ABS system question (s)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vwdoctor
Basic User

Re: ABS system question (s)

Post by vwdoctor »

DONT CUT ANY WIRES if you decide to remove. youtube video is ok for the hydrauilic portion but there is no need to mess with the relays.
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

OK Doc, won't cut any wires. What is the method you're thinking to still trigger the brake light?

fwiw--I don't think the wheel sensors are the issue. This morning I headed to work. As usual ABS lamp flashes till I start moving. First time I hit either brake (I've tried both after stopping and cycling ignition) both lights start the 4hz flash routine. I think if it were a dirty wheel sensor it would not allow the system to pass it's self test after pulling off. I can also sit totally stopped and hit either brake hard and it will start it's failure routine. It's something internal to the pump I feel pretty certain. At first the system would erratically do it's failure thing. After my cleaning it's every time I hit the brake. Makes me wonder about my abilities. :(

On the other hand for several months now I had been noticing what I thought was more noise coming from the pump. Maybe it's been on it's way out. At any rate my bike will soon lose some weight. :lol:
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Towerworker,
here's a description of a servoectomy like Chris Harris did on Youtube,
but most important of all, a clear description of how to connect the wires to get the brake light working again :D
It's on an english BMW GS site.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ervoectomy
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

EasyBee wrote:Towerworker,
here's a description of a servoectomy like Chris Harris did on Youtube,
but most important of all, a clear description of how to connect the wires to get the brake light working again :D
It's on an english BMW GS site.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ervoectomy
EasyBee--Many thanks!

I saw this thread over the weekend when I was reading up on the procedure. I think I will start this tomorrow. I'm off and it will be a beautiful day here in Virginia. I'm generally a bit slow when it comes to wrenching but this looks like a very straight forward procedure. I'll report back tomorrow eve.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
k100lt
Basic User

Post by k100lt »

Is the R1150R speedometer electronic or mechanical? If it's mechanical you will have an easier time when removing the ABS servo. If it's electronic you will loose your speedometer function if you remove the complete ABS servo. If it's electronic then you can leave just the controller board on the bike and you will not even have to do any wiring for the brake and tail light.
2004 R1150RT 164,300 miles
1991 K100LT 128,500 miles
1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 399,700 miles
motorcycle_monkey
Basic User

Post by motorcycle_monkey »

k100lt wrote:Is the R1150R speedometer electronic or mechanical? If it's mechanical you will have an easier time when removing the ABS servo. If it's electronic you will loose your speedometer function if you remove the complete ABS servo. If it's electronic then you can leave just the controller board on the bike and you will not even have to do any wiring for the brake and tail light.
Mechanical. I am considering this procedure for the winter. If for no other reason than to get rid of the whine at stop lights...
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

You should leave the controller board on the bike either way. It is a cleaner install and there is no need for cutting wires and installing relays. If you are going to read the UKGSER link, please read the whole thread before doing it.
91 K75RT

EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Always listen to what the doctor says, so this might be the interesting part about not cutting any wires.
Part 1
http://jpramondon.blogspot.nl/2010/05/a ... fully.html
Part 2
http://jpramondon.blogspot.nl/2011/07/b ... pe-so.html
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

I have two prototypes made.
Read through the threads and let me know if you are interested. I will ship it to you. It will protect the electronics and mount it to the existing battery bracket. Factory install and look. The way I look at it, BMWs have no choice but to become classics. We are not looking for a 6 month solution, we are looking for a 30 year solution. Heat, vibration, elements, baby spiders, all of that. If somebody removes the tank in 20 years it should still look like it was made to be there.
That's just me.

Before

After

91 K75RT

towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Well I wasn't paying close enough attention. Pulled the pump today and reattached the brake lines. I had to fashion a small aluminum bracket to attach the fitting to join the two lines for the front. Because of the curved end fittings it took a little doing to get them positioned correctly to where they would not be under strain when turning bars. Somehow "don't cut wires" got past me. I did cut and wired up relay as per the UK link. Everything appears to work properly. I ran out of time this evening and still have to bleed the brakes. But I feel like all went reasonably well. My speedo is mechanical so hopefully I'm ok all around. Have to work tomorrow so doubtful I'll get back to it till Friday. I'm curious though if the computer is kept in the system then extinguishing the warning lights would be another task?
Last edited by towerworker on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
k100lt
Basic User

Post by k100lt »

If you keep the controller board in the system you can remove the ABS relay to get the Brake Warning Light out. The General Warning Light will need the bulb removed. In my case there was no choice about the controller board since my controller board was dead. I used the ABS relay to control my brake light. I used directions for a no cost removal.
Total 399,700 miles
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

So you have no speedo?
91 K75RT

k100lt
Basic User

Post by k100lt »

My R1150RT has a mechanical speedometer so I still had it working. I eventually bought a used servo and reinstalled the ABS. After driving it for about 160k miles with the servo ABS I didn't like it without. I've had ABS on my bikes since 1991 and it has saved me a few times.
Total 399,700 miles
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Both my general and abs warning lamps are out. All other lights seem to be working (sitting still in shop). I had wondered if the abs lamp would still be burning had the abs electronics still connected. Depending on how tired I am after work tomorrow I may try to finish it. I am really looking forward to riding without all that pump noise.

Edit-10/22
Mistake I made was not to read thru the thread completely (didn't see VWdoc's later post till after it was too late) but I've got brake lights working from both front and rear. Just have to tidy up the surgery. I'm anxious to see how the feel of the bike changes. Off to work--gotta go!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

k100lt wrote:My R1150RT has a mechanical speedometer so I still had it working. I eventually bought a used servo and reinstalled the ABS. After driving it for about 160k miles with the servo ABS I didn't like it without. I've had ABS on my bikes since 1991 and it has saved me a few times.
Sorry, I assumed you were talking about your K. K bikes with iABS all have speedo routed through the module.
On the R side there are a few that use the module for speedo function
Rockster (all).
Chromeheads (03+)
R1100S RS (03+)
and probably some other European models 03+.

I have followed the UKGSER thread and cut the harness on my Rockster only to find out that I have no speedometer. Soldering 20+ wires is not fun.
Keeping the module works for all R bikes and it reduces the amount of work. (keeps the process reversible)
91 K75RT

k100lt
Basic User

Post by k100lt »

I made mine reversible even though I didn't use the control board by splicing into the harness instead of cutting the wires. Again my control board was bad. I think it's either 8 or 9 wires that I had to splice. I put a plug on the end of the wires. I then made a harness for the other side of the plug that had all the required jumpers and relay on it. When I eventually found a replacement servo at a reasonable price all I had to do to reverse the wiring was unplug the harness that I had made. I also made a bypass hydraulic line for the front and rear brake. I carry these parts with me now in case I have a failure on my replacement unit. The original unit lasted 160k, so I don't think I will need it before I retire this bike for mileage. It now has about 164k on it.
Total 399,700 miles
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I'm finally done and very satisfied with the results. Was off today and finished it up with bleeding the brakes. The brakes are now quiet and feel like my last R, a 2003 non-abs. The small weight reduction is not all that noticeable to me but regardless I'm pleased with the reduced maintenance. So now I guess I'm left with a very sophisticated paper weight. Just wish it was worth something. Maybe it would make a good BMW table lamp? :lol:
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

=D>

I made a couple beer-caused mistakes as well. but all were easily sorted, using that ukgser link. like wrong brown wire-no lights.... lol felt a little like a bomb squad diffuser guy in a movie. you know? red wire next to the green wire.....? :lol:

Originally, after reading a bit, I had thought that leaving the module only works on certain models. Rocksters... Only later, I found that might not be the case. but... it works either way, I don't mind cutting wires to get the whiny lump out. those specific models(rockster I believe), you MUST do this since the speed is wired through it. :)

anyways. nice work! just dont forget its gone and go flying onto the dirt and grab full brakes. :) :lol:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.