Front fender replacement

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

duegi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Front fender replacement

Post by duegi »

What other model front fenders will fit on a '04 R1150R? I'm not crazy about the beak and the oil coolers get plenty of air flow. It seems like the beak kicks more wind onto one's chest when riding then a typical fender does. I thought I read a thread that mentioned the RS fender would fit on the R's?
Brett
May your friction coefficient always be constant...
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Re: Front fender replacement

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

http://www.whaccessories.com/BMWAccessories.htm

This website has a pretty good looking front fender.
Bryan
2010 R1200R
rivi7777
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by rivi7777 »

I changed my beak out with another beak of sorts - that from a R1150RS with the added fork leg pieces...

It is a direct bolt on. The inner portion or mudguard is that of a K1200LT.

AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Are those carbon fibre fork sliders? Or is that all part of the front fender?
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

Those are carbon fiber fork leg covers/protectors that a friend made for me.

I had my fork legs powder coated black then added the covers/protectors...

Available here: http://www.parecomposites.com/
duegi
Lifer

Post by duegi »

So a rockster or R1150S front fender won't work with the R1150R forks is the impression I'm getting??? Is there anything else across the model line with a fender similar to the S or Rockster that will fit on the R?
Brett
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

duegi wrote:So a rockster or R1150S front fender won't work with the R1150R forks is the impression I'm getting??? Is there anything else across the model line with a fender similar to the S or Rockster that will fit on the R?
Right. The r11s and rockster fenders will not fit on an r1150r, but are nearly interchangeable with each other (1100s fender fits on a rockster mostly, with a little play, i believe).
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

Is there anything else across the model line with a fender similar to the S or Rockster that will fit on the R?
The front fender from the K12RS will also bolt right on...

There should be some images on this site as I recall seeing them.
brownj
Lifer

Post by brownj »

I changed mine in 2003 or so. I think its a K12000S (or RS?) Picture are lo-res - sorry.

<<Edit>>Took a better pic.

duegi
Lifer

Post by duegi »

Most excellent, I've got one coming as we exchange info. It's off an '04 K12RS and just happens to match what's on your R bike, thanks for the pics as you confirm what I was expecting the bike to look like with the alternate fender. What did you use for the rear 1/2? The existing R fender that was on the moto?
Brett
brownj
Lifer

Post by brownj »

Yes - the rear half is stock. You are left with a cast cross bracket when you take the beak off. As you can see in the upper photo, I used to have a little plate attached to it (expressing my incredibly wise and insightful political views) That has since been deleted and only the cast bracket remains. (bottom pic)
mangoman46
Basic User

Post by mangoman46 »

So I now have a Black Fender from a 2004 K1200RS and it will fit, what I lack is the correct bolts to install it. does anyone know what I need? The existing beak bolts are of no help.

Thanks in Advance
duegi
Lifer

Post by duegi »

I'm fairly sure if you take one of the beak mounting bolts they should fit into the mounting points for the K bike fender. I don't remember the lengths off the top of my head but you'd find what you need at any hardware store. I'd recommend something out of stainless steel. Perhaps a washer under the head of the bolt to spread the load on the fender mounting point. Maybe some blue loc-tite to ease your mind about the bolts coming loose.
Brett
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

duegi wrote:I'm fairly sure if you take one of the beak mounting bolts they should fit into the mounting points for the K bike fender. I don't remember the lengths off the top of my head but you'd find what you need at any hardware store. I'd recommend something out of stainless steel. Perhaps a washer under the head of the bolt to spread the load on the fender mounting point. Maybe some blue loc-tite to ease your mind about the bolts coming loose.
If you're screwing stainless into aluminum or vice-versa I'd use some anti-sieze compound to prevent galvanic corrosion. Don't know if it is entirely necessary but it's always better to be safe than sorry when joining dissimilar metals.

I like the K12RS replacement fender as well. The beak matches the lines better but still not my favorite.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

rivi7777 wrote:The inner portion or mudguard is that of a K1200LT.
What year? Is it a direct bolt-on as well? I like the extended rear fender. Think it might help control water a little better. Have you noticed that it helps or do you just like the look?
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
arkwright
Basic User

Post by arkwright »

Just done the swap with a k1200rs mudguard. The beak's bolts are quite long and go through some mounts that are a cast part of the front forks. Did you hacksaw those off?