Rattles, ticks an odd whining noise and poor fuel use.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Rattles, ticks an odd whining noise and poor fuel use.

Post by Soliton »

I love my bike but as time has gone by I have been able to start to see/hear some of the funny little clunking /ticking noises that suggest things may need looking at. I think I know what they are but I am keen to see if I am addressing the right sorts of things.

Issue 1 - Rattley "diesel" sort of noise at start up and when cold.
Proposed Solution - Replace the clutch side timing chain tensioner with the new model , and ensure proper adjustment of valves and rocker end play.

Issue 2 - Ticking sound (throttle side). I put the blade of a screw driver up against the throttle body (TB) and held it to my ear and it has a pronounced clatter that is absent from the opposite side TB.
Proposed Solution - Rebuild the TB (both shaft and bushing) using the kit from Bing.

Alas I have no real idea about these last 2

Issue 3 - A high pitched electrical whine. It sounds a bit like the whine you hear when the turn the ignition on but before you hit the starter. It used to be intermittent but it is now becoming pretty regular. My son who is ten can hear it from across the yard and proclaims that it comes from "inside the fuel tank" He put his ear on the tank to listen.

Issue 4 - Appalling fuel economy
I ride very conservatively but the bike is returning about 6.3l/100km This is not city driving but over a 70/30 city country mix.
I have done some things which will adversely effect the economy but I wouldn't have thought to this degree and really I'm not sure if they are the culprits.e.g.
  • Replaced the cat with a Remus Y-Pipe
    Neptune Muffler
    Techlusion - only a tiny bit of fuel being added at idle
My reading is that I should be getting 4.5 - 5.5l/100km. If I am having a lend of myself please tell me and I will let go of the fuel obsession. (would an old or damaged O2 sensor futz with the economy?)

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
"Better to live rich than die rich."
baltm604
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rattles, ticks an odd whining noise and poor fuel use.

Post by baltm604 »

A random guess at #3 would be an issue with the fuel pump. It is inside tank with the filter. May also explain bad fuel economy...

ba
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

You forgot to say what year and mileage bike.

#1, yes definitely replace the left side tensioner if that hasn't been done already.

#2, my '02 R1150R did that too, it was the right side throttle body butterfly at idle. It would go away when revved up. I was told the TB throat was worn and I should replace the throttle body but I never got around to it as the bike ran fine. It could be contributing to poor mileage but overall probably not a real big deal.

#3, sounds like fuel pump alright. Mine also made a distinct whine when turning ignition on. Probably normal. Fuel filter might need changed?

#4, My R1150R was never all that great on fuel economy either. Especially with the Techlusion, when I installed mine I noticed a drop in MPG.
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Re: #3: I'd be looking around for a fuel leak. The fuel pump usually runs for a "few seconds" after switching on, but before starting. Once fuel pressure is high enough, it switches off. If it's running constantly, that implies that pressure is being lost somewhere. Could also be a worn pump (Have you run the tank dry at any point?) but the low milage suggests a small leak.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Re: the throttle bodies. Check out my thread on the issue (last post about 4 pages back on June 13th) on the subject.

The Bing rebuild will work if the bushings are not worn. If they are, BMW's answer is a new throttle body. Very expensive. However, there are options now available to replace the bushings also and save a bunch.

Don't buy a new throttle body if you don't have to!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

wncbmw wrote:Re: the throttle bodies. Check out my thread on the issue (last post about 4 pages back on June 13th) on the subject.
That was a very helpful thread, Vann. It's here for those who missed it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22810
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Soliton, did you ever sort out the fuel pump whine? What was the fix?

My new (to me) Rockster is doing the same, fuel pump constantly running. I've just replaced the filter, but it's still doing it.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life