Happy new R1150R owner with a few questions

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RVC7
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Happy new R1150R owner with a few questions

Postby RVC7 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:54 am

Well, I've had my '02 for about 2 months now and I must say, for my 1st bike in 25 years I think I made the right choice. It really handles great. I'll probably change the touring screen out for the Parabellum scout. I do get bounced around quite a bit on the highways. Since I'm tall (6'2) the air hits me right in the chest and shoulders. I've searched in these forums and others with no luck or exact answers. Here are a few questions:
1). I purchased a PAC-029 powerlet http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44935 but when I looked up and behind the socket hole there was only a small two prong adaptor that didn't fit the male end of this part. How do I connect the two?
2). I'm about to change out the stock seat. As you all know, your bum doesn't survive more than about an hour without going numb. I'm going back and forth between the Rick Mayers leather or the Corbin Sargent. Any thoughts on these or any other brands?
3). Does anyone have any experience with kidney belts for helping your back on long rides? I'm sure once I change the seat all will be good but this is what I'm refering to:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=BACKALINE
4). I'd like to change the mirrors to larger oval ones so I can see better. Any thoughts?
5). I'm trying to decide if I need handlebar risers and if so what size for my height. Any thoughts? I do get a little uncomfortable on longer rides, but that could be due to the seat.
6). I'd like to do regular maintenance. Other than instructions online, has anyone come across any teaching DVD's? If not, someone could make $$$$ if they produced one.
Thanks in advance to all!
'02 Piedmont Red

gregor
Basic User

Re: Happy new R1150R owner with a few questions

Postby gregor » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 am

We must be of different proportions but the same height! I find the stock round mirrors work just fine and they give a clear unobstructed view! My MRA adjustable screen pushes the airblast right over my head and the standard seat causes no discomfort after the first long ride of the season.Rest of bike is standard and never felt like adjusting footrests or bars on 300mile plus rides.
Nowt as queer as folk.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin

Darius
Lifer
Donating Member #: 597

Postby Darius » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 am

I love my Sargent seat. The longest day ride on my '04 was 673 miles and one of the only things that weren’t sore was my butt! The stock Sargent seat height splits the difference between the stock low and high seat so you will notice a difference. I considered the Russell, but could not get past the look. I have heard many good things about Corbin although a friend of mine with an R1200R has had to return 2 Corbins as they simply will not attach to his bike.

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Postby Boxer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 am

It is unclear what you mean by:
but when I looked up and behind the socket hole there was only a small two prong adaptor that didn't fit the male end of this part.

Picture would help.

Most bikes come equipped with the BMW accessory socket with a spring lid at the top and right end of the starter cover. If yours does not have that outlet, there will be the connector zip-tied back inside behind that same area, and you just buy the outlwt and it plugs right into the existing wiring, then you attach the spring-lidded outlet into the hole in the starter cover, which would be the female end for your adapter cable you just bought.

webmost
Basic User

Postby webmost » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:25 am

Russell makes a damn fine seat. Climbed into the saddle at 9am Sunday, rode till 6pm, got off walking straight. No probs.

Leather is highly over rated as a seat covering; especially when it rains.

I agree with barbacks. I don't like the dog position; not even the slight dog... The dog position is for dogs. Barbacks and a decent seat will help your back as well as your wrists.

There are pretty good maintenance articles all over the net. Particularly at ibmr.org; for instance: www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual ... -25-02.pdf

Always nice to have a Haynes manual. Set it beside the toilet for quiet study time.

If you would enter your location in your profile, perhaps some other owner will let you come over and sit on their custom seat behind bar risers, so that you can evaluate.
2003 R1200CLC "Annie"
1995 R1100R "Acela"
2006 Honda 919 "Busted"

Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Postby Biff's R » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:26 pm

I found that going smaller on the windshield is better than getting bigger.

Maintenance video:
http://www.jimvonbaden.com/service2.aspx

I have used an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad.

Some people have installed K1200RS mirrors.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!

bikermeow
Lifer

Postby bikermeow » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 pm

You can change to a K1200RS mirrors if that will turn you on :) That is well documented.

RVC7
Basic User

Postby RVC7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:35 pm

The reason why I'd like to change my mirrors is simply because I can't see out of the stock mirrors. I stated in my 1st post that I'm 6'2. When was the last time you saw a gentleman that was my height and had small shoulders? Exactly. I wear a 46L (athletic) suit and a XXL jacket. Trust me, I need wider mirrors. Thanks to all for your responses and help.
P.S. Just ordered a Rick Mayer leather seat today. Did you all know they are on sale now? Now for the 6 week wait.
'02 Piedmont Red

gregor
Basic User

Postby gregor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:23 am

Enjoy the bike.And the new mirrors.
I'm size 46" as well so I guess my eyes must be wider apart. :p

gregor
Basic User

Postby gregor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Shoulders? On the way home I realised that it is only part of my elbows that I can see if I sit a bit relaxed. So do you guys across the pond have mirrors at shoulder level rather than elbow level? :?: :doubt: :?:

REFFI
Basic User

Postby REFFI » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I bought my '04 in '06. The P.O. had installed bar risers and an aftermarket shift lever. (His feet must have also been large.) I made it home (about 600 miles) in a two stop journey. The seat was a bear. And my knees were way to high for comfort. I'm an overly large person, too. I had the dealer lower the pegs and bought a Bill Mayer seat (rode in and was 'fitted' by Bill Mayer. Three hour ride home posed no real discomfort. My previous bike had an original Bill Mayer Saddle (what is now the Russell) I would say that the Russell was more comfortable (even after owning it for 25 years) but the thought of riding all the way to their shop to be fitted was more than I could undertake. I, too, prefer a more erect posture when riding. The bar backs just about get me there. I still have a little forward lean but there is no real pressure on my wrists.

Good Luck with your new seat.

Ralph
REFFI

NAIAD
Lifer

Postby NAIAD » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:45 am

Think you'll love the Mayer seat...went down there a couple of weeks ago and had Rick make a new seat for my '04 r1100s Prep. VERY well constructed and much better than stock. Also looks like a custom seat! Had a Sargent on my 1150R, and though it was reasonably comfortable it was rather "plain Jane" in appearance.

I'm 6'2" also and broad shoulderer, and the K12 mirrors helped, but frankly they didn't seem like a huge improvement, FWIW.

Ciao! BJ

Return to “R 1 1 5 0 R”