Removing fuel injectors

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Removing fuel injectors

Post by challey »

As part of the (very) gradual rehabilition of my bike, I need to get my fuel injectors tested. This of course requires removing them. I don't have access to an aftermarket manual and it's not clear to me from the diagrams that I do have access to just how the injector and fuel supply hose are removed.

Can anyone help me out with this? I'm sure it's simple enough but I'd rather not really bugger something up at this stage.

Charlie

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair." -- Douglas Adams
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Removing fuel injectors

Post by boxermania »

challey

Should be fairly easy

1) Remove the electrical connector from the injector and set aside.
2) Remove the two M5x16 bolts on the plastic that affixes the injector to the head.
Note before proceeding: There are two o-ring fits on the injector, one to the head and one to the plastic holder.
3) Holding the injector body against the head, carefully remove the plastic holder from the top of the injector....be carefull here as the injector might come off the head instead. The idea is to remove the holder from the top of the injector first, taking care not to kink or damage the attached fuel line. If the injector where to come off the head first, then remove the injector from the plastic holder by pulling straight out.
4) Move the injector slightly side to side and pul back from the head.
5) Once the injector is out cover the hole.
6) Once you get the injectors back, insure the holes in the head and the holder are clean and add a little vaseline or similar to the new injector o-rings to facilitate the re-installation.
7) Don't overtighten the injector plastic holder as it can potentially crack.
8) Recheck the injector holder tightness after 200 miles of operation.

I don't know where you intend to have the injectors tested, personally, my favorite is: http://www.rceng.com/

Good luck
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
R1150Rclean
Basic User

Re: Removing fuel injectors

Post by R1150Rclean »

And be aware that the O-ring between the fuel line and the injector can stay in the fuel line housing. If you pull the injector off of the fuel line and there is no O-ring on the injector's end then the O-ring "pulled" off and you need to pull it out of the fuel line housing and put it back onto the injector. Other wise, if you try to reassemble it with the O-ring still inside of the fuel line housing fuel WILL leak out.