Revamped Exhaust

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

brownj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Revamped Exhaust

Post by brownj »

Sorry for yet one more posting on full cases & muffler mod's, but I was unhappy with the bikes look after removing the muffler. My crappy looking home made full case bracket didn't help either. Some of your postings & Eduardo's pictures got me thinking about a different approach. Someone had mentioned Summit Racing for exhaust tips - while wandering around their site I found a small muffler for cheap. Bought it, cut a wedge out of the end, bent, welded & painted. Attached with a clamp from the local HD dealer and a home made bracket. Then the case got a bracket made of angle aluminum. It's cleaner looking with no extra bracket.

Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Revamped Exhaust

Post by Buckster »

Nice. How much did it cost? How does it sound? I would clean up the pipe that comes from the cat to make it look better yet.
Buckster '03R
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

What front fender is that? R1100RS?
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I like! Minimalist art at a bargain price. Ever think about chrome plating?
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
brownj
Lifer

Post by brownj »

Thanks Buckster. The muffler is $15.95 @ http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-A3009S/ I think the clamp was around the same price. Sound isn't much different from running no muffler at all - just a bit quieter. The biggest change is when you're next to anything, vehicle, wall, in a garage, etc it sounds different. I can't describe it, but I like it.

You're right about the cat pipe, but being the slacker that I am I, not sure when I will clean it. An option, on this thread:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ffler.html
a guy named '88-diamondblue' found that using clear VHT paint will give you a bronze color that looks similar to the r1150r cat. (after baking)

@ Xdot - the front fender is from a K1200RS and no mods are needed to install but not sure if the R1100RS uses the same one.

@ sjbmw - Chrome would be really nice, but that conflicts with my inherent cheapness. Not sure I could overcome that mental hurdle.

Jon
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

Nice fairing you have. Do you got a link to this?
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

That's the BMW speedster flyscreen that's been painted black on the inside. I have the same one and did the same to mine.
Buckster '03R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Buckster wrote:That's the BMW speedster flyscreen that's been painted black on the inside. I have the same one and did the same to mine.

awesome. clicked and saw it was an old thread, and saw that pic..thanks for answering buckster. i LIKE that small screen. A LOT. just not in clear. It looks pretty nice with the handguards.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.