Happy?

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Acpantera
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Happy?

Post by Acpantera »

Please give a true feeling about your beast, I am on the verge of making a new bike purchase and I could strike a great deal on a kr. How many have had any troubles that would discourage you if your dealer was 75 miles away like mine is?(and the dealer where the beast is over 200 miles away)
ASK WHY
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Only downside for me is the seat. It's not an issue for everyone. No quality issues to speak of. I bought mine w/ a discount of $2000. I wouldn't buy a BMW w/o a discount, the resale is too bad. Was looking at getting another Hayabusa, but couldn't pass on the KR w/ that discount. I got a decent trade on my Rockster. I may transform my KR into a KRSport if they come out with a kit...

Also check out these sites...http://68.178.194.211/cmps_index.php
and
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Silverr
Basic User

Post by Silverr »

I went from an r1150r to the K12. I have been nothing but happy with the upgrade. Smooth, super quick, great suspension, great sound and very unique looking bike, which I like with all the cookie cutter bikes out there. Gets plenty of looks to. The gear box is a bit clunky from 1st to 2nd gear and the brakes talk a bit from time to time.
Almost 6k on the clock and it has run flawlessly. I would highly recommend one to anyone who is in the market for a naked bike. In that category, there is no better option in my opinion
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Exactly same as what Silverr said.

Damo
Racegun
Basic User

Post by Racegun »

as far as an I4 goes.... how could you go wrong...specially w/ a 2007 ( non-servo brakes) & the 7.xx s/w upgrade
dpalavage
Basic User

Post by dpalavage »

Hey, Like some of you guys, I'm being "courted" w/ the idea of trading in my rockster for the K12R. It's been miserable cold here...no one's riding and I haven't demo'd the new bike yet. What should I expect? Is the K12 going to pull my arms out of the sockets? How is the ride different than our Rocksters? I've always been a "dirt bike" rider in my youth. Never ridden a "sports" bike. My transition has been from a Dakar, to the Rockster, to ?K12R? My dealer says he'll make a deal I can't refuse on the '06 on the showroom floor. It sounds like a lot of you felt you got a good deal on your trade-ins...thanks.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

dpalavage wrote:Hey, Like some of you guys, I'm being "courted" w/ the idea of trading in my rockster for the K12R. It's been miserable cold here...no one's riding and I haven't demo'd the new bike yet. What should I expect? Is the K12 going to pull my arms out of the sockets? How is the ride different than our Rocksters? I've always been a "dirt bike" rider in my youth. Never ridden a "sports" bike. My transition has been from a Dakar, to the Rockster, to ?K12R? My dealer says he'll make a deal I can't refuse on the '06 on the showroom floor. It sounds like a lot of you felt you got a good deal on your trade-ins...thanks.
I have both (well - the wife has the K), and the differences are less than you'd think.

K is faster (obviously) and the power is just mad.
Rockster is better at very low speed (ie throttle response), but K is easier to balance.

Other than that - they're remarkably similar ime.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Post by TonyT607 »

I loved my RR, had it for 4 years, 26k miles, bought a new R1200ST last year, absolutely in love with that bike, and as much as I liked the new KR I still went for the ST.....BUT.....I am dying to ride a new K1200R Sport when it comes out....I may grab one of those as wel.....
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
jdernehl
Basic User

Post by jdernehl »

Got my KR this summer from a dealer 120 miles away in Anchorage. Fantastic purchase. From that point on I never drove my car when going to the city. Only thing that I regret is buying it so late in the summer.
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

Happy? No! Never wanted a bike so bad as this one only to be so disappointed. Happy to have sold it 4 months and 5K miles later before the bottom dropped out on the used ones and the sharp dealer discounts on the new ones...
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Rivi,

What are you riding now? After reading your posts on the KR & after several KS demos & lots of soul searching, I decided to stick with twins for the time being.

The R1200R sport does look great, and in fact there is a new blue/yellow paint scheme on the K1200S that is very, very nice looking.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Racegun
Basic User

Post by Racegun »

rivi777,
what was so dissapointing about your k12r? Do you think all of the improvements for 2007 would make it a bike you might own?
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

What exactly are all the improvements for 2007?

Damo
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Damo wrote:What exactly are all the improvements for 2007?

Damo
2X?!
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Racegun
Basic User

Post by Racegun »

Damo wrote:What exactly are all the improvements for 2007?

Damo
Better shifting xmission, FI mapping & Conti Tevis NON-SERVO brakes. The three things that everyone talked about was wrong with it.....AND BMW went and fixed it. All reviews from mags and individuals laud the improvements.
Racegun
Basic User

Post by Racegun »

RIVI7777,
What was wrong with your K12R that you were so dissapointed????
crousos
Lifer

Post by crousos »

no regrets and no disappointment at all. I love the bike.

Tinos
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

What was wrong with your K12R that you were so dissapointed????
I had fun on my KR for the brief amount of time I owned it. For me, it was just the wrong bike. It boils down to how you like to ride and the roads you ride on. The KR is a blast to ride on smooth surfaces, sweeping turns, and nice straights. I enjoy tight twisty mountainous roads with a lot of elevation changes. The KR is not so good at this and proved to be quite a handful - physically & mentally - when pushing my riding ability to the limit. I didn't get that from the giddy test ride where I was all smiles. It came after a few months of living with the bike, 5K miles (and three sets of tires!!!), and having done various types of riding on many different types of roads. If, however, it's the right bike for you, I'm certain you will be most pleased...
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Racegun

As a very content K12R owner, just wondering how those 2007 improvements affect me. I don't have ABS or servo brakes (didn't want them), and I assume the FI mapping update I received at last service is same as for current model. What is better shifting xmission? I haven't read all the reviews from mags and individuals which laud the improvements.

Damo[/quote]
lost boy
Basic User

Post by lost boy »

How expensive is the K-R on an annual basis? I do my own oil/filter changes. The rest will be dealer done (valves/brakes/tires etc). I will probably ride about 5,000 miles a year as I have done for the last 5 years.
My insurance will be about $90/yr higher for the same coverage as I have on my VTX 1800.
Waiting on the K1200R Sport.