Check ALL the bolts!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Check ALL the bolts!

Post by towerworker »

I noticed the clean wiring as well. The rubber sleeving on mine has deteriorated too. But mine has I'm sure many more miles and sits outside much of the time. I do have a cover but only use that when I know rain or snow is coming. Rapidly approaching 80K miles.

Regardless.......your bike is sharp.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
jrsndman
Lifer
Donating Member #: 720

Post by jrsndman »

Buckster wrote:Very nicely done! My wires look about the same. What did you use? How does it work? I usually just don't mess with any electronics so my temporary cheap fix was to wrap the wires in electrical tape! I really like what you did there!
I did the E-tape/rubber splice tape fix a few times. Was really trying to avoid taking the headlight and gauge cluster off to properly fix the wiring. In hindsight, it wasn't that bad and I was waiting on parts so I had the time to spare. I used 3/8" "self closing braided wrap sleeving". I ran it from the connectors under the tank all the way to the headlight (through the grommet in the back of the hosing), the left/right handlebar controls and gauge cluster. Used about 9 feet total. I removed the bottom covers on the left/right controls and ran it all the way in, put a zip tie at either end to keep in place. You'll want to use a hot-knife (or heat it quickly after cutting) to keep it from fraying. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.
ron prior wrote:As has been said,....it surely could have been worse , and surely glad it wasn't !

Not to hijack the thread but......What kind of Aux lights are those & can you show a better pic of them? How'd ya mount them?....Thank's in advance.
Thanks Ron, I'm glad it wasn't worse either. The lights arePIAA 910's. They are mounted to the headlight bolts with some scrap brackets that I had from something (not sure what exactly but, it wasn't moto-related) I'll post a pic for you.
towerworker wrote:I noticed the clean wiring as well. The rubber sleeving on mine has deteriorated too. But mine has I'm sure many more miles and sits outside much of the time. I do have a cover but only use that when I know rain or snow is coming. Rapidly approaching 80K miles.

Regardless.......your bike is sharp.
Towerworker, your bike does have more miles and mine does spend most of its life in a garage but I don't think it matters. A wide variety of BMW's from this time period seem to have this problem. If you look close at this pic, you can see all the exposed wire that was behind the headlight.
Jim
2008 K1200GT
2002 R1150R (Black)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Lifer # 720
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Jim...thanks, seems BMW sometimes sources less than stellar quality components. But also thanks for the Amazon link on the braided sleeving. My next order to Amazon will include that. I had always attributed mine deteriorating to exposure. I've used electrical and rubber tape to protect but that's not a good solution. But your idea is. Thanks.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
jrsndman
Lifer

Post by jrsndman »

ron prior wrote:As has been said,....it surely could have been worse , and surely glad it wasn't !

Not to hijack the thread but......What kind of Aux lights are those & can you show a better pic of them? How'd ya mount them?....Thank's in advance.
One of these days, I'm going to take the brackets off, round the corners and re-powdercoat. Been saying that for a few years now though.

Jim
2008 K1200GT
2002 R1150R (Black)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Lifer # 720
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Another question on the braided wrap sleeving....I really like the idea but I was under the idea that the sleeving would need to be water resistant to protect the wires. Are the wires at risk with the braided sleeving or would they be OK?
Buckster '03R
two wheel tango
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by two wheel tango »

I used electrical tape around the bundle of wires and then put the braided sleeving over it. (still working on it)

The braided sleeving cleans up the look and is sturdy enough to provide abrasion resistance where it's needed.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

two wheel tango wrote:Jim- Looks like you cleaned up the wiring with Techflex sleeves?

(Mine are just as bad - And am currently working on the same)
I used the same stuff - cheap from Amazon and I have lots left over.

This thread has me thinking I need to check my tele-lever ball joint...
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
jrsndman
Lifer

Post by jrsndman »

Buckster wrote:Another question on the braided wrap sleeving....I really like the idea but I was under the idea that the sleeving would need to be water resistant to protect the wires. Are the wires at risk with the braided sleeving or would they be OK?
I thought about water resistance briefly. When my hall effect sensor failed, the water resistant outer jacket was intact. The insulation on each conductor was cracked due to heat. Water got in on a ride in the rain and shorted the wires (leaving me on the side of the road). With that in mind, I think water will get in either way. As long as the insulation on each conductor is ok all will be well.
Jim
2008 K1200GT
2002 R1150R (Black)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Lifer # 720
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

That's scary, I'm going to inspect all my nuts and bolts this weekend before I ride.

Is there any diagram (a cursory online search didn't yield any) that highlights the nuts and bolts to the crucial assembly items which can be used as a quick reference to tighten before riding?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

No local place has a 46 mm deep socket. Not a big deal I can order on online but the question now becomes how do I tighten that 46mm nut?
I can't place the deep socket over it since that frame piece is on top of it and I can't use a 46mm wrench from the side since it's sunken in.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

MThomas,
Look for a gap that would indicate it has loosened up. You should see none. Then carefully drill and wire it up tightly but minimally twisted as shown below.

Edit: To change to better photo provider.
Last edited by CycleRob on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Just to make sure, if I'm looking down at the nut from above, it should tighten clockwise hence the objective of the wire-lock fix is to prevent it from turning counterclockwise (if looking down on it from above), correct?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
jrsndman
Lifer

Post by jrsndman »

MThomas wrote:Just to make sure, if I'm looking down at the nut from above, it should tighten clockwise hence the objective of the wire-lock fix is to prevent it from turning counterclockwise (if looking down on it from above), correct?
That's correct.
Jim
2008 K1200GT
2002 R1150R (Black)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Lifer # 720