Do Wind Deflectors Work?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Do Wind Deflectors Work?

Post by Xdot »

I'd like a windscreen but have been unhappy with the intense buffeting I'm getting behind them. Too loud! But I already have a BMW sport windscreen that came with the bike and a Cee Bailey's I picked up cheap on eBay.

I've seen a few wind deflectors that mount at the top of a windscreen that are supposed to help smooth some of this out. Here's an example at Wunderlich. http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 10025.html I've seen them in other places as well.

Has anyone tried one of these and do they work reasonably well?

Thanks.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Re: Do Wind Deflectors Work?

Post by bimrluvr »

I use a Laminar Lip with my OEM sport screen. It's Velcro'd on and I definitely notice a difference between on and off. As far as whether it'll actually lift the wind flow over you, I can't say. Depends how tall you are...but it does seems to raise the height of heavy windflow by several inches.
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
R1150Rclean
Basic User

Post by R1150Rclean »

See my post today for a German company with a cool fairing that has an adjustable screen!
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Stay away from anything that clamps onto the sides or top of an existing screen, as the screen is already being affected by the wind pressure in that area. You don't want to have the screen break off and the contraption smack you right on the kisser.

Example: A few years back I gave my brother a K75 with a tall screen, he trailered it home behind small Toyota pick up with a topper, I suggested removing the screen as it came over the top of the pick-up topper, he said it would be OK.....at the first gas stop he discovered that ~ 4" of the screen had broken clean off.....it was the portion of the screen exposed to the laminar flow across the top of the camper....he called me immediately to tell me about it......

Suggest you try a piece of moldable automotive rubber trim, the one with he center channel that can be fitted to the screen (it is fairly inexpensive), across the sides and top of the existing screen.....what it does is turn up the air and hopefully provide enough vertical height to clear your helmet.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Zamp
Basic User

Post by Zamp »

I have had the stock BMW sport shield with Laminar Lip. It looks and works pretty good, and I would be interested in selling it.. Before that I had a Cee Baily sport shield. Decent wind protection but some buffeting.. Last year I purchased a Aeroflow. It's the size bellow their full touring.. No buffeting, and great wind protection.. The owner is very helpful and knows his stuff.. Good luck..
Zamp
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

I have the little Wunderlich piece your talking about, bought used off a guy on Advrider, didnt cost much, thats why I was willing to try it. I have to say that it does help with the frontal wind in some small way, I have gotten used to it, and other people think its Kool. There is really a lot of engineering in this thing, it is multi adjustable like a lot of different ways, and loosens and locks with a common allen wrench. I was going to buy a laminar lip, when this popped up for sale, same basic idea, but over engineered like most German stuff. I like it, and dont plan to part with any time soon, although I admit a Laminar Lip would probably work much better, I got the Koolest LIp Farkle around.
morrie
Basic User

Post by morrie »

Zamp wrote:I have had the stock BMW sport shield with Laminar Lip. It looks and works pretty good, and I would be interested in selling it.. Before that I had a Cee Baily sport shield. Decent wind protection but some buffeting.. Last year I purchased a Aeroflow. It's the size bellow their full touring.. No buffeting, and great wind protection.. The owner is very helpful and knows his stuff.. Good luck..
Zamp
Zamp is absolutely right. I tried four different setups on my bike before I got the Aeroflow. Now the buffeting is gone and it's silky smooth behind the fairing. FWIW..Before I got the Aeroflow fairing, I put the Aeroflow tank wings on with a Parabellum Scout screen and it was a dramatic improvement. I got the full Aeroflow fairing after I broke the Parabellum. The tank wings are the key to the solution. I wouldn't wait too long if you are planning to get the Aeroflow fairing. I talked with Paige Ortiz a few weeks ago and he told me he had four sets of brackets left. When those are gone, he plans to discontinue the fairing kit. The plastic will still be available for the fairing and tank wings, but without the brackets you wouldn't be able to mount a new fairing.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

morrie, zamp, rockstercliff, GREAT info. I was sort of thinking about the Parabellum Scout. Can you tell me how it compares to the Aeroflow? I prefer the look of the Scout but I'm really more interested in cool weather riding and quieting things down during long rides. Around town the naked bike is great but I'm hoping to take the RR on some excursions and don't want to be deaf when I get back home! Even with earplugs.

Which Aeroflow did you guys get? There is a touring half-fairing and a sport half-fairing. Did you get the lower half clear or smoke? Do you wish you'd done different. Have you noticed an improvement in gas mileage? Thanks so much for the information. It is an expensive investment and I like to collect as much information as I can.

-jb
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
morrie
Basic User

Post by morrie »

Xdot wrote:morrie, zamp, rockstercliff, GREAT info. I was sort of thinking about the Parabellum Scout. Can you tell me how it compares to the Aeroflow? I prefer the look of the Scout but I'm really more interested in cool weather riding and quieting things down during long rides. Around town the naked bike is great but I'm hoping to take the RR on some excursions and don't want to be deaf when I get back home! Even with earplugs.

Which Aeroflow did you guys get? There is a touring half-fairing and a sport half-fairing. Did you get the lower half clear or smoke? Do you wish you'd done different. Have you noticed an improvement in gas mileage? Thanks so much for the information. It is an expensive investment and I like to collect as much information as I can.

-jb
JB,

The Parabellum Scout buffeted like all my screens did until I added the Aeroflow tank wings. That dramatically reduced buffeting. I also like the looks of the Scout. I was pretty satisfied with that setup, but as I mentioned I broke the Parabellum. Then I bought the Aeroflow touring fairing with the smoke bottom and clear top. Buffeting is nearly non existent now and It is so smooth that I found myself riding faster without realizing it. It also gives good weather protection. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on pictures of the Aeroflow fairing if you haven't seen one installed. It has attractive, rounded lines and in my opinion looks very good mounted on the R. The brackets and plastic are all of high quality. The tank wings are a critical element in the system. They catch the dirty air that comes over the oil coolers, and divert it to the side. Otherwise, it would come up the back of the shield and hit your chest and helmet, causing buffeting. That's why adding extensions like Laminar Lips and such are really not addressing the source of buffeting. The Aeroflow shield and tank wings have given me virtually all the elements of a touring bike, while retaining the light feel and nimble qualities of the R.
mcollect
Lifer

Post by mcollect »

I also have the Parabellum and without the wings it was terrible, with the wings I couldn't be happier. For summer I have a short shield and for the cooler months a tall one that I bought and cut it down so I could just see above it.
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

Hmm? Sounds as if the tank wings make a huge difference. I've got a Cee Bailey's windscreen that buffets my head like taking taking hooks from Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. I was going to sell it on eBay. Maybe I should try it with tank wings?

Either way, could any of you guys with the Parabellum or Aeroflow post or send me a pic of your bike with the windshield installed. Looks aren't everything but... You know. PM me if convenient.

-John, Huntsville, AL
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
jeeves
Basic User

Post by jeeves »

New to the forum. Joined because I'm considering getting a '04 R 1150 R. I will be (hopefully) using it for the bulk of the 800 miles a week commute I have between work, school and home. I'm wondering if you guys (and ladies) would recommend getting some type of fairing/extension (I had found AeroFlow before reading this, and now really like it) before logging that kind of miles on my new baby. (I'm drooling over the bike. Its only a matter of time before the more stingy side of my brain catches up with the rest of me and gives in)

jeeves
Who is John Galt?
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

Buy the bike. You won't be sorry that you did!

As far as fairings are concerned, I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set of tankwings and see if they improve the performance of the Cee Bailey's windscreen I have right now. If not, I'm going to sell my current fairings and save my pennies for a Parabellum Scout. I just love the look on this bike. At the very least though I'll go with the other Parabellum fairing. Performance will probably be the same as the Scout for less than 1/2 the money.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

The Aeroflow Sport Half-Fairing was the ideal screen for me at 5' 7" but with a longer than average torso (offset by short legs). YMMV. Not sure if they're still made for the R1150R but you may be able to find one used. The BMW Sport Screen I had worked reasonably well but the Aeroflow was nearly perfect. It's also very well constructed and a much easier mount than the BMW shields.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi