Clear Lens Breakdown

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Clear Lens Breakdown

Post by Boxer »

I've been riding with the clear turn signal lens using the Sylvania blue bulbs that burn orange. I really can't remember how long its been since I put those on, but not more than 2 years...closer to 1 1/2.
Anyway, I accidentally broke one by bumping it at the Bash last week. Then yesterday I checked the other one and sure enough it was also just holding on by a thread. The tab was broken.

I switched back to the orange lens with the regular bulbs.

I think maybe the plastic in the clear lens is susceptible to light and heat degradation. I just don't believe they should have been this weak by now. The first one I broke was barely tapped with my system case as I was showing Beemeridian my lowered muffler set-up. I thought maybe I had hit it harder than I thought, but when I took off the other one yesterday it proved my suspicions.

I guess now I'll have to go down and purchase some more of the Rockster clear lenses for the rear. They DO look too cool. :D
Dauntless
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Dauntless »

Mine broke too and I didn't even hit them. They are just poorly made.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Was it just in the picture or are the lenses actually yellowing (by heat maybe?) Do those Sylvania bulbs run hotter than standard bulbs? Do you have a SignalMinder that keeps them on as running lights?
Rich
ADIOS!
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

I agree with Dauntless. I've replaced my clear lenses so many times I carry a spare. I just use the regular orange bulb and don't run my SignalMinder all the time. They just don't seem to be very sturdy or else I'm hard on them.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

To me, the stock amber lenses look better. I know, I'm the weird one. I never thought the clear lenses looked better when they first became the hip mod to do. The clear lenses just appear cheap looking to me. It's just not right. The amber color provides an appealing contrast with all the black in the area, whether it's lit up or not.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
BoiseBeemer
Basic User

Post by BoiseBeemer »

CycleRob wrote:To me, the stock amber lenses look better. I know, I'm the weird one. I never thought the clear lenses looked better when they first became the hip mod to do. The clear lenses just appear cheap looking to me. It's just not right. The amber color provides an appealing contrast with all the black in the area, whether it's lit up or not.
I absolutely agree with you. It's always been astonishing to me how susceptible any common visual accessory--whether it be tail lights or the width of a necktie--can be to the arbitrary dictates of fashion. Some creatively bankrupt designer decides to invert common sense and call it stylish, and suddenly the smart look you sported last season is unpardonably passe. In this case, I just have to ask: who decreed clear tail/turn signal lights to be the hot new look? Granted, I'm not sorry to see the passage of red tail lights, but the reason I like amber in the turn signals is that it's a DIFFERENT color from the internationally recognized red stop light or the white illumination from the headlight. Kinda helps other motorists to get a subliminal handle on your intentions, but apparently that was WAY too sensible to be allowed to continue. Personally, I think applying fashion to a safety feature is just plain wrong-headed, sort of like the prevailing design paradigm in chopper style that says lights of any kind are ugly and must be hidden, if not eliminated; and that functional braking is superfluous because a second disk in the front would hide the elaborate lacing in the off-road-sized 2"x21" wheel. Of course the now-necessary inner tube will cause the tire to run hotter, shorten its life, and be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to patch on the road--but hey, those bikes aren't for riding anyway, so w-t-h?

Yeah, I like the stock color too, and, btw, the amber dome/clear light bulb combo is considerably cheaper than the clear dome/colored light combo.

Your wallet is trying to tell you something.javascript:emoticon(':)')
Bruce Jones
2004 Silver Roadster
2004 Copper Rockster
1953 Platinum spouse
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

The bulbs I used with the clear lens are Sylvania Blue, which burn orange. I use the Signalminder feature to run the turn signals on medium/low brightness for running lights. That MAY have been the problem. But alas, the comment about the poor quality may also be true. I've heard way too many stories of these things cracking for little reason.

Style issue? Well, let me just say this about that. Style is 99.9% subjective and as alluded to above we are mostly all sheep that follow someone else's subjective choices. Be that as it may, I don't think I'd ever wear bell bottom trousers again, even if they DID become stylish again.

I happen to favor the black/grey/silver color combination on my bike and gear. That's a fairly "normal" color scheme in the motorcycling world. Maybe for me it has something to do with being partially color-blind as well. Anyhoo, the clear lens add to that design color scheme as they appear grey/silver in color. I was even thinking about the clear taillight lens for later on.
Even though the amber lens appear brighter, and are more sensible and practical, I'll probably return to the clear lens. Or to be really different, maybe I'll sport one of each for a spell! :lol:
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

I also use the SignalMinder to give medium bright running lights, and have felt the lights tend to run a tad warmish. So far it hasn't been a problem with my stock orange lenses, but maybe the (lower quality?) clear ones are more susceptile to embrittlement by heat. If they're crazing (no, not you! :lol: ), I'd be considering reducing the temperature in the light housing, maybe by running them at a lower intensity or not at all (but I like the visibility), or, I think I remember reading something about drilling a small ventilation hole in the bottom of the light housing (so it won't let rain in) to release heat built up in there.

Good luck, and ride how you want to. :D
Rich
ADIOS!
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I like the looks of the clear lenses, but it is a matter of personal preference.

Coincidentally, I just noticed this past weekend that three of my four lenses had popped out, and two of them had broken tabs. They are definitely not the same quality as the amber ones.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

I run a signal minder, clear lenses with red bulbs out back because that's the law here in florida. No amber runninf lights out back. I wish they made red lenses . . .
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

CycleRob wrote:To me, the stock amber lenses look better. I know, I'm the weird one. I never thought the clear lenses looked better when they first became the hip mod to do. The clear lenses just appear cheap looking to me. It's just not right. The amber color provides an appealing contrast with all the black in the area, whether it's lit up or not.
Me three. Amber and black (black and tan?) go better together in my eyes.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I feel that the clear lenses with amber bulbs is more noticeable, but the yellow lenses add more 'color' to the bike. I like both, but prefer the white lenses.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Mine snapped also.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

The clear are definetly cheap...broke 1 of mine just installing it. I superglued it and seems fine for now. I only did the clear on the front and left the back with the orange. Just thought it looked better.
Buckster '03R
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

Hi jbuzbee: You're right, amber taillights aren't legal here in FL, HOWEVER, I asked a Florida Highway Patrol Officer who was one of the instructors at the MSF Experienced Riders Course I took a while back about it, and he said he'd never heard of anybody getting stopped for it anywhere, even here! BTW, he was riding a Fat-Boy Harley with red tail lights, but had a big flashing amber strobe light mounted high up on his sissy bar :roll: I thought if I ever got stopped for it, I'd just pay the $25 :( and figure that was cheap insurance for people seeing me from behind! :)
Rich
ADIOS!
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

The clear lens was on my 'to do' modification list but perhaps if these things are fragile, I will move it down several notches on the priority list!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Me too. (what Vann said)

buckster,

super glue does not work well with plastic. you might consider some back-up lenses.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

iowabeakster wrote: buckster,

super glue does not work well with plastic. you might consider some back-up lenses.
Actually super glue works great with some plastics. I used it to repair broken backup light lenses on an old Chevy van, and it was a permanent fix. They held up for years.

I've thought about getting the clear lenses for the rear so I could use red bulbs to be legal. I have a SignalMinder and use the running lights option. After reading through this thread, however, I think I'll stick with the amber lenses. I haven't been stopped yet, and I've passed a lot of cops, so I guess they're at least tolerated here in WA and OR. Besides I like the amber color, too.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

Turn indicators? Who needs turn indicators? :P :lol:
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
zooomart
Lifer

Post by zooomart »

Are these clear lenses from BMW or are these after market replacements? It is possible that the aftermarket parts may not be using SAE spec resin which could explain the failures. Standard Acrylic resin will have a continuous use temp of 65-75C. I don't know if one blub runs hotter than another. Uv performance is great which is why Acrylic is spec'ed in the first place. Acrylic resin was scarce ( expensive) about two to three years ago. Who knows what corners were cut during production. Sue the bastards
:lol:
2004 Silver R1150R