getting spark plug wires off

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

cswett
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

getting spark plug wires off

Post by cswett »

I've been working up the nerve to do my own valve adjustment but I can't get the darn spark plug wires off. Using the plastic puller from the bike tool kit, the wires won't budge. Is there any trick to it? Should I use pliers to clamp down on the plastic puller?
I am deathly afraid of breaking something, so I want to be really careful and not use too much force.
I know some folks have written here that the plastic wire puller is a piece of junk and I should use something different, but I'd really to not order another gizmo for the took kit.
Thanks
Clint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: getting spark plug wires off

Post by Sunbeemer »

The plastic wire puller works fine for me, but you have to be sure it is fully engaged under the squeare rubber block at the top of the spark plug boot, and then pull firmly for a few seconds to break the suction of the wire on the plug. it should pull right straight off with a pop.

Good luck.
Rich
ADIOS!
timl
Basic User

Post by timl »

I had the same experience as Clint. I eventually got it off, but I don't look forward to having to do this again. The plastic tool doesn't completly grip the boot and easily slips off - maybe because either the tool or the boot is worn from repeating this procedure.
2004 Rockster
cswett
Basic User

Post by cswett »

Tool and the boot are both brand new -- bike has only 4,000 miles and I don't think the boot has been off since the 600-mile service. The tool did keep slipping off and I don't know how to make it secure or even really how to get a good grip on it. Makes me want to reach for my channel-lock pliers and really screw things up.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Using the spark plug puller from the tool requires equal parts blind faith and reckless abandon. It will work but as Sunbeemerpoints out, you need to make sure it is properly engaged.
A nice constant, strong pull is what works for me.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

At the BMWMOA Rally Oilhead seminar it was highly recommended that you remove the wires from the stick coils BEFORE attempting to remove the coils from the sparks. Apparently, the force needed to remove the stick coil from the plug can cause you to put excess stress on the connection. Break the connection, you have a problem. Just sayin'. Sounded like a good idea to me. Take 'em off, then get down on the tool.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Loop a string (or wire) under the "cross bar" in the middle of the tool. This will help keep the tool from opening up. Use one hand (thumb and two fingers) to apply pressure on the puller tool to help keep it gripped on the coil. And...pull on the string with steady force.

Like DuckDave said, disconnet the wire from the coil or you may damage the connectors.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
two wheel tango
Lifer

Post by two wheel tango »

I fiddled around with that tool the first time I tried to pull the stick coils and gave up. I just use a screw driver to catch the lip on the head of the stick coil and lever against the valve cover. (rag on the valve cover to protect against nicks)

Painless - Hassle free - All the time.
cswett
Basic User

Post by cswett »

I'm at a loss to even know where the stick coil is. Any photos you can point me to?
Thanks
Clint
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

The stick coil is the thing you are trying to pull out (in the o4-06 models). The stick coil is the black plastic shaft that attaches the spark plug. If you have an earlier model, don't worry about it, it has a different arrangement, and it doesn't really mattter.

I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
cswett
Basic User

Post by cswett »

I was just looking at where the wire attaches to the stick coil. Is there any trick to detaching the wire. Tugged gently where it attaches to the coil, but not lot of room for fingers in there. Is there any kind of release that will free it from the coil?
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

challey wrote:Using the spark plug puller from the tool requires equal parts blind faith and reckless abandon. It will work but as Sunbeemerpoints out, you need to make sure it is properly engaged.
A nice constant, strong pull is what works for me.

Charlie
+1 on the above

I would add that as you are pulling with steady firm pressure, carefully watch the puller to ascertain it is not slipping off.

I had the same frustration when I first used it, but can do it much better now

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

iowabeakster wrote:Loop a string (or wire) under the "cross bar" in the middle of the tool. This will help keep the tool from opening up. Use one hand (thumb and two fingers) to apply pressure on the puller tool to help keep it gripped on the coil. And...pull on the string with steady force.

Like DuckDave said, disconnet the wire from the coil or you may damage the connectors.

What he said - 1" wide fabric strap is the best "add-on" to use.

The issue is that pulling on the "thumb-loop" on the tool tends to open up the jaws, rather than pulling them together (it's poorly designed). The strap around the cross bar reverses this effect.

The trick to prevent "overpull" is to put the fingers of your other hand over the head of the stick-coil to catch it - BUT - DO NOT COVER THE SIDE WITH THE CONNECTOR!! - Otherwise, you WILL break that flimsy pos connector.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Beemeridian demonstrated a method for removing the coil.

Carefully, lift the wire connector "latch" on the coil. It's small and can break, so do this carefully. A thin screwdriver should work. The wire bundle will disconnect from the coil easily, while the "latch" is gently lifted.

Using the method (with plastic coil remover and string/strap) described above sounds like a great idea.
The one Beemeridian suggested was placing cloth (section of towel, shop rag, t-shirt, etc.) above and below the coil, inside the valve head cover - imagine simply lining the opening with the cloths. Then, using two screwdrivers, simply pry the coil outward toward you. Again, this part is done gently - with the cloths providing protection around the coil and protecting the valve covers from the screwdrivers. I've seen him do this before and it works, but should be done gently.

The other option is to spend about $40 and get the metal coil stick remover. It works like a charm every time; however, $40 seems a bit pricey.
Member #725