Externalizing the fuel filter

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Externalizing the fuel filter

Post by towerworker »

I have only done this once before but found it worth while. I've got 60K on my '04 R and had never changed the fuel filter. I had an '03 and removed the internal fuel filter, bypassed it with a piece of fuel line and installed an external fuel filter. I did the same today on my '04 with 60K on the original filter. (way overdue)

It's a pain in the ass to remove the tank, then remove the filter/pump assembly to simply replace the fuel filter. So again I today bought a standard $6 fuel filter from Advance Auto, 12" of fuel injection rated fuel line (about $6 per ft) and a pack of "fuel injection" type fuel line clamps. You DO NOT want the cheap standard screw type hose clamps.

I removed the internal filter and installed in it's place a short length of fuel line. Then installed the $6 filter outside the tank with a short length of line. So when it comes time again to change the fuel filter it will be maybe a 20 minute job.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Externalizing the fuel filter

Post by gregor »

My 02 hit 25,000 miles (yesterday). Thought I'd get the filter changed for the first time and all the ABS fluid (second time) as the tank needs to be lifted anyway. Booked in at the local dealer as I'm not confident with that area.
Good luck to you.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Gregor-

Servicing the ABS is next on the list. Could have done it yesterday when the tank was off but I'm too slow in my wrenching these days. Another weekend.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Thx. Tower.
Any pics? Where is the fuel filter now?
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

There's an xls file somewhere that shows how to do it, it's easy, but a pita, then it's done and voila! I think SweatMark posted it years back and it has all the detail and pictures you need. Thanks SweatMark.

I am shouting this:

YOU NEED TO USE GOOD FUEL INJECTION TUBING. ANYTHING ELSE WILL "MELT." It is expensive; if what you find is cheap, you have the wrong stuff. Also, the EXACT right size for the fuel injector clamps is mandatory...a sixteenth too big can cause problems. The clamps are ava at PepBoys; the FI hose at Napa, iirc.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

The filter is now just ahead of the QD's and just under the lip of the tank. I'll take a couple pics tomorrow and try to post them. Another thing---I used a physically small filter(smaller than OEM) so it most likely won't last as long as the original but it's a 15 min change out so I can live with that. And the Dr is right.......the right FI tubing is more expensive ....$6+ per ft. And it's heavier and has more reinforcement in the tubing walls. Don't scrimp on the tubing nor clamps.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

For hose inside the tank your talking $25-30 per foot. It has to be rated for constant immersion in gasoline.

Since you have to check the condition of the intank hoses periodically and for safety, I've left my filter in the tank.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I will admit that bit of information got by me. The fuel line I had on hand was what was left over from doing my last R. I will recheck that line spec (R10) and pull the tank if necessary. Thanks!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

towerworker wrote:I will admit that bit of information got by me. The fuel line I had on hand was what was left over from doing my last R. I will recheck that line spec (R10) and pull the tank if necessary. Thanks!
No problem, I learned the hard way. The dealer who I bought my bike from refreshed the hoses before selling it. He used non-submersible for the vent lines in the tank. They were mushy in a couple months.

I'm pretty sure the hose you used is non-submersible from the rating you gave.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Roger 04 rt wrote:
towerworker wrote:I will admit that bit of information got by me. The fuel line I had on hand was what was left over from doing my last R. I will recheck that line spec (R10) and pull the tank if necessary. Thanks!
No problem, I learned the hard way. The dealer who I bought my bike from refreshed the hoses before selling it. He used non-submersible for the vent lines in the tank. They were mushy in a couple months.

I'm pretty sure the hose you used is non-submersible from the rating you gave.
The R10 spec I quoted was from Anton Largaider (http://www.largiader.com/shop/) He responded to a post on ADVRider concerning the same. I'm pretty certain my fuel line used was not of that spec but still looking into it.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint