Replacement rotors

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sunbeemer1
Basic User

Replacement rotors

Post by sunbeemer1 »

I need to replace the front rotors on my 2002 R1150R. Any feedback on STX vs. ABM Peak rotors will be helpful, or brands that I might not be aware of that are less expensive or hold up better.
Thanks.

Wayne Reiss
Wayne Reiss
New Jersey
1988 R100GS
2002 R1150R
2007 K1200R Sport
1962 R69S awaiting assembly
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Replacement rotors

Post by boxermania »

Wayne

Motorcycle rotors by definition are expensive items. I never had the need to replace rotors on any of my last 8 bikes, but have done so in the cars I owned.

The BMW are expensive I think around $300/each the last time I checked. Then we have Brembos and Galfer waves ($$$$), Voyodyne racing ($$$), STX and EBC (about the same cost). Personally, I have used the EBC rotors (in autos) and pads (both autos and bikes) quite sucesfully.

I would check with beemerboneyard and or A&S cycles to see what they offer. Good luck.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
dmk
Donating Member #: 0

Post by dmk »

I just saw some used ones on ebay yesterday... not sure what shape their in, but were pretty cheap. I'd post the url, but not sure how.
Dan
04 Silver 1150R
BigJohn
Basic User

Post by BigJohn »

I would recommend Motobins in the UK. They sell quality replacement rotors (Grimeca, Italian OEM) for less than half of what you will pay in the US. I bought a pair for my GS and they cost me less than one US sourced rotor SHIPPED. Plus, they were here in less than a week! They will ship anywhere in the world and it's not that much. They sell many oilhead parts and many are the genuine BMW items for less than you will get them here. http://www.motobins.co.uk
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Grimeca are a very good choice. Another option would be discs from Lucas (http://www.trwmoto.com/index.cfm/CFID/3 ... nfo/mrid/4) together with sinter-brakepads from Lucas. Half the price of the BMW stuff and way better than original. In a comparative test made by our leading motorcycle journal the Lucas brake pads were the best.

I have this stuff on my oilhead and I am very very happy.

Brgds
Oliver
jcridge
Lifer
Donating Member #: 876

Post by jcridge »

Wayne,
I recently replaced my rear rotor with a Braking STX rotor. Very nice... highly recommend them. $143.00 from Motorcycle Superstore. My rear brake pads came apart a week after attending an ERC, so this is the first street motorcycle rotor I've ever had to replace on my own bike. I used a new set of semi-organic pads to brake-in the rotor, and the pads are working so well I might just keep using them.

I will use Braking if and when I need front rotors. I would not recommend used rotors, once scored they tend to go through pads faster then if they were new, and if you don't know the history of the rotor, well you get the picture.

John
sunbeemer1
Basic User

Post by sunbeemer1 »

John, Thanks for sharing your experience with STX. I have it narrowed down between them and the German ones Beemer Boneyard sels for about $40.00 more each. i too have never replaced a rotor in over 200K of riding. I think I bent one during a tire change, don't want to replace just the one, and don't need the risk of buying used.
Wayne Reiss
New Jersey
1988 R100GS
2002 R1150R
2007 K1200R Sport
RBrider
Basic User

Post by RBrider »

I just recently replaced the front rotors on my '04 Rockster with EBC Pro Lites from Motorcycle Superstore for $143.00 each, including freight.

They were recommended by someone on another forum that used them on his RI endurance racer.

I'd recommend both EBC and Motorcycle Superstore, based on my experience so far. Better replace the pads while you're at it.

Good luck.

RB
sunbeemer1
Basic User

Post by sunbeemer1 »

Thats funny, I tried to order EBC Pro lites from Motorcycle Superstore and they come up as unavailable, then I went to EBC's website and couldn't find a match in their catalog. I am guessing they are discontinued. When did you buy them?
Wayne Reiss
New Jersey
1988 R100GS
2002 R1150R
2007 K1200R Sport