Fuel smell after removing canister

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

slowtorque
Lifer

Fuel smell after removing canister

Post by slowtorque »

I got tired of looking at the thing hanging off the back of the subframe and decided to remove it. I ended up capping the vacuum lines at the throttle bodies and tying the two lines from the fuel tank together. I do now notice a fuel smell at times and understand that many do not post-removal. I wonder if perhaps I have missed something here in the process. How does the tank vent now that I have tied the lines together? Bike runs very well. May have a drop in mpg unless I am imagining this. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
MattPie
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fuel smell after removing canister

Post by MattPie »

The reason for having the canister was to filter the gas smell coming out of the vent, so I'd say that's the price you pay.
Go Sabres!
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

Methinks I may have erred by tying the ends of the two vent lines together effectively leaving only the tank cap vent. If I am re-reading the instructions correctly, both of the lines leaving the tank should be open to atmosphere and exit near the battery vent line. So, I need to remedy this, no? As far as the gas smell, a slight odor is not an issue as I have a shop full of unfiltered fuel tanks on various pieces of equipment. I do not keep any fueled equipment or fuel in an attached garage (bad idea, I think, yet convenient).
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

You should let both of those vent lines drain since one of them vents in-tank pressure and the other drains water that collects around the filler neck. Connecting them together will put that water in your tank.
Rich
ADIOS!
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

Plumbing has been corrected. Fuel smell has disappeared. Thanks :P
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE