Clear Lens Breakdown

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

zooomart wrote:Are these clear lenses from BMW or are these after market replacements? It is possible that the aftermarket parts may not be using SAE spec resin which could explain the failures. Standard Acrylic resin will have a continuous use temp of 65-75C. I don't know if one blub runs hotter than another. Uv performance is great which is why Acrylic is spec'ed in the first place. Acrylic resin was scarce ( expensive) about two to three years ago. Who knows what corners were cut during production. Sue the bastards
:lol:
Mine are genuine BMW parts, but they were surprisingly cheap for BMW.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

They are BMW parts.
Buckster '03R
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Mine were bought on-line from a Mexican scooter shop in Gaudalupe. I placed the order from a hand drawn ad pic and a description. I kept getting emails that the parts had to be shipped from Borneo or somewhere so I phoned them to make sure of what I was getting. Even though I couldn't understand the guy very well, somehow I sensed that he was telling me the truth. So I ordered them.

No, I must confess. That is not the truth. I was trying to....Oh never mind.
I actually got mine as a kit from a BMW dealer on-line...like A&S or somehere like that online. It was before I realized the Rockster has clear lens and the parts could be easily bought from my dealer for a paltry sum.

Hearing the excellent report about Super glue, I may try that before running down and buying 2 more new clear lens.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

I too have experienced premature failure of the clear lenses.
And, in answer to zoomart's question:
Are these clear lenses from BMW or are these after market replacements?
- mine were BMW, not aftermarket. At about $9 ea, maybe cheap for a BMW part but definitely not cheap for $.02 worth of plastic.

It's not clear if it's a manufacturing or quality issue but certainly looks like this a pretty widespread problem.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

My experience:

The lenses I got from my BMW dealer were the BMW lenses. They required some modification to the tab to make a fit. And still they were easily broken when trying to fit them. I ended up having to superglue parts together which broke during installation on 2 of them, and buy another which could not be repaired.

That is when I discovered that superglue does, in fact, hold the plastic together just fine. Mine have been on my bike for about 9000 miles.

HOWEVER, when I broke the stem on my turn signal in my spill, I decided to replace one of the lenses which I was never happy with because some of the superglue had gotten on the inside of the lens and left it looking blurry in my opinion. No one else would have noticed it, but it was always on my list of things I wish I could fix.

So, this time I ordered a set (2) from A&S - but NOT the BMW brand. I got these:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43702

I found that not only did these not need any modification, but they seemed to fit so much better. No holding my breath while I tried to get it to fit right without breaking the tab, no fretting that the screw would break the plastic again - nothing. They just fit like they were suppose to and voila - they look great. Of course, it may be that I'm a little more experienced now, but I really think they just fit better. That has only been 1000 miles ago, so I can't vouch for how long they last.

I do not use mine as running lights since I have Piaa auxillory lights already, so that may make a difference.

If you order those clear lenses from A&S, make sure you specify what bike you are getting them for. The first set sent to me were for the KR and didn't fit. Not a problem exchanging, but it just causes a delay.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Hoof
Basic User

Re: Clear Lens Breakdown

Post by Hoof »

My turn clear signal lenses were covering bulbs that were more white than orange - I decided to change them. I noticed (from the invoice) that the previous owner had asked the servicing garage to check out the turn signals which were 'loose'. When changing the bulbs I found that two of the long tabs were broken and the screw (A self tapper!) in another had cracked the plastic on the lens it was supposed to screw into. Blu-Tak had been used to fix them! ....New ones ordered....These lens fittings really are rubbish - I wonder if I should put some Blue-Tak in with the tools!
Buckster
Lifer

Post by Buckster »

I can tell you that the clear lenses are way more brittle than the orange ones. I ended up going back with the orange although I did hit them with some "clear smoke" spray paint on the inside to give them a dark tinted look. I'm not sure how legal this is but it looks good!
Buckster '03R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

My dealer tried to tell me I had to buy the entire turn signal assembly as I broke one lens last year on the day of the eclipse. Flipped the bike into a ditch. Minor damage to bike and I. I ended up picking up about 8 or 9 pieces of amber lens from the ditch. I'm glad I saved them. Superglue and back on bike.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Just bought some new BMW lenses - the tabs break - just too fragile - and what kind of design relies on a self tapping screw into hard plastic! There are a number of mods avoiding permanent glue - 1) drill right through the plastic and use a small nut & bolt....you need to countersink the head lest Health & Safety considered any projection a danger. 2) tape the lens on. 3) use both 3) search for some decent turn signals that allow the replacement of the bulb. Please tell me if you find some!
Buckster
Lifer

Post by Buckster »

I drilled the whole a little bigger.
Buckster '03R