Valve lash adjustment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Freddy
Basic User

Valve lash adjustment

Post by Freddy »

Aquired 2002 R1150R , 10,400mi. Great bike, esp for a 1st one. Removed valve covers to check lash - found loose metal sleeves over gap between valve stems and tappets! Are these a factory thing to quiet noiseon a new machine - to have been removed at 1st service - and never done on this machine? (Cannot even measure existing clearance) Anyone have experience or knowledge? Should I dissassemble rockers and remove?
Last edited by Freddy on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Valve lash adjustment

Post by Boxer »

Never heard of that. Can you get a close-up photo of that? I can't imagine it was not serviced before 10,000 miles. Then I also cannot imagine a 2002 model with so few miles. Post a pic.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

weird. do you mean there's a washer under the nut?

im with Boxer. 10400 miles on a 2002. be ready for weird stuff to fix. these bikes hate sitting. SItting = no reason to do maintenance. flush your brakes and clutch system asap. I bought mine 3 yrs ago with 13k. and have had a few issues with both.

heres a pic of the valves, as they should look. no sleeve... just the locking nut.

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Freddy wrote:Aquired 2002 R1150R , 10,400mi. Great bike, esp for a 1st one. Removed valve covers to check lash - found loose metal sleeves over gap between valve stems and tappets! Are these a factory thing to quiet noiseon a new machine - to have been removed at 1st service - and never done on this machine? (Cannot even measure existing clearance) Anyone have experience or knowledge? Should I dissassemble rockers and remove?

Need a photo.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

My 2002 R1150R has them too. I figure they're supposed to reduce scoring on the valve top (by the adjuster screw) since these cups seem to be made of soft metal.
I've always adjusted the valves with them in place, and it takes a little extra care to make sure the cap's face is perfectly parallel with the valve top when you insert the feeler gauge; if it's not, the gauge will jam into the crooked cup, so you just have to be gentle inserting your gauge ;)
Rich
ADIOS!
Freddy
Basic User

Post by Freddy »

Thanks! Just lacked the confidence!