Doing a spline lube for the first time.........advice welcome

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Doing a spline lube for the first time.........advice welcome

Post by towerworker »

It's way past time for it's first spline lube. Bike is an '04 with 77K+ miles. No issues whatsoever but I'm overdue and feeling a tad nervous about extended trips until I get this done. I invested in a bike lift (Harbor Freight table style) as I'm getting tired of either bending over or sitting my butt on the concrete. I was unable to do this at 40K due to paralysis from an illness but now I think I can handle the hand dexterity requirements. I've watched some of the YouTube videos on the subject and have a Clymer manual. I think I have the required tools, all the metric hand tools, heat gun, infrared thermometer, torque wrench etc. Also the appropriate Honda moly lube. I've started with all the standard stuff, tank removal, battery and so on. Any words of wisdom, experience and so on is very welcome!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Roger 04 rt

Re: Doing a spline lube for the first time.........advice welcome

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Wayne, Here's some food for thought. Remove the starter, zip tie the clutch lever pulled in and check to see how much the the clutch plate will move before the input shaft moves. If you have none or minimal (say, 1/16"), don't bother with the lube, there's no relative motion to lube. If you have a lot, then you've got more than a lube job in front of you. Roger
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Here is a video showing what you're looking for: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... video.html
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Roger 04 rt wrote:Wayne, Here's some food for thought. Remove the starter, zip tie the clutch lever pulled in and check to see how much the the clutch plate will move before the input shaft moves. If you have none or minimal (say, 1/16"), don't bother with the lube, there's no relative motion to lube. If you have a lot, then you've got more than a lube job in front of you. Roger
This is so true, the plate doesn't move any significant amount and its generally useless to put any grease on that shaft. The only real reason is to prevent oxidation and if your not riding in a bunch of rain or crossing deep streams living on in a VERY high humity area..no point.

Of course if you just want to look at the shaft, well that's different...I guess. If your going to do it anyway, by all means grease it!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Agree with all the above, having laboriously split my previous 04 non-ABS Rockster to absolutely no avail after 30K miles and found not the slightest hint of any spline wear. But if you're determined to carry on with the work and lift the back end high up in the air, having separate God-knows-how-many cable connections and hoses, etc., why not then go the whole hog and use the BMW recommended "Staburags" lubricant :-
https://www.amazon.com/KLUBER-Staburags ... B01BR3H678

and also get some co-operative mechanical engineer with a machine workshop to fit a 6mm spacer to the hub on your clutch plate. Then you can rest content riding your R1150R until the day the funeral party turns up.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Agree with all the above, having laboriously split my previous 04 non-ABS Rockster to absolutely no avail after 30K miles and found not the slightest hint of any spline wear. But if you're determined to carry on with the work and lift the back end high up in the air, having separated God-knows-how-many cable connections and hoses, etc., why not then go the whole hog and use the BMW recommended "Staburags" lubricant :-
https://www.amazon.com/KLUBER-Staburags ... B01BR3H678

and also get some co-operative mechanical engineer with a machine workshop to fit a 6mm spacer to the hub on your clutch plate. Then you can rest content riding your R1150R until the day the funeral party turns up.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Well gentlemen I really appreciate all this input! If I don't need to split it then I won't. I worked part of yesterday doing the above and stopped and took a break. I will do just what y'all have suggested and pull the starter shortly and take a look. I worked a few hours yesterday afternoon and stopped for dinner. Got a bit too relaxed and decided to get back on it this afternoon. I really appreciate you guys chiming in.

I hope all have a really great Easter (it's not about a rabbit!) and again many thanks for the good advice! I will report back shortly with my findings.

Wayne

edit...3:30pm
Happy to report back that I have no play whatsoever. So back together it goes. I will say that the Harbor Freight lift/platform sure makes service so much easier. Just have to make sure you have a 2nd set of hands on the bike when putting it on the platform.

Roger, Mike and Sykospain....thanks for your help and info. It's so much appreciated. This has been on my mind for quite a while and had been putting this off for too long. I do remember reading about checking the spline this way but had forgotten it. Ever since my illness in 2010 I have forgotten so much and struggle to remember stuff. It's great to have this forum for help. Thanks again!

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

take your time, double check yourself as you go. specifically any plugs that might be unseated. long story, that theres a record of HERE. :)

we are here for you. just as you all were here for me. good luck!

EDIT: I see youve done the clutch play check. I did that too. Later, Only deciding to do the whole split, because of leaking gear oil.

And thank you, we had a WONDERFUL EASTER with the Fam. and got a VERY nice ride in, and the R got a very belated bath.

safe riding tower!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Congrats Wayne! My spline and clutch check turned into a clutch spline and input shaft replacement! Looks like you dodged that!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

All back together and running great. It was time for a valve adjust and changing all the fluids (plus of course the antifreeze) so all that was done as well while the bike was up on the stand.

The only mistake was in removing the muffler/silencer and not letting the penetrating oil do it's thing long enough and snapping the bolt in the clamp. A torch and a little persuasion with a hammer was in order to remove the remaining stud in the clamp. I used a grade 8 bolt to replace the bolt as I could tell I was going to snap a replacement 3/8ths stainless replacement bolt.

Thanks again guys!

Vann.......are you liking that new ride?
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Towerworker:- Some time ago I saw a video on the Toob of somebody doing a throttle synch-up job using a pair of liquid-filled clear plastic tubes. Is such a job feasible for a Weekend Warrior like me ? I'm convinced that my throttles are out-of-balance, having checked that the cable ferrules haven't slipped out of their sockets as a result of a tank-lift to install a flying-cable plug for my Optimate.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

New ride is great Wayne! You'll see it at the Bash!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Sykospain.....yes the TB sync is very doable for the weekend mechanic. Here's a link to a home made manometer by CycleRob. His was the first I ever saw many years ago and then he was up here in Staunton (Va) for a BMW Bash I hosted here in 2015 and had modified it somewhat.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31554&p=242929&hili ... ol#p242929
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

^ that is VERY near how I made mine. I used 2 stroke oil.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.