Purchased 2004 R1150R yesterday, suggestions neeed

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Purchased 2004 R1150R yesterday, suggestions neeed

Postby Barista » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:07 am

New member here, just want to say thanks to you guys for this board and all the info I've been soaking up here. Yesterday I bought a 2004 R1150R ABS with 5,200 miles. Totally stock condition except for upgraded tail lights. I've been away from cycling for about 15 years but anxious to get back. I'm dying to improve the ergonomics and lowering the foot pegs is my number one priority. I'm 6' and long legged. With my feet on the pegs it feels like I'm squating. Not worried about scraping, I corner like a Grandma. From what I've read on this board, it sounds like the Wunderlich peg lowering kit should be my first upgrade. I'll do most of my own mechanical work and maintanence, but also thinking a trip to the local dealership to get to know them and have them check it over would be a good start. Thoughts?

Other definite priorities after the pegs....windscreen, throttle lock, saddle bags, phone mount OR tank bag with window-pocket on top.

Also considering....Tall seat, bar risers, signal canceling, power outlets.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Purchased 2004 R1150R yesterday, suggestions neeed

Postby kirby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 am

Looks like a winner and a great find. The '04s seem to be a good year, I have one and I know two other riders that have '04s and we all have had very good luck with them.
It being not modified except for a minor light change is defiantly in your favor!
I wouldn't buy one that somebody has modified.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Postby Photoguy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am

Congratulations, and welcome! It's a great bike that will do most things well, imo (I'm on my 3rd variation after a short hiatus).

I'm in the middle of a foot peg lowering thing myself. If you scroll down a bit you can see the thread of where I am at the moment. There's also a tall seat available as you know-they do show up on eBay...and bar risers will open up the riding position some. Sadly they did away with the adjustable seat that was on my r850r as it offered the option of changing heights by changing a few bolts underneath- quick and easy.

Also, fwiw, my bike came with the sport shield which works well without being as big as the touring screen. Your taller so you may want more height depending...

My bike's previous owner also installed a usb power outlet on the bars. So far I haven't used it as I don't have a phone/gps mount but intend to add that at some point after a few other things.

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Postby towerworker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I've an '04 with about 91,000 miles. Love it and a great bike. Let me make a maintenance suggestion. That bike obviously spent a lot of time sitting. Annual ABS system service is a MUST! Involves bleeding the entire system. Not difficult but can be a bit tedious. The iABS system pump (you hear a whining sound when you hit the brakes---that's the system pump running) is very unforgiving of lack of service. And currently that pump is not rebuildable. A new pump is in excess of $2400. I'm not sure what a dealer charges for the service but I'd guess $300.00+ so it's not difficult to learn how to do it yourself. I'm on a lunch break so no time to find and post the service links but I can do it later if someone doesn't in the meantime. But it's well worth the effort to research. The i in iABS stands for 'Integral".

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam)

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Postby Barista » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks Wayne, that sounds like good advise and I'll look forward to seeing that service link for the brakes. When I asked the original owner if he had any maintenance records he said "I did have the brake fluid changed once and got new tires when the originals were about 5 years old". I'm taking it very easy on these 9 year old tires till I can get them changed, (soon).

I didn't notice until after I got it home but the cam that adjusts the front brake lever is completely missing. There's just a hole there, and the brakes seem to grab with just a slight touch. From what I've read, the grabby brake might be a normal characteristic of this bike but I also wonder if this missing adjuster cam is adding to the problem.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska

swamper
Basic User

Postby swamper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 pm

I have a 04 also but without the ABS. Never had any brake grabbing type problems, they might just need to be used a little to get the moisture out of the pads.
2004 R1150R :biggrin:
2016 S1000XR :D
IBA #7147

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Postby towerworker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Here are some links:
http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Br ... %20'04-'07).pdf

Bleed funnel
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... mber=10156 (I followed this procedure--correction on my earlier statement....I think BMW recommends every 2 yrs instead of annually.)

There are several pages out there concerning ABS service, my bike sat unridden for 3 years while I was recovering from an illness. This was from 5/10 to about mid 2013. Shortly after resuming riding I had ABS warning/failure lights. A system bleed did not correct the issue so I ended up removing the system and re-plumbing to standard brakes. And to comment on the "grabbiness" of the brakes......pretty much normal. The iABS system is actually a power assisted system so it takes much less brake pressure on the lever. Another reality.....the brakes are linked. So when you pull the front lever you are applying braking forces to both wheels. You do NOT need to brake as you probably learned i.e; first rear brake followed by front. I did that when I first bought the '04. Within 18,000 miles I went thru two sets of rear pads and a rear rotor. After learning to leave the rear pedal alone my rear pads (and rotor) lasted 50K. Rotor is still good.

(oh....one other thing.....look into an antifreeze change as well) --- tankside radiators......
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam)

Return to “R1150R”