Won't Start/Reserve

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Won't Start/Reserve

Post by Bogdan »

I've had my 2002 1150R for a year and a half. It currently has 27k miles. This morning was the first time it won't start. It turned over ok; it seemed to be starved for fuel as I didn't smell much gas which usually indicates fuel but no spark. Then again, I have little experience with the Motronic system. As I was riding home, a week ago, the yellow reserve light turned on, but I only traveled 17 miles before parking the bike. Do these bikes have a history of, sometimes, not starting when on reserve ? Should I add a gallon of gas and try again ? Any advice/thoughts appreciated.
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Won't Start/Reserve

Post by Doug »

How did it work out? Just out of gas?
Member #1
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

When you turn the key to the run position, can you hear the fuel pump run, then stop after a few seconds ??
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

I am betting the issue is fuel related. First, how old is the gas that was in the tank? If old and 10% ethanol, it may have experienced phase separation, lowering it's combustibility and ability to fire off. I would add a gallon of fresh fuel, make sure the battery is fully charged and try it again. Even though fuel injected bikes are not as prone to fuel system issues trhan carbed bikes due to ethanol, that doesn't mean they are immune. Always stabilize your fuel if it will be in the bike longer than a month and a half is my rule. Good luck.

PS: a good shot, 1-2 ounces of Berryman's Chemtool has always worked well for me to keep things clean every few tank fulls. Than and religious use of Starbrite or Stabil ethanol fuel stabilizer.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Hopefully by now you've got it going. But just in case.......the above responses are good ones. But I would add my 2 cents. Stay away from ethanol gas if reasonably possible. After adding a gallon or two of gas make sure the pump fuel pump comes on and then shuts off (with energized ignition) and I would make sure the two fuel line quick disconnects are still firmly connected. Also the simple things........tranny in neutral and kill switch set to "run". Amazing how many times we overlook that little switch.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint