Hand Guards

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Hand Guards

Post by Bogdan »

Anybody have and experience/opinions on hand guards for our R1150Rs ? Will GS hand guards work ?
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Hand Guards

Post by gregor »

Fixing hand protectors 2015. My thread.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Yes on the GS handguards. They will fit with minimum fuss (if any). Had them on the '03 I owned. And now on my '04. Worth every penny for keeping wind blast off hands in winter.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

+1 on the GS hand guards. I know I did dremmel away some plastic at the front where all the cables come in although I heard of guys using them without doing so.
Buckster '03R
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

+1
I didn't not do any dremmeling. I rotated the banjo bolt from the clutch reservoir IIRC to get it to pass through the GS hand guard. Great investment. I just added BikeVis bullets and LED light pods to them for more front end conspicuity.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll buy some.I wrote to some guys directly but thought I would add to this question to the thread: What brand of hand guards are of a good quality and the ones that are easy to install? Are they a BMW product? Touratech makes some. Gregor's 2015 thread doesn't speak well of Wunderlitch.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Mine are BMW. I bought the oem guards when I owned my '03. Don't remember what they cost though. I don't remember them being all that much. I didn't have to make any cuts, as others have said I just loosened associated hardware and got them to fit. My '04 came with them. I don't have any experience with other brands though.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

I bought a set of generic ones online for my '04; they were not long enough to install; fortunately they were cheap. Bought the "best" set at Cycle Gear, supposedly on sale at 1/2 price (about $45). They mounted up fairly well, seem to be well built and durable. Did have to remove the Throttlemeister installed by PO. I'm happy with the Cycle Gear product and 45 dollars is still pretty cheap.
Steenw
Basic User

Post by Steenw »

Sorry to revive this topic after 1.5 years, but my question seems right on topic. I am looking for low-cost hand guards for weather protection only. I want to have them easily installed on my 2001 r1150r in the cold months and as easily removed in summertime.
I read about these F650 Funduro hand guards that would fit on the r1150r with the product # 31-42-345-288. I was unable to find anything with this number though. When I check the RealOEM BMW part catalog I find part # 32712316588 for the Funduro hand guards.
Does anyone know if these are the same? Or even better, know if they really fit?

Best regards, Willem
racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Post by racurley »

Search this forum for "Cheap Guy Strikes Again". I can't seem to copy a link to the post on my iPad. I bought some handguards from Amazon a couple of years ago. Took them off one summer but let them on this summer. Still holding up fine.
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

That time of year I guess, I was going to ask about hand guards myself especially since the temps have been dropping here. Appreciate the Amazon tips racurley, I'll have a look there and see what turns up. And interesting aside, but it seems photo bucket photos are now showing in threads again where they had been missing across most forums for a while now.
dark_knight87
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by dark_knight87 »

I had some GS hand guards on my '05. I went to the Motorcycle Show in Birmingham UK last year and when I returned to my bike in the 'Secure' bike park some thieving toerag had stole them! - at least they didn't take the bar end weights, just the guards - it must have been a GS owner, who else would want some scuffed up old hand guards?

Regards,
Russ
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Well...I am in need of a pair, but I wasn't anywhere near Birmingham last year ;)
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

When I looked around none of the after market stuff was of a good quality. I went with BMW guards made for a GS - not cheap but not outrageously expensive. These are better quality than the Moose brand I had on my KLR. I don't consider myself an especially talented mechanic even though I've been doing it all my life. A guy- who does possess wrench acumen- helped me install them. We didn't have to cut anything but installation was like figuring our a Rubik's cube. The sequence of what to fasten and move ( the banjo bolt ) is the key. It took us well over an hour to install the first side. With that knowledge attained, the next side took twenty minutes. Love the guards - not only for winter....who likes bugs up the sleeve
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I went with the BMW R1150GS OE handguards on both the Rocksters that had them fitted.

I also found these 'bar-muffs' fitted over them very neatly : https://www.nippynormans.com/handguard- ... c-and-more

I think mine are an older model though.

Incidentally, they also fit nicely over the K1200R handlebars, where I have R1200GS handguards fitted. :) ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

The 2002 R1150R had Bark Busters on it. I traded the plastic part out for Acerbis guards with LED lights in them to be more visible. Connected them to the useless running light curcuit in the Headlight shell with no relay.
Bark Busters:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... NoVjk3RXNB
Acerbis:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... xDQ1lId3B3
Lighted:https://photos.app.goo.gl/ocjavZ8iZx7qRsfTA
Cheers!
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Man those look bright as heck. Love it!

What kind of rear view mirrors and screen do you have on there?
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

sstein wrote:Man those look bright as heck. Love it!

What kind of rear view mirrors and screen do you have on there?
Thanks, search eBay for 10mm Black universal mirrors, currently under $13 for a pair from China. I did have to trim some thread off and use the stock nuts for clearance. Less vibration and larger field of view than the round stockers.

The Windshield is a Givi universal AF with adjustable top section. Removable for warmer weather.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao