Diagram of Cable Ties?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kantuckid
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Diagram of Cable Ties?

Post by kantuckid »

I like the control offered by using a small(SMALL!) wire cutter with sharp points for these ties- a Dremel tool is not my idea of what I want around the wires. :)
ekyang
Basic User

Post by ekyang »

I swapped out my tight cable ties with looser ones just to prevent the cables from going all wild on me while in motion.
ekyang
Basic User

Post by ekyang »

On a related note - recently I've been trying to diagnose why my bike is having trouble starting and while wiggling the wire looms directly behind the headlight it let me fire it up again. All I did was flip the side stand in the up position and wiggle the wires.

I've heard from a buddy that BMW cables were engineered to be more "green" in terms of more biodegradable to facilitate lesser environmental waste. Anybody else heard this or is this just urban legend?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

ekyang wrote:On a related note - recently I've been trying to diagnose why my bike is having trouble starting and while wiggling the wire looms directly behind the headlight it let me fire it up again. All I did was flip the side stand in the up position and wiggle the wires.

I've heard from a buddy that BMW cables were engineered to be more "green" in terms of more biodegradable to facilitate lesser environmental waste. Anybody else heard this or is this just urban legend?

You have a broken wire. Potentially in the cable loom that leads from the ignition switch.

I had just this issue recently and the broken wire was the red wire from the ignition switch!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
ekyang
Basic User

Post by ekyang »

How did you troubleshoot? Did you strip all the cable housings first?
Oilhead
Basic User

Post by Oilhead »

mwelker wrote:Is this about the Technical Service Bulletin about the instrument wiring harness being chafed or pinched? My dealer gave me a copy of the TSB one day when I was there for a new tire (I didn't have the bike with me). The service advisor said it was not covered under any warranty (my bike was out of factory warranty). The TSB provides an aftersales solution of installing an edge protector. Has anyone done this, or are you just cutting the cable ties and letting the wires hang loose, which is what it sounds like.
When my 2002 R1150R was a few years old, my dealer told me about the service bulletin and performed it at no charge even though the bike was out of warranty. I have not had any problems with the harness and to this day it looks to be in perfect condition.
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS