Close call ABS diaries!

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Silverr
Basic User

Close call ABS diaries!

Post by Silverr »

Just thought I would share my abs adventure today. I was approaching a four way intersection and had the green light. As I approached, there were cars at all four corners and in the turn lanes. We all know to expect the unexpected and I did notice an older woman in her little honda appearing as if she wanted to turn left in front of me. We, that is exactly what she did. It was one of those situations, where the timing is soo bad and everything happens so fast that you have no time to do anything but grab the brake hard and hope for the best. In the back of my mind I thought, there is no way I am gonna be able to stop in time.
The abs kicked in and she chirped ever so sweetly a few times and I came to rest about 2 feet from her passenger side front bumper. She had also pulled to a stop at the last second as she stared at me in stunned silence. Anyway, just something we deal with but wanted to say, the abs really saved the day. Because of the timing of it all, I don't see how I could have avoided a skid without the abs. I was blown away at how quick the bike pulled to a stop, straight line and all. I will say this is the first time I have really felt like the abs paid for itself and for that It was worth it!

Just sharing as a reminder for us to not get comfortable. Expect the unexpected! Also, a great way to clean off my brake pads..she doesnt sqeek now :wink:
Last edited by Silverr on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

Phew...glad you didn't go down...thanks for the report.

DJ
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Glad nothing came of that potential accident. I wonder about the time a near accident happens like that, and the driver ends up stopping RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! How many accidents could have been avoided if the offending vehicle kept moving?
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
MoraleHazard
Basic User

Post by MoraleHazard »

Whoo Hooo!!!! Silver. I'm glad you stopped in time.

I just bought my rockster on Saturday and on the ride home I was shocked at how quick the bike stopped (compared to my old 1991 EX500).
I wonder about the time a near accident happens like that, and the driver ends up stopping RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! How many accidents could have been avoided if the offending vehicle kept moving?
All people seriously need refresher training from time-to-time behind the wheel. Since I started riding earlier this year it amazes me how incredibly bad many drivers are. (I could've lumped myself in that category from time-to-time.). People should have to go through 1 day training courses every 5-10 yrs.
Silverr
Basic User

Post by Silverr »

MoraleHazard wrote:Whoo Hooo!!!! Silver. I'm glad you stopped in time.

I just bought my rockster on Saturday and on the ride home I was shocked at how quick the bike stopped (compared to my old 1991 EX500).
I wonder about the time a near accident happens like that, and the driver ends up stopping RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! How many accidents could have been avoided if the offending vehicle kept moving?
All people seriously need refresher training from time-to-time behind the wheel. Since I started riding earlier this year it amazes me how incredibly bad many drivers are. (I could've lumped myself in that category from time-to-time.). People should have to go through 1 day training courses every 5-10 yrs.
Congrats on your new Rockster. I had an 1150r before getting the K12R and I agree... Brakes were very effectice on that bike. Did you go ABS or standard?
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

Glad you are OK.
Another reason I'm glad I have a BMW (2 actually) with ABS. Time and time again I read about anti-ABS brake folks who claim they can stop quicker without ABS but they never enter in the kinds of things you mentioned in you post, i.e., things happen so quickly, you don't expect grannie to just stop in the fricking lane, etc. But those are the things that happen in real life conditions and when you grab brake with all your might, you want your brakes to bring you to as clean-- and upright-- a stop as is possible. ABS does that, IMHO.
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

munchmeister wrote:Glad you are OK.
Another reason I'm glad I have a BMW (2 actually) with ABS. Time and time again I read about anti-ABS brake folks who claim they can stop quicker without ABS but they never enter in the kinds of things you mentioned in you post, i.e., things happen so quickly, you don't expect grannie to just stop in the fricking lane, etc. But those are the things that happen in real life conditions and when you grab brake with all your might, you want your brakes to bring you to as clean-- and upright-- a stop as is possible. ABS does that, IMHO.
I occasionally see accounts, (Usually magazine types riding their sport bikes too fast) where they hammered the brakes and stopped an inch from grandma's bumper. On dry pavement in a straight line with the front brake only you'd stop pretty fast. But perhaps not as short. Where I live, it rains a lot in the winter. I think to be fair to the non-ABS guys, we have to let them try the panic stop in a section of rutted freeway filled with water and a little floating oil. My belief is that ABS could make the difference between stopping short and impacting the swine who pulled out in front of you.

My question to Silverr is this; were you able to stay off the tank and...ah, not damage anything ? On my little panic stops for the odd fool, I've had to fight to stay away from the tank, and I've never seriously tripped the ABS.
Silverr
Basic User

Post by Silverr »

My question to Silverr is this; were you able to stay off the tank and...ah, not damage anything ? On my little panic stops for the odd fool, I've had to fight to stay away from the tank, and I've never seriously tripped the ABS.[/quote]

Airman, I was able to stay off the tank for the most part...No damage to speak of...The bike really did its job. The abs gave me 2 or 3 chirps, that i could hear!
lost boy
Basic User

Post by lost boy »

New here, and I didn't do a search yada yada...

But offhand, what is the 60 to zero stopping distance?

Dave
Waiting on the K1200R Sport.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

munchmeister wrote:Glad you are OK.
I guess I could be counted as one of those people - and recently (well - September I think it was) I had an incident where I was VERY glad not to have ABS.

short story is that a cyclist cut across a lane of traffic about 6 feet in front of me as I was travelling at about 15/20 mph without paying any attention what-so-ever. (the situation was blatantly desirous of caution - which was not displayed).

I grabbed the proverbial handful and thankfully the bike stopped dead. As in the front stopped, the rest rotated around the front, something that ABS would NOT have allowed. I missed him by what felt like 1/8th of an inch.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
HILLBILLIEBIKER
Basic User

Post by HILLBILLIEBIKER »

I wish I had the new ABS on my '02 R1150R. Being glad you bike back end came around as you came to a stop is a far cry from the thrill of your back end coming aroud at 30 and having to release the brakes to try to control the bike. That kind of fun can kill us. Almost killed me twice. Enjoy....... :shock:
What could be better than going on 60 yo on a BMW R1150R going on 60 mph? OK lets not get into that
HILLBILLIEBIKER
Basic User

Post by HILLBILLIEBIKER »

I wish I had the new ABS on my '02 R1150R. Being glad you bike back end came around as you came to a stop is a far cry from the thrill of your back end coming aroud at 30 and having to release the brakes to try to control the bike. That kind of fun can kill us. Almost killed me twice. Enjoy.......
What could be better than going on 60 yo on a BMW R1150R going on 60 mph? OK lets not get into that
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

HILLBILLIEBIKER wrote:I wish I had the new ABS on my '02 R1150R. Being glad you bike back end came around as you came to a stop is a far cry from the thrill of your back end coming aroud at 30 and having to release the brakes to try to control the bike. That kind of fun can kill us. Almost killed me twice. Enjoy....... :shock:
the back end didn't come round - it went UP!

;)

(something I'm used to, it should be admitted.)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

Are there any hard numbers to compare ABS with non-ABS stopping on any motorcycle.
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Awhile back I think it was TWO magazine from England did a comparison.

Seems to me I recall a BMW boxer ABS (may have been an RR), a KTM 950 of some sort with ABS, a Yamaha (FJR?) with ABS, a Honda of some sort with ABS and a Triumph with standard brakes.

In dry, I'm thinking it was 70mph to zero, the Triumph had shortest distance at about 50 meters. The BMW was at about 6 ft. longer IIRC, the others following until the KTM sucked up the rear at 70 meters.

A KTM rider I know pointed out that you can set the KTM brakes for dirt orientation, and lets just hope that was the case.

They published the speed/distance graphs. It was interesting how you could see the ABS systems lock & release, especially the KTM, its graph was a roller coaster. The BMW showed almost a perfect smooth curve.

Another reason I like BMWs is that their ABS is getting pretty darned refined.

I've been kicking around a Ducati monster forum, & one thing I notice is there seems to be the typical "I had to brake hard & my front end washed out & down I went" post (or even "I just applied the front brake & I was down, not sure why"). More often than I seem to see here. I will say the Ducati I test rode had fantastic brakes.

If you want to have fun with your ABS, hammer your brakes over a nice big wet lane arrow. You can definately feel the release there.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

socalrob wrote: I've been kicking around a Ducati monster forum, & one thing I notice is there seems to be the typical "I had to brake hard & my front end washed out & down I went" post (or even "I just applied the front brake & I was down, not sure why"). More often than I seem to see here. I will say the Ducati I test rode had fantastic brakes.
I'd "guess" that's due to the riders putting a steering input to the bike without meaning to (eg by stiffening their arms, a natural reaction in emergency circumstances).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life