Different peg lowering method

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

macx
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Different peg lowering method

Post by macx »

Not long after I got my 04 1150R in summer of 08 and started researching it,
I realized that for my old bad knees the pegs were a little too high and to the rear.

Always seeming to end up "walking the other side of the street", and in this
case resisting digging out so many long green rectangles for a couple small pieces
of metal that seemed to cost more than the results justified, I put on my researcher
beanie and went to work.

Long story short, I took a look at other boxer 1150 models as a first thought, and
saw that the pegs on the R1150GS seemed to be significantly lower and farther
forward than on the roadster and, being the bike uses the same basic engine/trans
architecture, thought there might be some possibilities.

After taking some close looks at close up photos I found on the net and decided
it appeared that the GS peg mount plates attached to the bike at the same points,
I inquired with the helpful gent at Beemer Boneyard about the possibility of swapping
those GS plates and pegs onto my roadster, and what if anything else I'd need to do
if it was possible.

He advised me the GS shifter linkage and brake pedal and linkage would work,
thereby keeping the stock shifter/brake pedal relationship to the pegs, and that
I could use the roadster rear master cylinder if I used the different length plunger
from the GS. With luck, he had a complete setup he provided at a very reasonable
price.

I did have to rebend the rear brake line going to the rear master cylinder by hand,
while still attached so I avoided bleeding, but it just involved straightening out a couple
of the 90 degree bends a little. That's becuz the MC mounts to the rear of the GS footpeg
mount plate at a different angle than on the roadster.

I also had to massage the foot peg on the center stand a little to work with the GS pegs,
and it isn't "perfect" but has worked fine.

The end result was an approximate 2" down AND 2" forward relocation of the footpegs.
And it looks stock because it IS all stock BMW R1150 parts, AND the footpeg to shifter
and brake pedal relationship has remained stock by using all the GS parts.

I was entirely thrilled with the difference that made for my knees and legs and, coupled
with the most extreme bar backs I could find to reduce strain on my bad lower back,
has made the bike very much more comfortable

I've got a write-up and pics on my pc, but it's down while I'm replacing the motherboard
and associated components. If anyone is interested, email or message me and I'll send
the details & photos when I get it back together, which should be within a couple weeks
(I have to work this coming weekend). (I'm writing this from my wife's computer)

Cheers!

helpful gentleman at