Wanted to say hi and ask for advice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

shahrkster
Basic User

Wanted to say hi and ask for advice

Post by shahrkster »

Hey folks....new to me 2004 R1150R Base Non-ABS 29K owner here. Not that I needed another bike :mrgreen: but came across this one and “had” to take it for a spin, and then take it for another one and check it out and then buy it. Just “had” to. :o Good news is I got it at a decent price.

Anyhoo...the bike seems to be doing well mechanically. During the 2nd test ride, the shifter got stuck and wouldn’t go past 2nd gear. That got fixed by lubing the linkage. Other than red part of the tachy flickers, a few of the bolts are rusted and I need to replace the front seat cover. Previous owners left it out in the sun and so there has been some oxidation of parts. Paint is in good condition. Side bags paint has deteriorated and need a redo.

Questions:
Bike has a low rpm or idling vibration. Smooths our at 3500 rpms and I could ride it there all day long. It’s the lower rpm that seem to send the jitters. Noticed that the vibrations are less even at 4000-5000 rpm and 100-110mph. Do feel them slightly in the handlebars and foot pegs , but nothing out of the ordinary. However, I am not sure how smooth this is supposed to be. Any comments would help.

I have looked for the manual online but the AScycle link won’t work. Any other place I can get this?

What kind of oils are recommended and what are the intervals? I am going to do the engine oil change first. Oil seems a little too dark. Also do people recommend K&N or High flow?

Any recommendations on where I can lookup and buy paint? I have the Silver one.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Wanted to say hi and ask for advice

Post by towerworker »

Congrats on the R1150R...hard bike to beat. A lot of good info and advice here. On the low rpm stuff......proper idle is 1050-1100 rpm if I remember right. You probably have what is referred to as a "dual-spark" since you say it's an '04. Primary plug is in the tunnel in end of jug. Those are fired by a "stick coil" or basically plug cap with integrated coil. They are known to be problematic and often fail early in miles or years. There is a secondary plug under the cylinder...fired by a conventional coil located under the tank. A bad or going bad stick coil is found by starting bike and pulling one of the secondary or "under jug" plug wires. If the bike stalls that side's stick coil is bad. If it continues to idle then move to the other side and pull it. Once you verify or correct that problem (if you have one) then the next step is to adjust the valves and then sync the throttle bodies. Do a search here and you'll find good info on both procedures. If you have difficulty report back here and I'll see what I can find for you. Or shoot an email..my name.. wayne.bowyer@gmaildotcom

Wayne
'04 R
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
airhead_irl
Basic User

Post by airhead_irl »

On these bikes, I thought that if you pulled a good coil then it would cause the bike to stall and a bad one pulled would not effect the running engine ?
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

That is certainly a way to check it... but firing the plug wire(pulling it off) you stand a very good chance of damaging the ignition system by firing the plug wire un loaded.
So if you pull a plug wire you really should put a plug (extra) in the socket and ground it. Then you can see if its firing. (not a running engine) Use the starter to check.

It is the only technically proper way to check if the plug is firing.

The engine will run on only the bottom plugs (or top) alone.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Do like you check a 9v battery. Touch the tip to your tongue. ;)
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I'm wondering if pulling a bottom wire will damage anything. I say that because both plugs (opposite sides) fire at the same time. The load on the coil will change but not disappear. The stick coils I'm less sure of. I pulled the bottom wires on mine troubleshooting years ago when my coils failed. No apparent harm but then again it was only for a few seconds.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Its the ecu that CAN be damaged not the coils.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

Thanks all for the responses.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

towerworker wrote:Congrats on the R1150R...hard bike to beat. A lot of good info and advice here. On the low rpm stuff......proper idle is 1050-1100 rpm if I remember right. You probably have what is referred to as a "dual-spark" since you say it's an '04. Primary plug is in the tunnel in end of jug. Those are fired by a "stick coil" or basically plug cap with integrated coil. They are known to be problematic and often fail early in miles or years. There is a secondary plug under the cylinder...fired by a conventional coil located under the tank. A bad or going bad stick coil is found by starting bike and pulling one of the secondary or "under jug" plug wires. If the bike stalls that side's stick coil is bad. If it continues to idle then move to the other side and pull it. Once you verify or correct that problem (if you have one) then the next step is to adjust the valves and then sync the throttle bodies. Do a search here and you'll find good info on both procedures. If you have difficulty report back here and I'll see what I can find for you. Or shoot an email..my name.. wayne.bowyer@gmaildotcom

Wayne
'04 R
Hey Wayne...looks like you arent too far from Winchester. Good to see a local around here. This morning when I started the bike (as you know its a little cold) it had knock/ping but it went away a little later. I think I am going to start by changing the oils on this and see what happens. Does anyone have an electronic version of the user manual for these? Need to know what oil to use.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

There are many opinions about oil. For myself, a low mileage rider, I change my oil annually and use dino oil. 20-50 weight for the engine and heavy duty gear oil 80-90 weight. I’m not so particular about brand. I stocked up on Kendall engine oil and Lucas for gear oil. I change the gear oil with every change. Its cheap insurance and I get to look at the drain plugs for any signs of shavings. I change the filter with every change. Beemer Boneyard Has bulk filter bargains and I order extra crush washers for all the plugs.

There are differing thoughts on synthetics......
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

Hyja1 wrote:There are many opinions about oil. For myself, a low mileage rider, I change my oil annually and use dino oil. 20-50 weight for the engine and heavy duty gear oil 80-90 weight. I’m not so particular about brand. I stocked up on Kendall engine oil and Lucas for gear oil. I change the gear oil with every change. Its cheap insurance and I get to look at the drain plugs for any signs of shavings. I change the filter with every change. Beemer Boneyard Has bulk filter bargains and I order extra crush washers for all the plugs.

There are differing thoughts on synthetics......
Thanks. I use mineral oil as well. I think synthetics are an overkill for these. I use Yamalube on my other bike and it seems to like it. What fuel type have you being using? I used 93 assuming this is what all BMWs need and I am thinking it may have caused the knocking/pinging sound.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

i use mid grade California spec fuel and have not had any knock. Originally, I was using super but folks on this site convinced me it wasn’t necessary. I switched to mid grade long ago with no issue.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I've had my best mileage on 89, but if loading the engine heavily it will occasionally ping. I run 93 most of the time. Hyja1....if you find yourself running south sometime give me a call....540-448-5767. Maybe we can meet up for coffee and exchange motorcycle tales.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

towerworker wrote:I've had my best mileage on 89, but if loading the engine heavily it will occasionally ping. I run 93 most of the time. Hyja1....if you find yourself running south sometime give me a call....540-448-5767. Maybe we can meet up for coffee and exchange motorcycle tales.

Wayne
Sounds good Wayne.
I just refilled with 89 and am going to see how that works out. That said my mileage on the last fill up was not what I expected - I got 28.1MPG. Yikes. However, that was a lot of city driving. But still makes me wonder if something else is off. The last owner must have not liked this bike too much and let mother nature have at it I am guessing.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I have gotten as high as 54-55 mpg and that was on the BRP and actually was two-up. Around town and occasionally rolling the throttle (maybe more than "occasionally") it'll quickly get into the 30's! Man, it's hard to not get into it! :) The darn thing is just so much fun to ride.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint