Windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Kirya
Basic User

Windshield

Post by Kirya »

I've found a windshield on my local craigslist, which resembles the one pictured below. Is it worth looking at? I'm 5'7'' and struggling from wind buffeting on highway speeds and looking for some relief.
Last edited by Kirya on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyja1
Lifer

Re: Windshield

Post by Hyja1 »

Have you considered the BMW flyscreen? It’s smaller than th some in your photo, but effective in blocking most of the wind off your chest area. It’s a good looking screen but pricy at $300.00 plus....
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

Fly screen? Here is my current setup (below). I'm going to try that long one. It appears to be ZTechnik Z2332, was new in box
Last edited by Kirya on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

I have had that screen on my bike since new (it was sold as the BMW touring screen at the time; now it’s called the ZTechnik R1150R tall screen). It is the best windshield I’ve had on any motorcycle I’ve owned). Good protection, little buffeting, easy to see over. Great product.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I've used that screen in the wintertime to keep warmer, but I use the Sport Screen the rest of the year. It seemed loud for some reason, but it's OK with earplugs. It kept the wind off my torso but buffeted the top of my helmet, so I added a Laminar Lip which smoothed out that headbanger considerably. I'm 6'+ tall so you may not have that problem. Good luck with it!
Rich
ADIOS!
JeffEd65
Basic User

Post by JeffEd65 »

Too funny. I have had that touring screen on for 3 years. Got sick of the buffeting at highway speeds. Tried the laminar lip too. I’m 6’2”. Also using the high seat which I’m fairly sure contributes to the issue. Just installed the flyscreen (a.k.a. “Speedster” in the parts catalog) last weekend. There is definitely more breeze but it’s smooth air. Going with it for now.
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

The 2002 came with this two piece adjustable windscreen. It works really well and can even be adjusted and locked on the fly. The gap minimizes buffeting. Shown in the low position.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FzIGIhLmH1mAyDpI2

In July and August I remove the top section (slides right out) to get more air. It's a universal from Givi as I recall.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z6ck0ovuQkrSoPx82

I just leave it on all the time now. Not the best looking shield, function before form I say.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

Thanks to all for informative replies. It looks like that windshield will work for me and could be even overkill in height. So I will keep two screens and switch as needed, and report my impressions here.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Oh no - not another windscreen thread ! !
You should see the acres of discussion about screens on the Honda forums. Very few people ever seem to get a truly satisfactory and effective solution to buffeting and noise. Except of course Goldwing and HD riders crouched behind their barn-doors.
This is mine, and means I can ride at almost any speed except above 150kph without earplugs compacting my wax...
Notice how high above the top of the mirrors it is.

https://s26.postimg.org/r456015jd/Secde ... 165_HP.jpg
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

That's RT size.
I prefer the MRA roadster vario screen, adjustable and fits on the mounting brackets of the small BMW speedster screen.

8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
echo42kp
Basic User

Post by echo42kp »

OK, let's regurgitate this one. After 7 years on my 2002 r1150r, I am finally in the position to do some longer rides and touring type of stuff. I have a small Givi windscreen that is more a nuisance than anything else. I am looking for a large windscreen that offers the most protection from the wind. The only thing I have found is one from Ztechnik.

Looking for recommendations, I am 6'1" if that matters.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I use the stock sport screen most of the time but can switch to the larger touring screen in colder weather, but I prefer the sport screen for less buffeting and noise. I also am 6'1" and ride a high seat.
Rich
ADIOS!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've the BMW touring screen. I'm only 5'9" but sit a bit higher because of the Sargent seat. I had a Laminar Lip but lost it on a high speed pass of a truck. Blew off, never could find it. I made my own using some scraps of Plexiglas from Lowes. I've set it to where I'm just looking over the top of the lip for maximum wind protection and minimum noise and buffeting around my helmet. Works well for me.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

There's currently a couple of screens in the for sale section, fyi.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Not another forum windscreen thread !!

We ought to remember guys 'n' gals, that we love riding motorcycles, which pass freely through flowing air and cause noise in our lugholes and buffeting in our helmets.
It's a fact of life, unless you confine yourself to a Hyundai i10, ( ten thousand made PER DAY ! Delivering 80mpg ) or use a barn door screen like the one on my Honda auto-tranny 750 twin - a DREAM of a bike. Knocks spots off any Beemer for design innovation, build-quality, performance and finish.

No wonder Honda-San calls the BMW motorcycle a Bavarian Tractor !

But what I REALLY want next is the new Zero SR/F

This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Let me throw this one out there...

Is there any chance the Givi D233S Windscreen attachment points, designed to fit the R1150GS (Same headlights) will align to the Rockster mounting points?

Asking bc they are 1/2 the price of a Ztechnik S2335 Rocskter windscreen.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Just another vote for the BMW flyscreen, which was a brochure option from new. Much less noise and turbulence than my previous MRA two piece windscreen (Made in Germany). Painful blustering, like pencils being jabbed in ones ears. Will be in the bin soon, unless anyone local in the UK wants it.
The slipstream from the BMW screen goes over my head- feels like 2" above- and removes all pressure from my chest. I use a standard height seat and am 6'1" tall. I bought mine second hand, complete,five years ago, at around £75 after chasing a few on eBay.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Gavin wrote:Let me throw this one out there...

Is there any chance the Givi D233S Windscreen attachment points, designed to fit the R1150GS (Same headlights) will align to the Rockster mounting points?

Nope.

The Rockster only shares 1 part with the standard GS - the actual headlight units. The rest of the nacelle is either Rockster specific (including the top-yoke, headlight support brackets, eyebrow, headlamp shrouds etc) or from the R1100S (instrument panel).

Anything Rockster specific is expensive because there simply aren't many Rocksters around, so accessories are not particularly good for high sales figures.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

riceburner wrote:
Gavin wrote:Let me throw this one out there...

Nope.

The Rockster only shares 1 part with the standard GS - the actual headlight units. The rest of the nacelle is either Rockster specific (including the top-yoke, headlight support brackets, eyebrow, headlamp shrouds etc) or from the R1100S (instrument panel).

Anything Rockster specific is expensive because there simply aren't many Rocksters around, so accessories are not particularly good for high sales figures.
Thank you! I had my doubts, but wanted to throw that one out there just in case....

I recently came across images of an entirely different headlight fairing that looks to be standard on the Rocksters that were imported to Japan (or possibly a really well done aftermarket product):

www.s-sc.co.jp

If you find the R1150R/Rockster/850R link on the right, there are two bikes (different colors) that have this fairing, which includes a windshield.
Pretty sweet! No idea if you can get these separately...