only able to say he'd make certain whether it did or did not damage alignment, frame, etc. He never worked a duolever job yet. Cosmetically: mirrors, windscreen, GPS, throttlemeister bar ends, system cases were damaged/destroyed or merely scratched (GPS still works - recorded date, time, location, speed of accident!) some very minor road rash on the plastics. The frame sliders did their job.

Mike

DJ, Many thanks mate.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Hey man, glad you are ok!
Member #1
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Riceburner,

Don't give up! I agree you are long overdue for some luck of the good kind. Keep us posted. Heal quickly!

MikeCam,

Now I know what "unplanned services to the duolever" means. Glad you are ok. Hope to see that Black Beast back at 100% soon.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Holy crap! Stupid cagers!!! Sorry to hear of both your mishaps. I'm thankful that you guys survived in reasonably decent shape, all things considered. I hope everything falls your way guys with healing, insurance/lawsuit, etc. I'm assuming both of you guys found out who the perps were?

I've been commuting in the D.C. area all week and I can't say I'm relishing the idea of commuting on two-wheels once I finish moving up here in August. The aggressiveness of drivers in Northern VA is amazing. There are wrecks every morning on the highways and traffic clogs as a result every morning. Traffic wouldn't be half as bad if drivers around here drove more orderly and in a manner which acknowledges that they live in a community.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I am glad to hear that both of you are in relatively good shape.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Relieved that you guys are OK. Riceburner, nothing to be done for concussions other than time. My oldest had 3 serious ones and had to quit football because of it. I know more about concussions than I ever wanted! :?

When your head doesn't hurt to run or quits "slooshing" your brain, you are on the way to recovery. Probably won't ever remember the lost time however.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

kudos man glad your ok
ride it like you stole it
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Glad you both are in one piece!

Mike, did you get an idea for when you will be mission capable with the R?

CoH(Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494