New 1150 owner - winterizing help please

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

GTC
Basic User

New 1150 owner - winterizing help please

Post by GTC »

Just bought an '04 1150, have never ridden anything newer than my '72 75/5 and after riding the '04 I may never get back on the '72. But it's nearly the end of the season here and I will need to put her up for the winter. I am familiar with old bikes: change the oil, pull the battery and add Stabil to a full gas tank is generally good enough. But with a much more complicated machine I am reading posts here and learning a little. Any specific recommendations for winterizing steps would be appreciated. Also I will need to get a service manual - suggestions there would also be welcome.

Thanks, George
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: New 1150 owner - winterizing help please

Post by boxermania »

Welcome aboard.......you have everything pretty much covered.

Removing the battery might prove to be a chore, however, you can eliminate that step by attaching the trickle charger to the auxiliary power outlet (with the right adapter) or by removing the starter plastic cover (both found on left side of the engine) and clamping onto the heavy wire on the starter (+ to the battery) and anywhere else on the engine with a good ground.

Once you become familiar with the bike, it might be wise to run wires from the +/- poles on the battery to an accessible place for the trickle charger.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Where is "here"? We typically don't winterize, but ride monthly as there are few snow days. But for those cursed with season ending snow cover, I realize it is different.

BM is correct...
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

George,
PM me a good snail mail address and I'll send you that manual. I no longer have a R1150R and I don't need it.

*It's a disk...not a book. I sold my book manuals.
marsdog
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by marsdog »

boxermania wrote:Welcome aboard.......you have everything pretty much covered.

Removing the battery might prove to be a chore, however, you can eliminate that step by attaching the trickle charger to the auxiliary power outlet (with the right adapter) or by removing the starter plastic cover (both found on left side of the engine) and clamping onto the heavy wire on the starter (+ to the battery) and anywhere else on the engine with a good ground.

Once you become familiar with the bike, it might be wise to run wires from the +/- poles on the battery to an accessible place for the trickle charger.
Maybe I'm wrong, but don't many Battery Tenders/Trickle Chargers have an Aux Power plug, which when used with the BMW adapter, you can just plug directly into the bikes Aux Power Outlet?