Heated grips blowing fuse

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Aitch
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Heated grips blowing fuse

Post by Aitch »

With winter coming on and my grips getting worn, I thought I'd approach this problem.
Heated grips were not working so I replaced the fuse. They worked for a short time then quit.
I assume the fuse is again blown.
I have 48K on the bike and the grips are in need of replacement.
Do I have a chance of finding and fixing the "short" or am I doomed to replacing the whole works?
If anyone has experienced a similar problem I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks all!
02 R1150 R Black
69 GMC Stroker
84 300ZX
74 CL450 Scrambler

Which way where and if any when?
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Heated grips blowing fuse

Post by boxermania »

Have you checked under the nylon ties that hold the wire bundles to the handlebar and or under the steering head? Historically, the nylon ties have been applied too tight and with the turning of the handlebars it has been a common occurrence for the wires to break by flexing.....in some instances you have to slice through the bundle cover to get to the wire. You can do a earch on the topic.

I would check that first.....good luck.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Remove the throttle side bar end weight and shine a bright lite in there. You're looking for (all bad things) the grip wire being tight, rubbing on the bar's cut opening edge, even a broken wire. If the wire's too tight it very likely wore thru the insulation, a little bit every time you turned the throttle and shorted it's power to ground. Poof goes the fuse. The fix is to feed in more wire where it enters the bar at the top curve, so you can remove the throttle grip off the handlebar to tape up the worn thru insulation. On the reinstall, ensure there is enough slack inside when the throttle is turned to full and back.

The damaging factory zipties on the front main harnesses should be removed. They can cause grip heat failure but blowing the fuse is more likely the internal grip wire is too tight and rubbing thru it's insulation on the sharp internal edge. Especially with the age/mileage of your bike.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Aitch
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Aitch »

boxermania, I replied yesterday but don't find my post. Thanks for the input.
cyclerob, that's great specific information. I appreciate your time.
I'll have time over the coming long weekend to investigate and see if I can determine the cause of the short, but may wait until I have some replacement grips to remove the old grips.
I'll need to review the threads on grip replacement and grip recommendations.

Thanks again!
02 R1150 R Black
69 GMC Stroker
84 300ZX
74 CL450 Scrambler

Which way where and if any when?
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Heated Handlebar Grips - fuse keeps blowing - Cyclerob gave me the answer - after going through all the wires, tank off, insulation checks and many hours of wasted time I removed the throttle bar end as Cyclerob suggested. Inside the black heater connection wire was bare...easy to see with a torch. Insulation worn away by throttle action on the sharp interior fitting causing the short....A small blob of epoxy on the bare wire to re-insulate it and some slit tube over the wire for good measure took just a few minutes. So helpful.