Charging through auxiliary power adapter

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Charging through auxiliary power adapter

Post by racurley »

I read some instructions somewhere on this board about the proper method for using a Battery Tender through the auxiliary power adepter (powerlet). Something about once it goes into maintenance mode, you need to reset something because the bike turns off the adapter. I have searched for this but can't locate the instructions for the workaround. Can someone please point me to these or explain it again? Will put a direct connection to the battery when I get around to it.
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
herrdirektor
Basic User

Re: Charging through auxiliary power adapter

Post by herrdirektor »

Isn't this for can-bus motorbikes only ? The power socket (at least mine) remains powered.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I don't remember ever hearing or reading that. For a time I used the powerlet with my tender without issue. I later installed a pigtail straight to the battery. If it does indeed turn off the plug I'm sure cycling the ignition on and then off again would restore the power to the powerlet. The only other "reset" I've ever heard of is resetting the Motronic engine computer after any service that involved disconnecting the battery.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I've been using the accessory outlet to charge my '02 R since I got it, no issues about leaving it connected with a battery maintainer so far .
The only issue that I have had, is upon removing the plug fron the socket assembly, somehow I am causing a short and then a fuse melts, it also powers the clock, so if your clock stops, check the fuse, I think it's a 7 amp brown fuse .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Not all battery tenders are created equal when it comes to gel batteries.
The BT Jr. will cause problems. The BMW gel charger has not failed me yet.
If your accessory socket is not charging the battery, its bad and needs replacement. I shorted mine out at Hungry Mother a few years ago and needed a new one.

I have a shed, no garage. Shed has great southern exposure all day long. So, I made a solar battery tender. About half the price of a tender, and no power required, has pig tail and cigarette adapters so I can switch between the Beemer and the cb Honda.

Powerlet, solar panel, couple of screws

http://www.batterymart.com/p-50102-2_5- ... panel.html

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powe ... et-adapter
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

I have been using the power accessory outlet to trickle charge and power my electric clothing for 12 years with no issue. No reset necessary.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295