Starts intermittently won't run

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

paulro
Basic User

Starts intermittently won't run

Post by paulro »

The sun is out, a perfect day for a ride but this morning, having not ridden the bike for a month or so it took a long time to start.
Sometimes after a whirring electric noise, (fuel pump?) it would start, run for 20 yds or so and then stop.
Mostly, after hearing the noise of the fuel pump it started, but would not run and often when turning over and when the noise was not present it would not start. It struggled to rev when it did start, missing and not able to reach 4000 revs.
Eventually I left it, frustrated.

Any ideas?
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Re: Starts intermittently won't run

Post by jfslater98 »

paulro wrote:.it took a long time to start..
Battery is my first guess. Bad stick coils can also result in this behavior. But...

You should probably provide a bit more background on your ride: year, miles ridden, any recent work, etc. Further searching on this site may reveal an answer as well. Let us know what the story is on your R, folks here can be very helpful.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
paulro
Basic User

Post by paulro »

OK good thinking.
04' 26k BMW history.
I have had it for 3 months but because of poor weather and not much time have not ridden it. I also found it difficult to be comfortable because of the seat height. Anyway that is sorted now.
The battery has been on an optimiser, not all of the time. So, your immediate thought might well be the correct one.
I tried it again today and found that the noise coming from the fuel pump is not happening. Yesterday it only started after I heard this noise. When it couldn't be heard it didn't start and was nowhere near starting.
I looked at the cable tie issue and I think they are still tied with the cable ties and tightly too.
I did try with the ignition on, moving the bars in the hope that in different positions the fuel pump would whirr but no.
Tomorrow I will check the side stand electrics and the kill switch.
Do you think I am on the right track so far?
I guess the easy alternative will be to ring the main dealer and ask them to collect it.
Yesterday it went for 20yds or so on the flat and leaving the drive the road dips a bit and always there, turning left did it cut out. It did start in this position but would not go, perhaps as if the side stand was down?
I await any help and thanks so far.
owldaddy
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by owldaddy »

If it does start, but not run well it could be bad gas in the tank. Since you say it has sat for a long period of time. Sounds like you have an issue with the wire ties as well, since it seems to cut off when the bars are moved to the left. Cut those darn ties at least. I can't tell you how grateful I am to this board for that one piece of advice. I cut mine when the bike only had a few miles on it and have not had the problems associated with the ties.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.