What's a m/c forum without another dumb oil question???

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

def38
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: What's a m/c forum without another dumb oil question???

Post by def38 »

The turbo rebuild and sludge were likely due to the extreme heat that occurs in the turbo bearings. Look for an oil with a good Noack score to avoid oil cook off and the resulting viscosity change. Low ash oils perform better as well. Also, oils with fewer VIIs do better in these applications. As for the boxer, the service is not as severe as in a turbo application.

Also, the boxer owner who is changing engine oil every 3000 miles, you are wasting resources...your engine does not benefit from higher-than-recommended oil change frequency.

As for synthetics, the benefits are as follows;

1- Synthetics stay in grade much longer than non-synthetics.
2- Synthetics have excellent Noack scores compared to most non-0synthetics.
3- VIIs are typically not needed in synthetic oils.
4- TBNs are usually higher in virgin synthetic as compared to virgin non-synthetic oils.

What does this meas to you? Longer OCIs, ability to tolerate higher temperatures and stay in grade.
Dennis....quit worrying about your oil..go ride
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

azellner wrote:
Photoguy wrote: (part of my confusion was just coming off of a recent VW turbo re-build as a result of sludge build up that was related to a regular/synth oil issue)

I feel your pain with the VW... we had one clog with sludge at 60k, fought VW and they paid for the motor swap. Then we sold the car as other issues kept coming up.

But back the the german vehicle that i still own... Why not split the diffrence? I run Semi-synthetic blend in my '02R... makes me feel like I care but not at full price.
No pain to speak of. the car was within 2 months and 3k miles of the end of the 10year/100k warranty. VW picked up the entire cost including a week's worth of rental car

This bike is pretty new to me, my primary issue at this time of year is doing an oil change to set it up for winter. I have no idea what kind of mileage I'll put on it next year, but it's unlikely that I'll hit 5K considering how many other distractions I have in my life! Cost/benefit is as much a concern as anything else and with the cost of synthetic, it seemed way too expensive to put in the bike and then take it out without having the benefit of a longer change interval. Maybe the semi is a good way to go, thanks.

And Def, I agree with you about wasting resources...maybe I should just consider draining the oil and putting it back in in the spring? Hmmm.... :-k
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Photoguy wrote: This bike is pretty new to me, my primary issue at this time of year is doing an oil change to set it up for winter. I have no idea what kind of mileage I'll put on it next year, but it's unlikely that I'll hit 5K considering how many other distractions I have in my life! Cost/benefit is as much a concern as anything else and with the cost of synthetic, it seemed way too expensive to put in the bike and then take it out without having the benefit of a longer change interval. Maybe the semi is a good way to go, thanks.

And Def, I agree with you about wasting resources...maybe I should just consider draining the oil and putting it back in in the spring? Hmmm.... :-k
If it was me, considering you don't ride in the winter, I'd start using Castrol GTX 20-50. It's relatively cheap, $2.50 a qt at the big retailers, and it will meet all you summer riding needs. Change your oil in November, give it a good run to get everything lubed up, then put it on the trickle charger until the snow melts.
I use 20-50 year round, but it's a little harder to start when it appoaches freezing. I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1 15-50 synthetic and changing twice a year. Just a little side deal, I use Purolator PureOne PL10241 filters. I paid $11 delivered from amazon for (2). I think they're nearly as good as BMW. There are other good filters as well.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
def38
Basic User

Post by def38 »

Additional alternatives are Shell Rotella, Delo 400 or Mobil Delvac 1300 all 15W-40 HDEOs....excellent TBNs, great additive package and low cost...if you ride 5000-7000 miles annually, change annually before the winter layup. These oils are available at Walmart in gallon jugs. They are popular with over-the-road diesel truck owners. If I were in a cooler climate, I would use any of these oils in the boxer without reservation.
def38
Basic User

Post by def38 »

Arbee wrote:10W40 is normal grade motorcycle oil.
20W50 is more suited to very well used engines in a warm/hot climate. :mrgreen:
Not really..........correct oil viscosity selection is based upon climate...20w-50 is BMWs recommended grade for summer temperatures and is not mileage related. Oil with 10W-40 viscosity range is a rather poor choice for an air cooled engine due to the high levels of VIIs needed to produce the wide viscosity range. I would opt for 15w-40 HDEO grade and leave the 10w-40 in the store.
def38
Basic User

Post by def38 »

Photoguy wrote:
azellner wrote:
Photoguy wrote: Maybe the semi is a good way to go, thanks.[/i][/b]
Synthetic blends are a waste of money. Would you consider mixing 8 year old bourbon with 25 year old bourbon?

I hope not.

Diluting synthetic oil with non-synthetic reduces the performance of the pure synthetic to only that of the non-synthetic. Remember, the synthetic oil has properties exclusive to the synthetic oil molecule...mixing it with non-synthetic is just marketing.
marine dad
Basic User

Post by marine dad »

so what oil filter do you guys recommend ?
thanks
mike
Martyn
Basic User

Post by Martyn »

For what it's worth - which may not be much :badgrin: - here in the UK BMW GB has changed their oil recommendation. For all the oil-heads it used to Castrol GP, followed by an option to change to GPS, a semi-synthetic.
They now recommend Castrol Actevo GP Mineral Oil 20W50, & if you get your bike serviced at a BMW main dealer, that's what they will use.

I appreciate we have a mild temperate climate but it works just fine in those circumstances.
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Martyn,
My BMW dealer put in a Putoline 20/50 (forget the actual description) at this years service.I had previously used a semi synth 15W/40 when I did my own oil changes. I asked them about the oil and they also said BMW had changed their recommendation.
Cranking speed is now noticably slower and fuel warning light comes on around 10 miles earlier.
BUT the cam chain rattle stops after a second or so. Is this the real reason for the grade change?

Not heard of that specific Castrol 20/50- is it really that critical or would any good brand of 20/50 be OK?
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
dnat928

Post by dnat928 »

Sorry in advance, but I'm compelled to complete towerworkers quote:

Opinions are like backsides-----everyone has one...and they all stink!

Once again, sorry. And BTW, Castrol 10W40, just to stay within the thread subject.
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34
def38
Basic User

Post by def38 »

marine dad wrote:so what oil filter do you guys recommend ?
thanks
mike
The OE filter while expensive is an excellent piece. If you select non OE, go Purolator or Mobil1 brands.
D.B.
Basic User

Post by D.B. »

I've never heard of an aircooled (or air-oil cooled) engine blowing because of the wrong oil, have you?......no oil, yeah!

D.B.
def38
Basic User

Post by def38 »

D.B. wrote:I've never heard of an aircooled (or air-oil cooled) engine blowing because of the wrong oil, have you?......no oil, yeah!

D.B.
What do you mean by blow? ......Parts coming trough the engine case, cylinder falling off, piston burning up with a hole?

While the engine may not explode as you mention, the wrong oil with the incorrect additives can cause problems such as;

1- Leaking.
2- Sludge.
3- Excessive wear metals.
4- Shearing.
5- Going out of grade.
6- Low TBN.
7- Ashing.
8- Corrosion.
9- Engine seizure (blowing?).

No oil? A loss of oil pressure even for a moment can do costly engine damage and can cause seizures leading to a "blow". [-X

Use the recommended oil called out in the manual and you'll be fine. =D>
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

To revive an old thread, now that Photoguy is back in the fold, I used semi- synthetic 10W/40 in my K75 and now 20W/50 in my R1150R.
Hedging my bets so I have a foot in both camps. I'm also a summer rider and my bike tends to be laid up for 6 months here in the UK.
There's no thread like an old thread!
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

FWIW
I bought my Rockster new '04
259K miles.
Currently on east coast on a round trip back to CA that will be 5K to 6.5K total.
Oil change intervals vary to type of riding. Any significant dirt road riding will change soon as trip ends. Average about 8K miles
Castrol 20W50 petroleum no additives.(all year) Use stainless steel mesh cleanable oil filter since new. Clean and inspect closely contents.
Stock paper air filter.
Stick coils once for high speed misfire, did not fail.
Stock Bosh or NGK spark plugs average 18K or once a year.
Compression in high 160s psi.
Rare to add any oil between changes. Rare to find any oil in airbox regardless of type of ridding.
Almost never do stop and go traffic.(filter when needed).
Rocker float adjusted once.
Proper smooth riding and always bring the engine to temp anytime started is normal.
Moto lives in SoCal.
Average about 19K per year, very rarely take short trips.
No drive line failures but during only demate replaced the u joints and swing are bearings.(min spline ware and still on original clutch)
Ohlin shocks since new, rebuilt every 25K miles.
Sergeants seat.
Staintune exhaust. (Complete from head pipes back.

To say I'm happy w/this machine is an understatement.
Last edited by kirby on Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

I wish that there was a 'like' button! I forgot I'd even asked the original question!

And now that I'm back in the fold, will be catching up on all the things I'd forgotten ;)
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

I must be one sick pervert because I kinda like oil threads.

My reading tells me that synthetic is superior in every way. When you consider the cost of being alive, the higher price is not significant. The PO used dino; when I took delivery- at 20k miles- I immediately switched to man-made.

But..... signs of leaking oil appeared along the vertical seam - not much, didn't have to add in 5k miles. But still....made me nervous - could the channels expand causing the leaks to get worse? I went to dino, Castrol GTX 20-50 - no more leaks.

Yeah.. it's something to do with molecules but I don't know why this example of superior German engineering has problems with high tech oil. Is it the composition of the seals? Western Europeans are notoriously secular so it can't be that they want us to use oil made by God instead of created entities. Could be it's the same guys that gave us the high maintenance brake system, the self- destructive brake lines, the plastic fuel coupling waiting to fail and the goofy turn signals?

I must really like this bike. Have to admit that I do.
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

Never thought I would contribute to another oil thread, but... I've used synthetics, syn-blends, and dino oil in boxers ranging from true airheads to the oilers. Changing the oil is so easy (and reasonably priced using the natural stuff) that I have pretty well gone back to fossil fuel oil. One reason is that any maintenance procedure is an opportunity to evaluate mechanical conditions within the vehicle; it's possible to learn something about one's bike by changing the oil that wouldn't be discovered by checking the oil via the dipstick. I just buy multiple oil filters from Beemer Boneyard and change every 3K miles, and at the beginning and end of the riding season.
JeffEd65
Basic User

Post by JeffEd65 »

Can somebody please mention about synthetic antifreeze? Asking for a friend.
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

OK. How about vodka? I know it's not exactly synthetic, but as the originator of this thread I feel entitled. :lol: