Which tyres do you actively DISLIKE.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Which tyres do you actively DISLIKE.

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

I nearly hijacked the poll on tyres, but deleted my posting.

I am more interested in the tyres which people DON'T like, particularly after they have just put on new tyres (with great expectations) after riding severely flatted tyres for the last 1000 or so miles.

I've no idea how to set up a poll on this..... anybody?

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

The worst tires that I have used are what came on the bike.

They were Michelin Macadams.

I call them Macadamian's...because they are as hard as nuts..( Macadamia nuts ).. :D

DJ
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Avons with about 4K miles on them. Still plenty of tread left but uneven wear made them twitchy as a squirrel on expresso! :P
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Gordium7
Lifer
Donating Member #: 566

Post by Gordium7 »

My factory tires did not impress -- at all. Bridgestone BT56's.

Handling was satisfactory when new, until I started to feel significant vibration during "sporty" turns due to front tire cupping. Started at about 4-5k miles.

By the time I hit 6k miles and time for the second dealer visit, the bad vibes had gotten *very* annoying, and the back tire was down to the wear bars near the centerline, with noticeable squaring off also. If I hadn't read about tire cupping in this forum, I would of imagined bad bearings or some such. I ride pretty conservatively most of the time, so such poor wear was a bit unexpected.

Needless to say, I took the opportunity to replace both tires with some Z6's.

The 6k service was about three weeks ago, and I am very pleased with the new tires so far.

This experience would steer me away from *any* Bridgestones.

It doesn't help that I had a very bad experience with OEM Bridgestones on my Honda CRV also. Those tires truly sucked. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the company or their designs.
2005 R1150R -- Granite Grey Metallic
Lifetime Member #566
qfman
Lifer

Post by qfman »

Mine came with Dunlop D208s - not sure what they have morphed into but most sporty Dunlops are dangerous when cold and are slow to heat. Also ran aset or two of Bridgestone BT020's. Dual compound, also slow to heat up but OK once hot. Reasonable wear.
I am now on about my 6th Metz Z6 rear. They stick and last.

Tom
Arbee
Basic User

Post by Arbee »

Michelin Pilot Roads let go on me on several occasions in the wet,
but they will outlast most tyres if thats what you want, my life
is worth more than $275 saved.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

I never liked Dunlops on the R. No feel. No faith.

I always really liked the Bridgestones, but the stock BT56 was a rock. Long life but no talent. BT010 and BT020 had very good feel but experienced early cupping and squaring off (when compared to Michelin or Metzler).
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Dunlops...eurgh.
Have to also agree with DJ about the macadams from other bikes I've owned. No grip...
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Bridgestone BT020s

NEVER liked them (or 010s). No feedback, no feel, no warning of imminent breakaway, square off after only a couple of thousand miles and whiteline like absolute bastards. Probably the one tyre I'll actually change BEFORE it's worn out.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

The factory supplied tires were Dunlop D207s. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
two wheel tango
Lifer

Re: Which tyres do you actively DISLIKE.

Post by two wheel tango »

Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales wrote:I am more interested in the tyres which people DON'T like...
I never did come to terms with a pair of Avon Azarros I tried a couple of years ago despite experimenting with various pressures. Very squirrelly... particularly slippery when cold. Dangerous in the rain. Got rid of them well before they wore out.
telliott
Basic User

Post by telliott »

Got my R used with fairly new Z6's. I didn't like the rear at all, front seems fine. Rear was way slick straight up, the rear brake locked with the slightest touch on the peddle. Cornering was stable but turn in was more difficult and the rear tracked really strangely on pavement irregularities. Jumped/wiggled sideways very disconserting. Then it went from slightly flattened in the center to steel on one very short trip. Maybe I just had a real lemon as most on the board seem to like them.

Changed to a PR rear and it is great so far. Turns are much easier and more linear. Rear brake is now usable (no changes to the brake system) and it tracks straight on irregularities. Just a much better feel.

YOMV
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
SLEDGE
Basic User

Post by SLEDGE »

The ones that are worn out. :D
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Definitely not Dunlops. Fitting Z6s after the factory-supplied Dunlops transformed the handling and made for much more sure-footed and confident riding.
Life Member #551
02 Blue BMW R1150R non-ABS
KMACR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by KMACR »

Agree with telliot on the Z6's. I like them in all respects save one. Weird squirrley feel on road irregularities or any water across the path. Great tires for mileage..I've gotten 11 and 12K out of mine, beginning with Z4's and later Z6's. But don't feel confident when in a turn and the back tire jukes around. Thought it was just me until now....
KMACR
2004 Titan Silver R1150R Non-ABS
"Rubber side down is always a great idea..."
Tripton
Basic User

Post by Tripton »

Bridgestone BT020.

They suck in every way.
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

my love/hate tires were the original dunlops.

I think bmw puts the sports tires on so you don't low side the bike with too much torque on the way out!

They were a blast to run, but lasted way too short and where magnets for screws and nails.

I just started a set of z6's, and will probably try the strada's next just to compare.

Another thought as well, how easy is it to objectively compare tires as the shocks age?

I have 23K on the R, and am getting the itch to pony up for some ohlins or wilbers (another 8 payments to BMW and I can put the $$$ towards the upgrades).

This new set of tires I put on 400mi ago have not wow'd me like the last set, and I think it is more a function of the worn shocks than the brand of tire.

Bill
telliott
Basic User

Post by telliott »

KMACR wrote:Agree with telliot on the Z6's. I like them in all respects save one. Weird squirrley feel on road irregularities or any water across the path. Great tires for mileage..I've gotten 11 and 12K out of mine, beginning with Z4's and later Z6's. But don't feel confident when in a turn and the back tire jukes around. Thought it was just me until now....
That's IT :!: I left out the standing water issue. I spoke with a couple of riders at a rally in early summer right after getting the R and 1 had the same issue the other didn't. I only had a few miles on it at that point and hadn't made the connection to the tires. Bet the guy that also had the issue had Z 6's and the other didn't.

With the PR, I definately don't have the "8-[ Spuirrley feel" now and love the feel in corners. It is so dry here that I haven't had a chance to try on wet roads. I'll watch out for the issue noted of letting go in the wet.
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I haven't had any tire I truly dislike. I've had mainly MEZ4 and Z6s on my R and SV. And while I really like the Z6s overall, I have to agree that at the limit when riding very aggressively that they don't feel very crisp. In that regard, I definitely prefered the MEZ4.

It's interesting to note that the Dunlops that are shod on my HD Dyna are pretty lousy. I'll replace them with performance tires once they're worn. Yeah I know. How can I tell the tire itself is bad when the bike as a whole doesn't handle anywhere near what the Roadster and SV650 will do? The Dyna handles pretty well for a cruiser and will flick back and forth surprisingly well for something that weighs 650 lbs.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

telliott & KMACR,

Don't blame the Z-6 tires for difficult or reluctant turn-in. First check the tire pressures and set them to 38F, 41R. Both your bikes likely have too low a rear shock preload setting. Start by loosening the preload knob all the way to the stop. If the last 2 or 3 turns from the minimum stop freewheel with no resistance, you'll need to refill the shock's preload oil (as described elsewhere on our board) to regain the preload travel needed. After that, when the knob is all the way tightened to the stop you will notice it turns in like power steering. That will happen unless the riders are morbidly obese and carry filled touring cases and trunk bag.

Hyjack ended. Back to tires I didn't like - - - Avon Azaro. Handling not good at extreme cornering angles. Handling got progressively worse as tread depth decreased. Used a lot of straight line full throttle to wear them out. Also heard much discontent from OilHead riders with D208 Dunlops.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--