Any harm in keeping the cat while changing the pipe?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Grey Thumper
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Any harm in keeping the cat while changing the pipe?

Post by Grey Thumper »

Been thinking of getting a new slip-on, although I feel vaguely guilty about replacing the cat with a Y pipe. Any disadvantages to keeping the cat?
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Any harm in keeping the cat while changing the pipe?

Post by riceburner »

Grey Thumper wrote:Been thinking of getting a new slip-on, although I feel vaguely guilty about replacing the cat with a Y pipe. Any disadvantages to keeping the cat?
only the heat build up, which is only really an issue in the hotter areas of the world.

I'm currently running the cat by itself - I swear the bike is quieter than it was with the standard can on..... :?: :?: :?:

mind you - my standard can rattled like buggery! :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

riceburner wrote:only the heat build up, which is only really an issue in the hotter areas of the world.
Just to clarify, so the cat is likely to run hotter with a less restrictive pipe? Good to know, since I do live in one of the hotter areas of the world.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Grey Thumper wrote:
riceburner wrote:only the heat build up, which is only really an issue in the hotter areas of the world.
Just to clarify, so the cat is likely to run hotter with a less restrictive pipe? Good to know, since I do live in one of the hotter areas of the world.

no - I was referring to the "generic" heat build that is caused by the restrictions in the cat.

With an open pipe I'd guess the cat may well run a touch cooler because the hot gases can escape the cat more easily. With the standard can, they can't.

What ever you do - do NOT run a Y-piece with the standard can. The exhaust from the can will be VERY hot - hot enough to melt the OE panniers. (trust me on that).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

on the heat topic (I know, hijack right?). I got curious today so after a decent length ride, I took the bike to work to make use of our IR thermometer. My Remus can (titanium/carbon fiber) was 145 degrees Fahrenheit; the header pipes were 460 degrees Fahrenheit. Didn't measure the y-pipe.
KiwiRR
Basic User

Post by KiwiRR »

My cat and standard pipe were replaced with a Remus Y-pipe and carbon can by a previous owner. I didn't like the noise/look and put the standard can back on with the Y-pipe. Has run great over the last two years and no probs with the panniers, albeit NZ summers may not be as hot as elsewhere in the world.
-------------------
'02 R1150R, Wellington NZ
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

riceburner wrote:
What ever you do - do NOT run a Y-piece with the standard can. The exhaust from the can will be VERY hot - hot enough to melt the OE panniers. (trust me on that).
Not to be argumentative, but I ran a Sebring Y-pipe with the OEM can and system cases for years with no problems. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe it was just the lower ambients of the Northern Hemisphere but I did not have a problem in 28,000 miles of varied riding, including some long highway trips and some stints in heavy summer traffic.

YMMV

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

challey wrote:riceburner wrote:
Not to be argumentative, but I ran a Sebring Y-pipe with the OEM can and system cases for years with no problems. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe it was just the lower ambients of the Northern Hemisphere but I did not have a problem in 28,000 miles of varied riding, including some long highway trips and some stints in heavy summer traffic.

YMMV

Charlie
Sounds like you were lucky then.
I ran a Remus Y-pipe with the OE can for one trip to France from the UK and the exhaust melted a hole in the rear face of the pannier - I can only assume a freak eddie / vortex in the aerodynamics around that area caused that part of the pannier to feel the full heat of the exhaust gases.

oh - and as for being "argumentative", I can only speak and advice from my own experiences - as can we all. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

The exhaust from the can will be VERY hot - hot enough to melt the OE panniers.
Discovered the effect of hot exhaust gasses on BMW System Cases last season:

Seems that one of two rivets holding my ZTechnik muffler's "cloisonné" badge fell out, leaving a very small (2-3mm) hole in side of can. Unfortunately, the badge-side of muffler is the bag-side... like the Colorado River slowly but surely eroding soil & clay to produce Grand Canyon, that little muffler hole huffed & puffed & melted a small hole through the backside of case, filling the interior with exhaust gasses and water vapor. The resulting condensation completely soaked and stained the bag's contents, melted plastic bag material, left a stink.

Somewhere I've got pics...
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Found the pics...

What exhaust system leaks can do to your System Cases:

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
jcridge
Lifer
Donating Member #: 876

Post by jcridge »

Has anyone looked at back-pressure of the cat and muffler? I too would like to remove the cat in favor of better acceleration and less heat, but don't really want extra noise. I have read quite a few posts here on different variations of slip-ons, modified stock cans, stub pipes with cat, etc... But haven't been convinced that what BMW has given us isn't the best overall.

Keeping the cat and custom bending a straight pipe to exit below and beyond the left pannier is something I have been thinking about. Anyone done this? I would like to know if the noise level increased, or does it just change pitch. A lower tone, slightly louder would be ok.

As far as the Y-pipe with factory can burning the pannier, I would think a simple heat shield spaced on the back of the pannier would take care of that. But it is good to know that it can be an issue when tweaking the exhaust.

John
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

jcridge
Keeping the cat and custom bending a straight pipe to exit below and beyond the left pannier is something I have been thinking about. Anyone done this? I would like to know if the noise level increased, or does it just change pitch. A lower tone, slightly louder would be ok.
Has been done many times, loss of about 18 pounds not louder sound but mellower, the tip can be sourced at ay auto parts store, needs to be 1.75 in diameter witha slight bend, inexpensive. You can even used the clamp/protector between the cat and the original muffler.

I saw the first one on Rat Bastard's bike at the first Beakster Bash (April '04), there have been many more since then.

Do a search
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I ran for a long time with no muffler, and many others have as well. The first proponent of that, IIRC, was djdownunder, going back to maybe 2002? I put the muffler back on for inspection, and decided I liked the looks better.

Others, like cyclerob, have removed some of the restrictions in the muffler, but kept it on for some back pressure.

Oh, and get rid of the cat

Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74