What octane gas do you put in?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

What octane gas do you put in?

Post by MThomas »

I've been using 93 but no where on the lid or the rest of the bike does it say to do so.
I read some folks online are using 87 in their BMWs.
If I'm just using commuting on this bike (no racing or long rides), is there any reason to keep using 93?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
todehnal
Basic User

Re: What octane gas do you put in?

Post by todehnal »

I always use premium, and usually ethanol free, except when traveling. I have an airplane that required premium auto fuel, so I keep a 55 gal tank with an electric pump on it and fuel from home most of the time. It's hard to find, and a bit pricey, but I do find 93 octane without ethanol locally in western KY. I don't know of anyone using 87 octane in an oil head boxer. Hope that helps...........Tom
2004 R1150R
windy
Basic User

Post by windy »

My 04 R1150R has a sticker on the fuel cap that recomends 89 octane
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Good to know, I'll drop down to 89 and see if if I notice any difference
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I'm running on 95 or 98 octane without ethanol. But 95 is lowest availlable in the Netherlands.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I've run 87 when it was the only thing available and the bike seemed happy on it. I've also used something only called GAS once when I almost ran out on a Native American Reservation, I asked what the octane rating was and the person looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.
Normally I run 92/93 octane (US rating)
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

This is kinda like asking, "What's the best kind of oil?" so I expect you'll get divergent answers, but ultimately it depends on several factors including the engine tuning (esp. timing and compression), temperature, amount of carbon in the heads, riding style, etc., but practically is determined by the lowest octane you can use without causing destructive "pinging". In winter I can run regular, but in summer I use mid-grade to avoid pinging on harder acceleration.

Note that US octane is different than European octane, and both are specified on my filler cap. In the US, it says to use 89 minimum octane.

In fact, if you use higher octane than you need, you are not only wasting money, it's creating more carbon in your combustion chamber which will increase the compression ratio requiring higher octane gas to avoid pinging. It's a vicious spiral...
Rich
ADIOS!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

as sunbeemer said....way too much is said about fuel octane ratings. High numbers don't do anything for you unless youre making tons of compression, and heat. Or have advanced timing or high load...yada yada yada. Think of octane, as a level of stability. Therefore, it takes more heat and pressure to ignite it, the higher it is.

it says to use 89, but the best tank of gas, MPG wise i ever got, was 87 ethanol crap. lol occasionally, Ill get 91, or even 93, in the heat of summer....

Had a friend spending 8/gallon for 108 aviation gas for his race quad. Doesn't gain you anything. but damn it sure smells good. LOL
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Use the lowest octane you can with the engine "knocking". You'll know if it knocks. In the warmer months, March through November, I can't get away with anything under 93.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

R4R&R wrote:Use the lowest octane you can with the engine "knocking". You'll know if it knocks. In the warmer months, March through November, I can't get away with anything under 93.
Have you hit 160k yet on the odometer? I just always use 91 or higher. There are also certain areas of the country that seem to have better gas with less ethanol etc. Western Virginia and West Virginia seem to stick out to me as having better fuel than I get at home in Ohio.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I have logged over 135,000 miles between two R's. I've found what matters more than the octane rating of the gas is the type and quality of the antifreeze used in the R. I've run only the real deal from BMW. I will trust none other when it comes to coolant. Here's a link as well:

https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-BMW-Cool ... reeze+blue

Since we're on the subject......I also only air up my tires at the BMW dealership. The air used there is shipped directly in from Berlin.

Tell 'em Towerworker sent you!!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I filled up with 89 over the weekend, runs better then ever
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Post by racurley »

I pretty much stick with the mid-grade and have no issues
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

towerworker wrote:I have logged over 135,000 miles between two R's. I've found what matters more than the octane rating of the gas is the type and quality of the antifreeze used in the R. I've run only the real deal from BMW. I will trust none other when it comes to coolant. Here's a link as well:

https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-BMW-Cool ... reeze+blue

Since we're on the subject......I also only air up my tires at the BMW dealership. The air used there is shipped directly in from Berlin.

Tell 'em Towerworker sent you!!

make sure you use cold air. it helps.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.