First Bike Accident.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Alpineswift
Basic User

First Bike Accident.

Post by Alpineswift »

I know what you're thinking. "Already?" Yeah, I'm still shaking my head too wondering why this poo happened.

Had an incident while riding today that caused me to need the bike towed to Foothills BMW. All I have to say is people suck at driving. Was behind some lady in a hyundai merging with traffic coming off the highway. She began to merge (long yield merge lane) so I looked to find my gap and started rolling. Looked forward and she was stopped full lock in the middle of the lane. Long story short I rear ended her at a little under 5 mph and laid the bike down. No damage to her car. No damage to me. Bike is a different story...

Cracked front wheel fairing and a slightly scraped magnesium engine cover. Fairly cheap fixes to put it back to new condition again so I'm not overly worried about it in that respect. However, the clutch has no line pressure and that is why its at the shop. Tech tells me it either needs to be bled because there is air in the line or the cable needs to be replaced. Should be ready to roll again by some time tomorrow.

I have to really thank Foothills BMW for coming out to pick my baby up and get it back to the shop in the middle of rush hour free of charge. Really says a lot about the quality of people running that operation. Is this gonna stop me from riding? Hell no. I will count my blessings if this is the worst accident while riding I ever have to experience in my life. Fortunately for me I walked away and the bike is fine other than what I have mentioned that needs to be done. I chalk it up as a learning experience.

Keep your heads on a swivel regardless of whether you ride or drive. You never know when someone is gonna pull some dumb poo like this.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I think my DROID probably saved my left leg from the handle bar doing any damage. Broke the screen by being in my left front pocket when I went down but it prevented the bar from digging into my leg. Lucky is what I call it.
2003 BMW R1150R Piemont Red Metallic
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Re: First Bike Accident.

Post by AirForceDirt »

Good thing it was a slow speed thing and someone behind you didn't do the same thing you did. Repairing the bike is only money, repairing the body is much more than that.

I remember foothills from when I used to live In Aurora, and the multiple times we'd go up there from the Springs after we moved south. They are much better than the Colorado Springs BMW dealer that recently went in the toilet. Glad to hear they are helping you out.
hank
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by hank »

Alpineswift wrote:
Tech tells me it either needs to be bled because there is air in the line or the cable needs to be replaced.

Really says a lot about the quality of people running that operation.

I'm assuming you were on the R1150R, if so there is no cable.
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Glad things were not worse than you describe. Far too many cagers don't know how to drive so yes you have to be very careful around them. Good Luck!
2004 R1150RS
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

While is really is not a cable it is referred to as a cable on the BMW parts fiche.
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_cat ... =21+Clutch

And it aint cheep!
2004 R1150R
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

MoonBeemer wrote:While is really is not a cable it is referred to as a cable on the BMW parts fiche.
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_cat ... =21+Clutch

And it aint cheep!
OK, fair enough, I got it wrong. Sorry for going a bit off topic. You have probably guessed I am not a fan of dealers. I had a real bad time trying to buy a bike from the local Beemer dealer who didn't want to sell a bike without me taking out a finance package and shoddy servicing from Ford.

What I should have said to Alpineswift in my first post is that I am sorry to hear of his accident and thankfully he is uninjured. Hope you are back on the bike soon.

It's a dangerous world out ther take care and ride safe.

Hank.
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

I am no fan of dealers either Hank. Especially Foothills BMW that Alpineswift speaks of. I purchased my used R1150R from Foothills and they had just completed the 12000 mile service, and I reviewed the documentation with their service department. It had been a long time since I owned a motorcycle and I had never owned a boxer twin, so I did not really know how she should be running. After about 10 days, I just could not believe the bike should be such a dog and I check the valve clearances myself. There was not one valve set even close to the factory specs. The same with the TB. I say all this to say that doing your own maintenance is very important. Often the dealers rush through jobs and get things just close enough. Dealers are there to make money, often they do not love our motorcycles the way we do. Or maybe I am a bit foolish to like my Beemer as I do. I do not trust her to the dealers. Please do not take my previous post as negative Hank. I did not mean it that way. Keep the shinny side up.
2004 R1150R
Alpineswift
Basic User

Post by Alpineswift »

Alright guys, some good news after today, SHES BACK HOME! :mrgreen:

Got some air in the system so they flushed it and added new fluid. They also discovered that the rear pinion seal was leaking fluid (previous owner said to keep an eye on it so I knew it was coming) so I had them replace that as well.

The bad news, if you wanna see it that way:
-The front fender (mudguard) needs to be replaced eventually. I've already sent in a request to beemer boneyard hoping they will get back to me sometime in the not too distant future. I can run the one I have now, just looks bad when you're up close because its cracked in 2 or 3 places.
-The engine cover (magnesium) is very lightly scraped up so I'm gonna see if I can salvage it tomorrow. Possibly respray both of them. I don't feel like dumping money on a new one when its really not that bad at all.

I rode her home today and she feels even better than before with the new gear oil. I really have to thank Foothills for picking her up in the middle of rush hour and getting her fixed so quickly. I'm very thankful it wasn't worse than it was.

I'll post pics tomorrow of the damage. I think you'll be surprised at how little there really is.

Moonbeemer - I think I recognize your bike. How long ago did you purchase it?
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

I have had her about 6 months. I commute every day to work. Longest ride so far is about 200 miles. She is my 5th motorcycle. She is not as fast or powerful as the 750 3 cylinder two stroke I had previously and I am glad. That bike could have gotten me killed because I rode like an idiot and she was so powerful. Please do not take this as presumptuous of me, but before I bought MoonBeemer, I spent a lot of time reviewing many of the resources on the web page I post below
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?sp ... me=Library
Several of the things I read here have saved me from making critical mistakes. I plan to take a hands on safety course this summer. MSF offers an advanced rider course that trusted members of my club say is well worth the money. I am not familiar with the Denver BMW club, but I would consider joining them. Our club has our own mechanic that for an amazingly reasonable rate helps us when we get to something that requires support. i would guess the Denver club would have something like this. He taught me to balance the throttle bodies for 15 bucks, compare that to what Foothills will charge. Note that I am new to Beemers, so really know nothing, except I really enjoy owning and riding her. Take care, all the best, Roger
2004 R1150R
R1150Rclean
Basic User

Post by R1150Rclean »

1) You should have been able to stop using the front brake and not hit the car. PRACTICE emergency stops in an empty parking lot ASAP!!! IF your rear brake is easy to lock up replace the pads and lube everything the pads slide on with anti-seize grease (beemerboneyard.com rear pads are working great for me).

2) NEVER assume what a car/driver will do/is going to do. I assume they can not see me and could pull in front of me/cut me off, rear end me, or stop in front of me at any time.
Alpineswift
Basic User

Post by Alpineswift »

MoonBeemer wrote:I have had her about 6 months. I commute every day to work. Longest ride so far is about 200 miles. She is my 5th motorcycle. She is not as fast or powerful as the 750 3 cylinder two stroke I had previously and I am glad. That bike could have gotten me killed because I rode like an idiot and she was so powerful. Please do not take this as presumptuous of me, but before I bought MoonBeemer, I spent a lot of time reviewing many of the resources on the web page I post below
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?sp ... me=Library
Several of the things I read here have saved me from making critical mistakes. I plan to take a hands on safety course this summer. MSF offers an advanced rider course that trusted members of my club say is well worth the money. I am not familiar with the Denver BMW club, but I would consider joining them. Our club has our own mechanic that for an amazingly reasonable rate helps us when we get to something that requires support. i would guess the Denver club would have something like this. He taught me to balance the throttle bodies for 15 bucks, compare that to what Foothills will charge. Note that I am new to Beemers, so really know nothing, except I really enjoy owning and riding her. Take care, all the best, Roger
I've already taken the MSF Course through ABATE. I've been riding for many years in the dirt and about 2 now on the street so its not like I wasn't thoroughly prepared before I bought the bike.

R1150Rclean,
You weren't in my shoes and have no hoot right to talk down to me. So before you decide to play a father role over someone because they made a mistake like I did, pull your head out of your ass and stop acting like you are flawless.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I forgot to snap one of the valve cover before I sprayed over them both so you'll just have to trust me when I say they weren't really terrible but they were still noticeable.

I'd say it turned out pretty well.

(Yeah, I know, seats need to be redone.)
R1150Rclean
Basic User

Post by R1150Rclean »

Alpineswift,
I was giving you advice that if you followed it may actually help prevent a similar accident. And do you remember SEE from the course?, you were not practicing it, so now I am acting like your instructor-sue me. That was an easy accident to avoid, the tough ones to avoid are the ones that many riders to do not walk away from.
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

Well she does not look too bad. Still a good looking machine. I am glad you were not hurt. Take care. Roger
2004 R1150R
Alpineswift
Basic User

Post by Alpineswift »

R1150Rclean wrote:Alpineswift,
I was giving you advice that if you followed it may actually help prevent a similar accident. And do you remember SEE from the course?, you were not practicing it, so now I am acting like your instructor-sue me. That was an easy accident to avoid, the tough ones to avoid are the ones that many riders to do not walk away from.
I don't want your advice. I've got enough people around me with well over 25-30 years of riding experience that I can rely on for help or advice if I need it. I've still got all my training manuals that I reviewed that night following the accident. I know how it could have been avoided. The plain and simple fact is that it was my mistake and I learned from it the hard way and I've moved on. Don't make me go through thinking about this poo again. That's the worst hoot thing you can do right now.
Alpineswift
Basic User

Post by Alpineswift »

MoonBeemer wrote:Well she does not look too bad. Still a good looking machine. I am glad you were not hurt. Take care. Roger
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I think the black enamel makes the cylinders pop a little better. I'll probably replace them down the road but for now this is fine.

If you haven't already, drop by cosportbikeclub.org. Good group of guys that like to ride locally.
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

Thanks for the invite. I just realized that you valve covers are black now. My entire driveline is blacked out.
2004 R1150R
Alpineswift
Basic User

Post by Alpineswift »

MoonBeemer wrote:Thanks for the invite. I just realized that you valve covers are black now. My entire driveline is blacked out.
Yeah that's what I was trying to point out, how I managed to salvage the stock covers.
Really? Interesting. I've never seen one with black underneath. I've seen posts on here for the valve covers but never the entire driveline. Very shnazy. Can you post bigger pics?
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

R1150Rclean wrote:1) You should have been able to stop using the front brake and not hit the car. PRACTICE emergency stops in an empty parking lot ASAP!!! IF your rear brake is easy to lock up replace the pads and lube everything the pads slide on with anti-seize grease (beemerboneyard.com rear pads are working great for me).

2) NEVER assume what a car/driver will do/is going to do. I assume they can not see me and could pull in front of me/cut me off, rear end me, or stop in front of me at any time.

I bow at the feet of the Supreme Rider. Oh great one we are not worthy. You are such a super rider that you will never have an accident. You will never make be distracted or make a mistake. Get real.

Hank.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Let's try to not turn this into a pissing match. We have new members and an aggressive welcome such as this isn't the way to keep new members.
2004 R1150RS
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Alpineswift - Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident and thank you for sharing the details with others. It’s great to hear that you escaped unscathed and have walked away with something beyond your physical wellbeing.

Riding season for many is just around the corner and it’s good to start rebuilding the “situational awareness”.

R1150Rclean – I appreciate your suggestions for handling similar situations should others find it necessary to deploy, it’s a good reminder to all.

Chibbert - Good point.

Think of this board as a great place to share, learn and contribute to all that use it.
2004 Roc.